Justice Council : Council Members Must ... (Add Your Must Haves For Council Members)

butterfly#1

Respect is most definitely a top prerequisite for council members. So is earning that respect. Now's the time for those interested in being a member to start demonstrating these traits.

I feel that Council members must be above reproach.
If someone comes up for review, and a Council member is showing some phase of indifference to the reviewee, then that member should recuse themselves.

After all this will be a Council of judgment.

Love and Hugs Always

Asomfwaa

I disagree with you on the clique stuff ... we've always been diverse and i think we've successfully avoided sanctioned cliques here at destee ... sure a Member may like another Member, they may form a pact, or email away from the site, or talk on the phone amongst themselves with a few others ... i don't consider that a clique ... but ... i hear you .... and i'd attend that debate, front and center, if someone wanted to claim that this community is full of cliques ... that actually influences outcomes. I don't believe it.
I'm of the opinion that street traffic looks different depending on the vehicle one is in and the area.

The pilot of a helicopter, or the captain of a ship, or even the walker, may not look at street traffic as much; but the man stuck in the middle will see it as a lot.

In real-time, certain behavior appears cliquish, even if it isn't necessarily a clique. I.e. focusing on a thread, one person makes a comment on another, many others opine similarly, then a disagreement and similar opinions, then an all-out dispute. Really, it's only a drop in the water if you look at the many threads, but if you are present and focusing on that drop, it's a waterfall replete with what looks like cliques and so forth.

Maybe you are right. Standing back, it's not a clique. But some say, "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck it's probably a duck." :)

Love you back!

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
I'm of the opinion that street traffic looks different depending on the vehicle one is in and the area.

The pilot of a helicopter, or the captain of a ship, or even the walker, may not look at street traffic as much; but the man stuck in the middle will see it as a lot.

In real-time, certain behavior appears cliquish, even if it isn't necessarily a clique. I.e. focusing on a thread, one person makes a comment on another, many others opine similarly, then a disagreement and similar opinions, then an all-out dispute. Really, it's only a drop in the water if you look at the many threads, but if you are present and focusing on that drop, it's a waterfall replete with what looks like cliques and so forth.

Maybe you are right. Standing back, it's not a clique. But some say, "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck it's probably a duck." :)

Love you back!

Just because something appears cliquish .... does not mean it is.

Yeah ... try to focus on the "big picture" as much as you can ... for this job ... :wink:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Angela22

My thoughts to this were the following(it may be long, so bear with me):

DCJS Membership: The DCJS, or Destee Community Justice System, is one that should be for all members of the board who are able and willing.

I know it was suggested that those who frequently break site rules shouldn't be considered for the council, but I don't think that should remain a permanent stigma on said member if they can provethemselves able to behave for so and so many (let's say 6) months forward from the initial violation.

Once they have proven themselves able, then, if they are willing, they should ask to have their name added to the DCJS council members list(I'll speak on that in a moment). They, like all others listed, will be eligible for active council membership of DCJS, which should rotate its members out every month or so; but this eligibility is only so long as they are still behaved in the months they are listed. If one is caught in another violation, for another 6 months, their name will be excluded from the list, and must again be asked to be added.

DCJS Council Members (List): Now, the DCJS council members list should be a thread started and headed by someone willing to keep up with all who want to be apart of the effort. They should be able to keep up with constant updates as to who's eligible to be on the council and who isn't, at the time. With these constant updates, they should edit the top post accordingly, so that all members of the site are able to access those who are eligible to the council and also, those who are active on the council. (I'll try to place a visual below on how the list should be.)

(The Council itself should be no more than 5 members at a time; too many members, and things might not get done because of mass disagreement which is often seen on the forum, itself. And an odd number allows tiebreakers on decisions.)

It should be made up of 3 males and 2 females, or 3 females and 2 males, interchangeably every month, unless absolutely unable to meet such a requirement. This way, none can cry gender bias when decisions are made. Never should it be 4 males 1 female, or 5 females, or anything like that! Try to keep it even.

HBOC/HSOC: There should be a Head of Council, orHBOC/HSOC. That is, Head Brother/Sister of Council, that any member with a complaint sends their complaint directly to, unless unavailable, in which case, another council member may take it up and hold such a complaint until the absent member can get around to it.

