Health and Wellness : Could African-American beauty products pose health risks?

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
(CNN)One in 12 beauty and personal care products marketed to African-American women in the US contains highly hazardous ingredients, according to research released Tuesday by the Environmental Working Group.
The organization analyzed more than 1,100 products marketed to black women -- people who identify as African-American as well as those from the Caribbean and other areas -- and found that less than a quarter scored "low" on its hazard scale.

By contrast, 40% of products that are marketed to the general public are classified as low-risk.
The report said the worst products were hair relaxers, hair colors and bleaching products, which
studies have linked to potential health harm.
Ingredients have been tied to hazards including risk of cancer, hormone disruption, developmental and reproductive damage, and allergies.

Read more

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/health/african-american-beauty-products-hazardous/

Queenie

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
Sis. Liberty, I read the article. Thank you for posting this. The products listed with highly hazardous ingredients, such as formaldehyde should not be used at all if you don't want the chance of developing a life threatening disease. The fact that there are fewer alternatives for AA women to choose from doesn't surprise me because we are a unique people, in my opinion, and that's a beautiful thing.

Hair dyes, bleaching products, hair relaxers . . . why put your life, your people's lives and children's lives at such a huge risk? For what?

I want to also add the new rave in wearing a ton of makeup every day to alter (covering blemishes and sculpting) your facial appearance. Products that are made with ingredients from animals and other chemicals that cause health issues should not be used. But somehow, I doubt that will make a difference in AA women's decisions because each one of them will stand in the store reading the labels and think, well, it won't happen to them and buy it anyway because their self-esteem is now attached to the makeup.

Black women are spending a train load of money every year making other people like the Kardashians richer. It seems like everything AA women do cost them a lot more just to look different than what they naturally do. I'm not suggesting don't spend any money on "beauty" products, but be wise when you do and don't let these companies kill you when they push their deadly products on you. If something about the way you look makes you self-conscious and you want to "correct" it, weigh the decision and study the risk first before you go slapping something you bought in a store or online on your face or hair because you saw someone you think is "famous" looking a certain way and you want to be like them. Ain't got their money but you trying to rock their looks with an empty purse. Wake up and rethink that.

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
Sis. Liberty, I read the article. Thank you for posting this. The products listed with highly hazardous ingredients, such as formaldehyde should not be used at all if you don't want the chance of developing a life threatening disease. The fact that there are fewer alternatives for AA women to choose from doesn't surprise me because we are a unique people, in my opinion, and that's a beautiful thing.

Hair dyes, bleaching products, hair relaxers . . . why put your life, your people's lives and children's lives at such a huge risk? For what?

I want to also add the new rave in wearing a ton of makeup every day to alter (covering blemishes and sculpting) your facial appearance. Products that are made with ingredients from animals and other chemicals that cause health issues should not be used. But somehow, I doubt that will make a difference in AA women's decisions because each one of them will stand in the store reading the labels and think, well, it won't happen to them and buy it anyway because their self-esteem is now attached to the makeup.

Black women are spending a train load of money every year making other people like the Kardashians richer. It seems like everything AA women do cost them a lot more just to look different than what they naturally do. I'm not suggesting don't spend any money on "beauty" products, but be wise when you do and don't let these companies kill you when they push their deadly products on you. If something about the way you look makes you self-conscious and you want to "correct" it, weigh the decision and study the risk first before you go slapping something you bought in a store or online on your face or hair because you saw someone you think is "famous" looking a certain way and you want to be like them. Ain't got their money but you trying to rock their looks with an empty purse. Wake up and rethink that.

Excellent post, Queenie. The first time I heard anything about all of this was when I was preggers. My Obstetrician was a family friend, so he may have taken special care of me, IDK. But, he advised me to stop straightening my hair while I was pregnant. He explained to me that if you use permanent relaxers while pregnant, the lye in them is passed on to the fetus in the bloodline. He said there was, at that time, (and we now know, that still at this time) no conclusive evidence of all of the damage that lye could be doing to the fetus, but one could speculate that it probably is damaging, as the very nature of lye is damaging.

I agreed with him... that MY common sense would lead me to believe that lye would be dangerous in some kind of way. So, I decided that I did not want lye in my baby's blood, and furthermore, I didn't/don't want it in mine either.

I tried to do my own research on this issue on the internet. The only thing I found was an article that stated that 70% of the children of women who worked in beauty salons had ADD or ADHD. Those Mothers were breathing, and absorbing the chemicals they use through skin contact daily. I had been thinking that the phenomena of rampant diagnoses of ADD/ADHD lately might very well correlate with the use of permanent relaxers.

I wondered how many AA Mothers were warned about the possibility of harm permanent relaxers could do to their babies, as I saw so many pregnant women with straightened hair. Did they know? Did they care? My guess would be that they did not know. That they were not informed. And, that bothers me.

Liberty

Banned
Aug 28, 2015
The Straight Truth About Using Relaxers While Pregnant and 5 Must-Have Products for Natural Hair Care

Transitioning one’s hair while expecting is a dilemma that so many black women face. For many of us, it’s not even a question of whether or not we will continue to relax our hair when pregnant. Going natural while pregnant is one of the best things you can do for your scalp, you hair, and for your unborn baby’s health.

