Health and Wellness : Could African-American beauty products pose health risks?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Liberty, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    (CNN)One in 12 beauty and personal care products marketed to African-American women in the US contains highly hazardous ingredients, according to research released Tuesday by the Environmental Working Group.
    The organization analyzed more than 1,100 products marketed to black women -- people who identify as African-American as well as those from the Caribbean and other areas -- and found that less than a quarter scored "low" on its hazard scale.

By contrast, 40% of products that are marketed to the general public are classified as low-risk.
    The report said the worst products were hair relaxers, hair colors and bleaching products, which
    studies have linked to potential health harm.
    Ingredients have been tied to hazards including risk of cancer, hormone disruption, developmental and reproductive damage, and allergies.

Read more

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/health/african-american-beauty-products-hazardous/

Could African-American beauty products pose health risks?

A report found that less than a quarter of products aimed at African-Americans could be considered "low risk" while one in 12 had "highly hazardous" ingredients.
    cnn.com

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,130
    Sis. Liberty, I read the article. Thank you for posting this. The products listed with highly hazardous ingredients, such as formaldehyde should not be used at all if you don't want the chance of developing a life threatening disease. The fact that there are fewer alternatives for AA women to choose from doesn't surprise me because we are a unique people, in my opinion, and that's a beautiful thing.

Hair dyes, bleaching products, hair relaxers . . . why put your life, your people's lives and children's lives at such a huge risk? For what?

I want to also add the new rave in wearing a ton of makeup every day to alter (covering blemishes and sculpting) your facial appearance. Products that are made with ingredients from animals and other chemicals that cause health issues should not be used. But somehow, I doubt that will make a difference in AA women's decisions because each one of them will stand in the store reading the labels and think, well, it won't happen to them and buy it anyway because their self-esteem is now attached to the makeup.

Black women are spending a train load of money every year making other people like the Kardashians richer. It seems like everything AA women do cost them a lot more just to look different than what they naturally do. I'm not suggesting don't spend any money on "beauty" products, but be wise when you do and don't let these companies kill you when they push their deadly products on you. If something about the way you look makes you self-conscious and you want to "correct" it, weigh the decision and study the risk first before you go slapping something you bought in a store or online on your face or hair because you saw someone you think is "famous" looking a certain way and you want to be like them. Ain't got their money but you trying to rock their looks with an empty purse. Wake up and rethink that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +944
    To each her own.....

4. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Excellent post, Queenie. The first time I heard anything about all of this was when I was preggers. My Obstetrician was a family friend, so he may have taken special care of me, IDK. But, he advised me to stop straightening my hair while I was pregnant. He explained to me that if you use permanent relaxers while pregnant, the lye in them is passed on to the fetus in the bloodline. He said there was, at that time, (and we now know, that still at this time) no conclusive evidence of all of the damage that lye could be doing to the fetus, but one could speculate that it probably is damaging, as the very nature of lye is damaging.

I agreed with him... that MY common sense would lead me to believe that lye would be dangerous in some kind of way. So, I decided that I did not want lye in my baby's blood, and furthermore, I didn't/don't want it in mine either.

I tried to do my own research on this issue on the internet. The only thing I found was an article that stated that 70% of the children of women who worked in beauty salons had ADD or ADHD. Those Mothers were breathing, and absorbing the chemicals they use through skin contact daily. I had been thinking that the phenomena of rampant diagnoses of ADD/ADHD lately might very well correlate with the use of permanent relaxers.

I wondered how many AA Mothers were warned about the possibility of harm permanent relaxers could do to their babies, as I saw so many pregnant women with straightened hair. Did they know? Did they care? My guess would be that they did not know. That they were not informed. And, that bothers me.

5. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    The Straight Truth About Using Relaxers While Pregnant and 5 Must-Have Products for Natural Hair Care

Transitioning one’s hair while expecting is a dilemma that so many black women face. For many of us, it’s not even a question of whether or not we will continue to relax our hair when pregnant. Going natural while pregnant is one of the best things you can do for your scalp, you hair, and for your unborn baby’s health.

Pregnancy is a time when many women are open to embracing a healthy diet and lifestyle, to protect and nurture their unborn baby while minimizing exposure to toxins. One of the most common fears women that pregnant women face is the fear of exposing their baby to harmful chemicals and toxic substances. Unfortunately our beauty and hair care products contain a fair amount of these toxic ingredients, particularly our hair-straightening products.