The HBOC/HSOC should decide whether any complaint forwarded to them is one the council should handle alone, or if it is a matter serious enough to be forwarded to Destee and her moderators instead.

If it is decided that it is minor enough that Destee needn't get involved, then the HBOC/HSOC will try to reach a resolution by talk with the other 4 members therein.

DCJS Council Decisions: The council will collectively decide how to handle each complaint that comes their way. For example, they may decide to message the one complained against with a sort of "cease and desist" toward whatever might be causing disturbance, or may decide that the one filing the complaint may be showing a biased against another's post(s) and simply wants to complain. If they feel it's too serious, then, again, they can forward such a complaint to Destee instead, which will be the final say, as we all know.

DCJS Council Member Requirements: No active council member can have another member on "ignore". Biases must be set aside, as well as any grudges if one wants to be apart of the effort.

You must be able to hear all complaints, and ignoring some members might not allow for this.

You must have time enough to actually be here for your duties; maybe not every single day, but at least somewhere in the week.

One has to have been an active member for at least 6 months.

You have to make your gender known, so that others know there isn't any bias.

If you cannot bring yourself to meeting these standards, for any reason, then you shouldn't include your name in the council members list.

DCJS users: If you decide to use or be a partaker of the DCJS, which is recommended so as to lighten the load on Destee, herself, then you agree to not toss aside the decisions made based on your complaints. You agree not to shout "bias!" every time a decision doesn't go your way, but to take each decision as a true effort in trying to settle any problems that may have arisen. You agree to, yourself, put in an actual effort into settling said issue as soon as possible without bringing in any members, unnecessarily, because of your grievances.

Complaints/Issues: Problems that should be brought up before the council should be ones such as listed:

Perceived cyber-bullying(which may include (unwanted)stalking, harassment, etc)

(Un)Intentional disruption of peace

(Un)Intentional personalizing of threads

Threats against another member

Content too inappropriate for Destee dot com

Insults that may have not already been reported to upper management

Outright swearing

Intentional trolling of another's thread( to incite disruption,disrespect, etc)

And certain other issues that may have not been listed.

How to file a complaint: When filing a complaint, be sure to check in to see who's "HBOC/HSOC" so that you know who to send your complaint directly to, to keep things organized. You may notget others to vouch for you, since it opens room for bias, but the council may ask the opinions of others who may have gotten involved in whatever issue as to how they perceived the situation, to help make their decision. Whether or not this is done, is based on council decision and may even come to a vote if it should be done at all.

How long: It shouldn't take more than a few hours for a decision to be settled on any one complaint, but if taken up to a week, for whatever reason, it should likely be forwarded to Destee so that a more immediate resolution be given.

Heading it off: Every one eligible to be on council should have a time at being HBOC/HSOC; after ones time is up at being in charge of council, then there should be a month in between them being able to be head of council once more, so that it's fair for all.

However, that doesn't mean they should have the spot after a month in between, but just that they are eligible, just in case it's necessary for whatever reason.

Every month, it should be someone different, until it comes around again, male female male female, or whatever pattern it starts.

The head may choose their council members, all 4, but must pick 2 males and 2 females available as explained above. Once one has made their decision, the next time around they choose members as the HBOC/HSOC, unless unable, they must pick a different set of members than the last time they headed council, so as not to form any cliques of sorts.

Here is how it might look:

Example:

Male members of council:

Asomfwaa
Clyde Coger
Info-moetry
Enki
skuderjaymes
Chinelo
Kemetstry

Female members of council:

Kadijah
cherryblossom
candeesweet
rapunzal24
butterfly#1
river
legit-writer

Active members on council as of September 2013:

butterfly#1(HSOC(Head Sister of Council)
skuderjaymes
rapunzal24
Enki
river

Number of complaints being actively handled: 3

Number of complaints resolved: 4

Conclusion on thought: Forwarding complaints to the council will give more of a chance to those who may not be fully in the know to get their act together, without being warned by moderators for a violation. And also, it should sort out issues so that they don't reach "violation" level. We want as little formal warnings given out as possible, and want peace to abide here, with little friction.

This was just my thoughts to it; you may love it or hate it.
Decided to place this in the "must haves" for the Council. :)