Pregnancy is a time when many women are open to embracing a healthy diet and lifestyle, to protect and nurture their unborn baby while minimizing exposure to toxins. One of the most common fears women that pregnant women face is the fear of exposing their baby to harmful chemicals and toxic substances. Unfortunately our beauty and hair care products contain a fair amount of these toxic ingredients, particularly our hair-straightening products.

Hair relaxers contain a cocktail of harsh chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin of your vulnerable scalp, so for your sake and baby’s, it’s best to err on the side of caution and whip your hair back and forth au natural throughout your pregnancy. Yes, different kinds of relaxers exist, but they all contain strong toxic substances, don’t get it twisted, “no-lye” doesn’t mean no chemicals. The hair absorbs chemicals but the scalp passes them into the blood stream. What passes into the bloodstream can potentially pass through the blood-placental barrier to your baby. There has not been any conclusive research on the effects of repeat chemical exposure of this nature to mother and fetus, but just assume you’re better off without the perm.

Read more

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/latham-thomas/perm-while-pregnant_b_1926564.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Breast Cancer Intervention-Older African American Women in Beauty Salons Black Women 0
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : beauty supply store-owner-choking-african-american-woman Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 76
jamesfrmphilly African American History Culture : vintage-photos-show-the-beauty-of-african-american-women-from-between-1920s-and-1940s African American History Culture 2
Senegal Black People : My African American.... Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Next U.S. Navy aircraft carrier to be named after African American Pearl Harbor hero African American History Culture 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Overlooked No More: Bessie Coleman, Pioneering African American Aviatrix Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : US city to pay Reparations to African-American community with tax on marijuana sales Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : First African-American FBI agent finally gets recognition Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black News Channel Focusing On African American Coverage To Launch In January 2020 Black People Doing Positive Things 0
T African American History Culture : African American Deuteronomy vs. Black Autonomy African American History Culture 18
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Many dermatologists need more training on African American skin and hair Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Chicago groups work to document African American history African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African American museum founder discovered dead in car trunk African American History Culture 1
A Black Poetry : For african american girls, african girls, and jamaican girls Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : A “Go Back to Africa” media campaign uses AI to boost African American tourism All Things Africa 16
Al D Black People : Another viable alternative for African American Youth Success Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : African-American, Hispanic deaths by fentanyl overdose rising sharply Black Health and Wellness 0
Perfection Black Money Business Jobs : In Context Series: Why Is Economic Content Missing from African American Studies? Black Money Business Jobs 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀Older African American Women's Discussion on Barriers to Mammography Black Women 0
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Historical Account of Black Gangsterism -Warning for African American Leadership Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Men : In Context Series: The Health of African American Men Black Men 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀In Quest of African American Political Woman Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ Using Fiction by African American Women to Teach Black Women's History Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ African-American Women's Quilting Black Women 0
Perfection Black Women : ▶Speaking of Black Women◀ The History of Grandmothers in the African‐American Community Black Women 0
OldSoul Black People : 'When It Comes To Black People, I Think They’re All Ugly,' Says 16-Year-Old African-American Black People Open Forum 5
Chevron Dove Black Christians : VIDEO-Jews are African American Christian Study Group 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Astronaut expected to be 1st African-American Space Station crewmember won't fly in 2018 after all Black People Doing Positive Things 5
chuck Black People Politics : What Should Be Our Goal For True African-American Political Empowerment In 2018? Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Henry Louis Gates Jr. on his never-ending quest to excavate African-American history African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Oil and gas group says African American ‘genetics’ are to blame for health problems, not pollution Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Meet the 20-year-old African-American woman making US Military Academy history Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Ramadan in Philadelphia's African American community Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : LeBron James to donate $2.5 million to National Museum of African American History Black People Doing Positive Things 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : noose-found-inside-national-museum-of-african-american-history Black People Politics 2
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: Are You African-American? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Liberty Black People : Gucci’s New Ads, Featuring All African-American Models, Under Fire for Treating ‘Black Soul as Drag’ Black People Open Forum 5
jamesfrmphilly Black People : woman-visits-her-slave-cabin-birthplace-at-the-african-american-museum Black People Open Forum 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Has Diversity Diluted The Relevency Of African American And Their Issues? Black People Politics 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Fox News Launches Racist Attack Against African-American Trump Critic Rep. Maxine Waters Black People Politics 28
Liberty Senegal : Being African American in Senegal Senegal 2
Liberty African American History Culture : A forgotten piece of African-American history on the Great Plains African American History Culture 4
Liberty Black Entertainment : Don’t Miss Pioneers of African-American Cinema on Netflix (and Other Viewing Suggestions) Black Entertainment 0
Liberty African American History Culture : Historic African-American Lincoln Cemetery faces a tangled present and uncertain future African American History Culture 0
Liberty African American History Culture : The Lesser-Known History of African-American Cowboys African American History Culture 2
chuck African American History Culture : What Does It Means To Labelled As African-American In 2017? African American History Culture 14
Liberty Black Entertainment : 'Bachelor' contestant Rachel Lindsay becomes first African-American 'Bachelorette' Black Entertainment 4
Liberty Black Education / Schools : Top 2017 African-American, Minority and Diversity Summer Internship Programs Black Education / Schools 0
Liberty Black Positive People : Meet The CEO Building A $75 Million Global Landmark For African American History Black People Doing Positive Things 0
IFE Black People : “Is This Generation of African-American Baby Boomers Getting Soft? Black People Open Forum 20