Hair relaxers contain a cocktail of harsh chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin of your vulnerable scalp, so for your sake and baby’s, it’s best to err on the side of caution and whip your hair back and forth au natural throughout your pregnancy. Yes, different kinds of relaxers exist, but they all contain strong toxic substances, don’t get it twisted, “no-lye” doesn’t mean no chemicals. The hair absorbs chemicals but the scalp passes them into the blood stream. What passes into the bloodstream can potentially pass through the blood-placental barrier to your baby. There has not been any conclusive research on the effects of repeat chemical exposure of this nature to mother and fetus, but just assume you’re better off without the perm.

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/latham-thomas/perm-while-pregnant_b_1926564.html

The Straight Truth About Using Relaxers While Pregnant and 5 Must-Have Products for Natural Hair Care

Transitioning one's hair while expecting is a dilemma that so many black women face. For many of us, it's not even a question of whether or not we will c...
    huffingtonpost.com

6. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,350
    This is pretty upsetting, but not surprising. I don't get "beauty" these days. It's so warped and disgusting, all at the cost of one's health.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,130
    Hello Noo Yawka, thanks for joining us and contributing to our important conversations. Love your avatar too. :wave:

It's Friday and I'm ready to have a couple of days off and away from the rat race. Mentally, I'm in a good place...feeling relaxed and not "angry" about anything, but something about what you wrote, touched me emotionally and made me think more on the subject.

There was a time, and not all that long ago, when I thought that Black women that straightened their hair, wore european looking weaves and wigs, were self-loathing. But when I read your comments, I reflected on the women in my family, some very powerful and self-loving, Black people loving women, who pressed their hair, and it made me think--were they truly victims of self-hate? I tried to think about this as objectively as possible and my conclusion was no, they weren't.

I've also noticed, as I've aged, that my thinking about these issues have relaxed a bit (pardon the pun). I don't believe there is an answer that you can generalize and apply to ALL Black women who choose to straighten out the coils in their hair. I say this because I see Black women with straight hair one day and kinky curly hair the next--deliberately, not because they got caught in the rain or live in high humidity climates. Like most women, and you can see it throughout ancient and modern cultures, Black women love designing their hair and we like wearing it many different ways.

But, getting back to the purpose of this topic is to reveal to Black women, the dangers of using chemicals and dyes on our hair to achieve a certain look. We don't have to kill ourselves or deform our unborn babies to look a certain way. When I think about it, we do have other and potentially safer options--weaves, wigs, and braids--which Black women have mastered. We claim them as protective hairstyles but when it came to protecting our hair. I doubt that we realize how protective those styles truly can be.

Also, don't forget to read the ingredients on your daily hair care products--creams, shampoo, conditioners, gels and glue and know the ones that are harmful and should be avoided.

Next, let's talk about false nails and the dangers to look out for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  8. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Hi Angela! It's so nice to see your fonts again!

*smile*

Yes, I agree with you. It IS warped and disgusting. And, one of the strangest things about it is that men seem to prefer the natural look, or at least that's what I hear them saying all the time. So, why are women doing all of these things?

9. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Thank you for your response. I don't think an AA woman straightening her hair reveals some kind of "self-hate" either. Skin bleaching? Maybe...

Again, AA women are sooo highly criticized.... White women get their hair corn-rowed, dreadlocked, get lip injections, butt injections, lay in tanning booths, etc.... and no one accuses them of "self-hate".

I guess this is the new, trendy, thing... Accusing one another of "self-hate" when we disagree.

I am most concerned about our health. AA people have always been trendsetters when it comes to fashion. White folks are always copying OUR hairstyles, (and fashions) at the end of the day. They are trying to rock braids, and even dreads, or whatever styles we rock, and no one is accusing THEM of "self-hate".

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,350
    I don't know. It's so weird. I feel that feminism has kind of played a part, but am not quite certain. It's this attitude of whatever a man says he prefers, women do the opposite just to be defiant, ya know?

Because I've seen women who were with men that preferred a more dressed up look purposely dress themselves down just to prove a point that he can't "control" them or tell them what to do.

I remember that as a child watching the women in my family, it used to be when guys said they didn't want a girl to wear a lot of make-up, that was a good thing, because he'd like you for you and not how shallowly you did yourself up.

Now, it seems way too many women my age only have bad things to say about men who like natural hair and face. They drag them so hard just for saying, "please don't wear that much make-up". I be feelin' bad for a lot of guys out here.

Oh and it's nice to see you again, too!