Black Education / Schools : Counterproductive Black trends that i've noticed in Universities?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by WhatNeedsToBeDone, Sep 13, 2013.

1. WhatNeedsToBeDone

WhatNeedsToBeDone Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Ok, I have attended two colleges/universities in two different US regions so I have pretty diverse experience in this.

These are the three things that I find a lot of people, especially a lot of blacks doing:
    1. Major in unmarketable things
    2. Stop at a Bachelors degree in a field that requires even more advanced education
    3. A lot of Blacks go to unreputable schools

Now let me elaborate..

1. I have noted a disproportionately high amount of black people major in things that are *generally* unmarketable. This includes,but is not limited to: Ethnic/Gender studies, Theatre, Dance, Music, Sports Medicine, Communications, Fine Art, etc. Don't get me wrong, these can be very interesting things to know about but they are generally unmarketable and won't advance (or maintain a) high socioeconomic status. Oh, and these do make decent minors as well but as an academic major: not a good idea for somebody who plans on making their degree help them towards socioeconomic success. However, I see a lack of blacks in marketable and STEM majors such as (Engineering, biology/chemistry, physical therapy, computer science and most business-related fields).

*However, I have noticed a good amount of black women move towards medical fields which is a step in the right direction..HOWEVER, this is usually in the entry level and moderately paying fields (medical assistant, home health care aides, nurses aide, etc).

2. This is a trend I specifically notice with a lot of black women. A lot of black women go for things such as Psychology and Teaching/Education; and some get their BA's but then stop at that. For anybody who knows that field, it's clear that you need AT LEAST your MA for even a fighting chance at getting a respectable/sustainable job. Many of these people end up in extraordinary debt and end up worse off then they would've been if they didn't even attend school.

3. A lot of blacks go to unreputable, unaccredited and 'bottom-of-the-barrel' schools. These include but are not limited to crappy state colleges with acceptance rates higher than 70%; online schools like University of Pheonix, ITT Tech and Walden; degree mills; and lesser-known HBCU's- not knocking all HBCU's, my dad graduated from HowardU. If you have some of those schools on your resume then it really wouldn't help you look competitive to employers. I actually know of stories where employers would throw away a degree from U. Phoenix- and when you look at the ethnic makeup of U.Phoenix, blacks are disproportionately represented. NOW, I actually started off at a 2-year school due to an undecided major but I eventually transferred to a much superior school so I believe CC's are good as long as you eventually have a bigger plan in mind.

Be honest:
    - Have you seen some of these trends?
    - What can be done about it?
    - Is anybody here in one of these positions and would like to share their story?

And ultimately what is your solution to this?

So if any of you have any rational and relevant input or comments then please post it..

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    all i have to say is that if u are going to make general statements as u have...knocking black folks...have some source data to at least go off of...speaking from the perspective of a black person who graduated from purdue with a mathematics degree with a minor in computer science after partying to hard at famu trying to get a mechanical engineering degree....

one love
    khasm

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I don't know anyone in the teaching profession who stopped at a BA degree. Credentialing requirements require one year graduate study and many states have professional growth and development requirements which typically result in years of graduate work.

Secondly, as someone who graduated from a major university, completed graduate work at a CSU, and am getting ready for another program at UOP, most employers are more concerned with my years of management experience, not how many degrees I hold. But who knows. I'm in my 50s.

I disagree with you about the teaching profession. It can be rather lucrative for those with advanced years of work experience, with opportunity to work in capacity other than strictly classroom. Before I early retired I was earning over 65k. A little over 6k a month. But I had about 128 graduate units.

4. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

I did not make generalizations.

I said the "TRENDS" in which I have noticed.

TRENDS.

I also went out of my way to use "alot", "lack of" and "disproportionately high" instead of "every", "all" and other blanket statement which would suggest that there were no exceptions.

Obviously since you claim to have a mathematics [STEM] degree from a reputable university then I was not referring to you. And I made it clear that I was not referring to people in your category. Here is an article that shows the lack of blacks in STEM majors:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/stem-education-and-jobs-d_n_1028998.html

On another note: The problem with a lot of black folks (especially a lot of ones who identify as "Afrocentric") is that they mistake constructive criticism for somebody trying to "knock them", "hold them down", 'after them', "break them", etc. I wasn't knocking black people but highlighting some things that can be improved for the sake of overall socioeconomic progress.

5. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

The teaching field pays GREAT in many areas. Where I live in New York [Long Island], most public school teachers make over $90k a year.

BUT the main issue is that many public school systems are laying off due to the recession and budget cuts. Most of the few school systems who didn't lay off are holding on for dear life trying to keep the teachers that they already have. Many people in education end up working at private schools, which oftentimes pay much less than public schools and have less benefits. I know of many teaching jobs whom have 200+ applications and no i'm not even exaggerating.

Maybe things are different in other parts of the country but in my region, it's very hard for a teacher....especially those without certification. And in the State of New York, public school teachers are required to have a masters degree.

6. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
  7. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472

i love the smart dummies that come to this site...lol

trend (tr[​IMG]nd)
    n.
    1. The general direction in which something tends to move.
    2. A general tendency or inclination. See Synonyms at tendency.
    3. Current style; vogue: the latest trend in fashion.
    one love
    khasm

8. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

Yes, meaning that there are many exceptions!

Generalizing is lumping all of a group into one.

Denying reality and playing semantics really doesn't help anybody. So let's please stay on topic, people. Anybody have anything worthwhile to contribute or will there just be more knitpicking?

Please act like you got some education, lol

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472

on this site u have to dot ur i's and cross ur t's son...we won't let u get away with blowing smoke up our a_ses...

one love
    khasm

gen·er·al·ize (j[​IMG]n[​IMG][​IMG]r-[​IMG]-l[​IMG]z[​IMG])
    v. gen·er·al·ized, gen·er·al·iz·ing, gen·er·al·iz·es
    v.tr.
    a. To reduce to a general form, class, or law.
    b. To render indefinite or unspecific.
    a. To infer from many particulars.
    b. To draw inferences or a general conclusion from.
    a. To make generally or universally applicable.
    b. To popularize.

10. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    It would be much more constructive to see the main point in this. The central idea just flies over a lot of people's heads on this forum which is very interesting..

Now let's redo. 3.....2.....1....START!

Who can identify with the trends that I am seeing? And why?
    Who can't identify with the trends that I am seeing? And why?
    If you also find this to be an issue then what could be done about it?