Honoring Black Ancestors : Could All These Hurricanes Be The Breath of Our Ancestors?

7thPoet

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 30, 2004
Akasha
Occupation
Stress Management Therapist
Can all these hurricanes be divine payback for the atrocities heaped upon us during and after the middle passage?

In honor of my Ancestors I would like to submit that we shall prevail in spite of all the injustice we've suffered in this society.

Consider that of all of mother nature's weather phenomenon, the hurricane is the single most devasting bar none. Earthquakes, avalanches, suname', tidal waves, nothing compares. In fact tornadoes spin off of hurricanes. 97 of which spun off of hurricane Frances and 114 spun off of Ivan.

Hurricanes are so powerfulf that they are considered the most dominant unrestricted weather force in the history of the world. There have been storms that have reached sustained winds of over 200 miles per hour, lasting more than 7 consecutive days, packing more power than all of the worlds nuclear arsenals combined.

I would also submit that hurricanes don't come off the Pacific, the Arctic nor the Indian Oceans. Hurricanes only come off the Atlantic Ocean. They get started around the northwestern or southwestern shore of Afrika and take virtually the same route as the slave trade.

When you consider the devastation and you look for cause, just think about the unjust manner in which America took over Grenada, overthrew their government and inserted their own. Now Grenada has been leveled, even the jail toppled over and the prisoners set free. And Florida. Think of what America did to the Seminoles and all the other tribes and also how they stole the 2000 election. With all these reasons and more in mind I'm asking could these Hurricanes be the "Breath of My Ancestors"

Before replying please consider the following:

“Breath of My Ancestors”
(The Hurricane)
There’s this truth must be told
its force can’t be contained
About the history and the mystery
in the rage of hurricanes
For you must know the reasons
why the gale force winds do blow
And disburse their vicious vengeance
on southeastern States below
See the bodies of my people
through the Middle Passage came
As cargo in slave ships
so a beast could lay quitclaim
And their limbs were battered and broken
by a heathen with no shame
Who stole us from our homes
then promptly changed our names
Now the laws of cause and effect
so appropriately germane
Come collecting unpaid taxes
in the form of hurricanes
You thought our spirits were beaten
you thought our spirits were tamed
But instead of us defeatin’
God’s temper you inflamed
Now retribution comes to visit
on the winds of hurricanes
Storm clouds gather over Africa
full of slavery’s suffering and pain
They marshal their momentum
full of vengeful hard black rain
Dead-set upon America
as if possessed, insane
Since all those cries for mercy
fell on deaf ears in vain
You must feel the wrath
and the fury of hurricanes
For the girls you stole from Senegal
and the boys from the Ivory Coast
The spirit of their ancestors
haunt Carolinians most
Cause of all the slave-ship harbors
in the many ports of call
Yours were the most insidious
the evilest of them all
And for all you island dwellers
to whom this verse pertains
Your shores made shelter for sellers
of human beings in chains
Thus the Breath of My Ancestors
forge a spiritual weather vane
That plots a course of sorrow
via the gale of hurricanes
In cargo holes
you laid 80 million souls
Like spoons in kitchen cabinets
But now the winds blow down
your trailer towns
Leaving tents to pitch and maggots.
And the law of just requital
extracting its just do
Says you must pay
for the games you play
Virginia and Florida too
So, if the next gale wind you hear
evokes real fear
And the terror seems inhumane
It’s just the Breath of My Ancestors
in the spirit of the hurricane.

Copyright Ty Gray-EL September 2000

7th Poet being a Florida resident and reciever of these hurricanes, I must disagree, I think these hurricanes are just storm systems that developed in the atlantic ocean and hit Florida. I do not think there is nothing supernatural about them. We get hurricanes nearly every year here, and this year just happened to be a particuarly active season.

I truly understand your point, but I just have to firmly disagree.

JMO (Copyright Toylin)

Actually brother Manasaic:

7thPoet's statement is more on point than you realize! Not saying that it is true; however, it is a long standing myth among Africans than Hurricanes are a curse for slavery! They do generate off the African coast and sweep through much of the Middle Passage (the Caribbean, and the Southern US). It is something to think about. Of course if it was truly a curse, it would continue to travel North & swing East once it hit the shores of Europe (then there would be no doubt)!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back