Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Jurisprudence,

Courts are finally pointing out the racism behind voter ID laws

Laws targeting minority voters are no different today than they were during the Jim Crow era

Last week, a federal appeals court struck down North Carolina’s omnibus voter suppression law — a law so jam-packed with voting restrictions targeted at poor, minority communities that its moniker was the “monster law” ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/03/courts-are-finally-pointing-out-the-racism-behind-voter-id-laws/

Last edited:

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

Judge blocks North Dakota's voter identification law

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A federal judge on Monday blocked North Dakota's voter identification law after a group of American Indians said it unfairly burdens them — the latest court ruling against voting laws that critics say disproportionately affect minorities.

U.S. District Judge Daniel Hovland issued a temporary restraining order and criticized the state for its 2013 repeal of provisions that let people without valid IDs vote if someone vouched for them or if they signed an affidavit swearing they were a qualified voter ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-blocks-north-dakotas-voter-identification-law-203438169--election.html

FILE - In this Sept. 4, 2012 file photo, North Dakota Secretary of State Al Jaeger speaks at a news conference in Bismarck, N.D. A federal judge on Monday, Aug. 1, 2016, blocked North Dakota's state's voter identification law after it was challenged by a group of American Indians, who alleged it unfairly

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
:facepalm:

This Georgia County Keeps Electing White People Because It Discriminates Against Minorities: Lawsuit

“There’s a disconnect between the leadership in Gwinnett County and the reality of the diversity”

WASHINGTON ― Minorities made up more than half of the population of Gwinnett County, Georgia, in 2010. But thanks to discriminatory election rules, the county has never elected an African-American, Latino or Asian-American candidate to any county office, voters and civil rights groups alleged in a federal Voting Rights Act lawsuit filed Monday ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lawsuit-georgia-voter-racial-discrimination_us_57a8b7c6e4b06adc11f0b1de

JOHN AMIS/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Presidential primary voting in Doraville, Georgia in 2008

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

NAACP leaders arrested during voting rights protest in Virginia

(Reuters) - NAACP President Cornell William Brooks and Stephen Green, the body's youth director, were arrested on Monday in a congressman’s district office in Virginia over a six-hour sit-in protest on voting rights, the NAACP said.

The men were cited for the protest at the office of U.S. Rep. Bob Goodlatte in Roanoke, Virginia to demand restoration of parts of the Voting Rights Act, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said in a statement ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/naacp-leaders-arrested-during-voting-rights-protest-virginia-052303507.html

NAACP President Cornell William Brooks poses backstage during the 47th NAACP Image Awards in Pasadena, California February 5, 2016. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok

Al D

We become that which we repeatedly do..
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 24, 2015
Florida
africafifth.net
Occupation
Retired Business Owner
:facepalm:

This Georgia County Keeps Electing White People Because It Discriminates Against Minorities: Lawsuit

“There’s a disconnect between the leadership in Gwinnett County and the reality of the diversity”

WASHINGTON ― Minorities made up more than half of the population of Gwinnett County, Georgia, in 2010. But thanks to discriminatory election rules, the county has never elected an African-American, Latino or Asian-American candidate to any county office, voters and civil rights groups alleged in a federal Voting Rights Act lawsuit filed Monday ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lawsuit-georgia-voter-racial-discrimination_us_57a8b7c6e4b06adc11f0b1de

JOHN AMIS/ASSOCIATED PRESS
Presidential primary voting in Doraville, Georgia in 2008

I understand that there is a lawsuit pending to address these issues but nevertheless we see once again where there is blatant and obvious tampering ( redrawing districts) with the voting process to secure white candidates...This is the type of nefarious and contemptuous intentional subjectively biased acts of collusion that white folks get away with as though it's another morning of eggs and bacon for breakfast..They will go to any extreme to maintain power and we need to match that behavior...The link below reinforces what you are speaking about brother Clyde:
Diluting The Minority Vote

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
I understand that there is a lawsuit pending to address these issues but nevertheless we see once again where there is blatant and obvious tampering ( redrawing districts) with the voting process to secure white candidates...This is the type of nefarious and contemptuous intentional subjectively biased acts of collusion that white folks get away with as though it's another morning of eggs and bacon for breakfast..They will go to any extreme to maintain power and we need to match that behavior...The link below reinforces what you are speaking about brother Clyde:
Diluting The Minority Vote

Thanks for the additional information, quite timely and relevant brother Al D.

bientempo

Oct 11, 2009
Dominican Republic
Coming from a country that has a national ID, I don't understand the problem. Here if you have a cedula you can vote, no cedula no vote! A foreign resident's cedula has NO VOTA on the back. Cedula's are given when you reach the age of 18 (voting age) they are renewed every few years. IN the US don't you all have a social security number why not use that as the voter ID.

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Coming from a country that has a national ID, I don't understand the problem. Here if you have a cedula you can vote, no cedula no vote! A foreign resident's cedula has NO VOTA on the back. Cedula's are given when you reach the age of 18 (voting age) they are renewed every few years. IN the US don't you all have a social security number why not use that as the voter ID.

No doubt, voting in America needs an overhaul. And below is as simple as it gets, and should be done:

"Cedula's are given when you reach the age of 18 (voting age) they are renewed every few years."

Live Sunday 12 Noon ET!

Brother OldSoul - Consciousness Raising Online

Latest profile posts

Ms Drea wrote on Kemetstry's profile.
Brother Kem.. Marva Collins passed June 24, 2015
Sister Destee how have you been? It's been a while but I'm glad to be back. I see many changes so I'll browse around to get my feel of things again
sekou kasimu wrote on Destee's profile.
Jambo! I deleted a post that was a duplication. Both were deleted!!! Can you find it and repost it for me? I put a lot of work into it!
Destee wrote on shaka64's profile.
Hi Brother shaka64 ... Welcome Home! :heart:
Destee, my Sister!! I am sending you greetings with love from a rainy and relentless overcast Michigan! But you continue to bring sunshine into my life and for that I am eternally grateful! I LOVE the new look and features in the community. I hope you're enjoying your best life. Love and peace...:heart: