Black People : "Cotton Fields" - Directed by Cam Be.. Powerful.. like hip hop used to be.. and can be again.

It's a decent effort. But it reflects poor Philosophy and history. What record does this person depend on that would suggest that one European acting in concert with no one would lynch an African man? It's really an insult to our ancestors. Europeans act in concert--and have trouble then.

More, this evocation of pity to the athletes in the NBA needs to stop. Frankly, the NBA does better off than most all of us--and it's a game. To focus on that when so much greater troubles are upon our race reflects a terrible mis-education.

It's terrible when what's promoted as 'liberating' is the same mis-education of which we should be tired.

It's a decent effort. But it reflects poor Philosophy and history. What record does this person depend on that would suggest that one European acting in concert with no one would lynch an African man? It's really an insult to our ancestors. Europeans act in concert--and have trouble then.

More, this evocation of pity to the athletes in the NBA needs to stop. Frankly, the NBA does better off than most all of us--and it's a game. To focus on that when so much greater troubles are upon our race reflects a terrible mis-education.

It's terrible when what's promoted as 'liberating' is the same mis-education of which we should be tired.

to keep it brief.. I disagree with you completely. And I would ask you, "what record do you depend on that would suggest that one european man acting alone would not lynch an African man?".

that said... It is not the responsibility of the artist to depict things the way you see them.. that is your responsibility.. his is to say what he has to say, the way he wants to say it.. I personally understood what both the director and the performer were trying to get across.. and I think they made a powerful choice when they decided to show a single white man preparing a noose and hanging a young black man.. it has a tremendous impact.. and impact that I think would have been dissipated if it had been a mob scene. Art is about choices.. these are the choices that these artists made.

And.. what record do you depend on that suggests that NBA players are doing better than most of us? "Better" in what way? Economically? Are you suggesting that economic success is the criteria that we should use for how we are doing?

to keep it brief.. I disagree with you completely. And I would ask you, "what record do you depend on that would suggest that one european man acting alone would not lynch an African man?".

that said... It is not the responsibility of the artist to depict things the way you see them.. that is your responsibility.. his is to say what he has to say, the way he wants to say it.. I personally understood what both the director and the performer were trying to get across.. and I think they made a powerful choice when they decided to show a single white man preparing a noose and hanging a young black man.. it has a tremendous impact.. and impact that I think would have been dissipated if it had been a mob scene. Art is about choices.. these are the choices that these artists made.

And.. what record do you depend on that suggests that NBA players are doing better than most of us? "Better" in what way? Economically? Are you suggesting that economic success is the criteria that we should use for how we are doing?

I have read accounts of our lynchings: I don't believe that the one-man job exists. Do you know otherwise? I know of several mob attacks.

As to whether the European would act alone--he may want to--but it's not in his Philosophy to. A police officer can take a whole building by himself, but he storms in with back-up--because that's his Philosophy.

I can agree about art being about choices, but when these choices go against our philosophy and history, it sets us back. That's all that I am saying. You objected to Rick Ross' language in Ghana--why can't I object to this artist's message? It goes both ways.

Finally, NBA players are better off economically. Believe it or not, our ancestors recommended we find poverty wretched. Maybe [some of] the Bible says otherwise, but one needs to understand why.

One can see in Obara (of the Yoruba faith) that one should be wealthy. Further, Pta-Hotep recommends that we increase what we have. Finally a Somalian proverb reads "Poverty is slavery."

We need to get our Philosophy straight. Our ancestors admit that we should be rich. To pity the NBA stars then pretend that wealth is meaningless misleads us into accepting poverty--an idea imposed upon us by Europeans robbers.

I have read accounts of our lynchings: I don't believe that the one-man job exists. Do you know otherwise? I know of several mob attacks.

As to whether the European would act alone--he may want to--but it's not in his Philosophy to. A police officer can take a whole building by himself, but he storms in with back-up--because that's his Philosophy.

I can agree about art being about choices, but when these choices go against our philosophy and history, it sets us back. That's all that I am saying. You objected to Rick Ross' language in Ghana--why can't I object to this artist's message? It goes both ways.

Finally, NBA players are better off economically. Believe it or not, our ancestors recommended we find poverty wretched. Maybe [some of] the Bible says otherwise, but one needs to understand why.

One can see in Obara (of the Yoruba faith) that one should be wealthy. Further, Pta-Hotep recommends that we increase what we have. Finally a Somalian proverb reads "Poverty is slavery."

We need to get our Philosophy straight. Our ancestors admit that we should be rich. To pity the NBA stars then pretend that wealth is meaningless misleads us into accepting poverty--an idea imposed upon us by Europeans robbers.

Peace ABSiblings,

.. so, because you have not come into contact with information that suggests that individual white men lynched black men, that means that it can't be true? Do you actually believe that you know everything? Everything? because you read some accounts? Do you really believe that the history of lynching is even recorded in writing? and besides that.. to put all of that in context.. who says that art needs to be backed up with written historical documentation? come on now.. If you put the lynching scene back in the context of the performance piece, you will see that the context you yourself put around it is misapplied. His thesis is not about whether or not white men lynched black men alone or in concert.. and for you to apply that filter to his message is to take what he's saying out of context.. it's like pulling individual verses out of a story and judging them by some criteria foreign to the intent of the story.

Also.. when you say, "I can agree about art being about choices, but when these choices go against our philosophy and history, it sets us back" That's a noble idea.. but what "our philosophy" are you talking about? And when were you appointed guardian over it? And your suggestion that "our history" consists only of things that are written.. and also.. that you know about and/or believe... is elitist to say the least.. trust me, their are things that you don't know.. truths that have not been revealed to you.. and that will probably never ever be revealed to you.. not while you have this feeling that you already know everything.. and that anyone that presents a perspective contrary to your understanding is somehow automatically misinformed or guilty of some cultural crime against "us".. as
defined by you. But at some point you will have to recognize that other folks don't speak from your perspective.. only from their own..

So, clearly these are not the choices that you would have made.. but that hardly makes these artists guilty of "setting us back"..

and listen if you want bring my Rick Ross comments into this thread, please bring the whole context that those comments where made within also.. context being everything and all...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back