Black History Culture : Could You Pass The Literacy Test Given To Black Voters In The 1960s?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Alarm Clock, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    [​IMG]
    Last week, in a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court struck down Section 4(b) of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, a key provision in the law that mandated nine states with a history of racial discrimination, mostly in the South, to get federal permission before they could change their voter laws.
    Below are scans of an actual “literacy test” given to black voters by the state of Louisiana in the 1960s. As Slate points out, “There was little room for befuddlement. The test was to be taken in 10 minutes flat, and a single wrong answer meant a failing grade.” Careful readers will note the irony of the typos in this test.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/could-you-pass-the-literacy-test-given-to-black-voters-in-th

2. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    How do I draw a line around something? :confused:

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree, but this test is geared to the person that has knowledge that poor uneducated blacks back then didn't have. You have to know that they mean a circle, because a circle is just one continuous line. But aside from that, each questions has to be read, understood, and answered correctly in approx 20 sec.

Peace!

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Yeah, and by looking at those questions, I doubt more than half this country could accomplish that today.