Computers - Software Hardware : Cory Doctorow - Computers as potentially your greatest ally and your worst traitor

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gorilla, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    This is the keynote Cory Doctorow did at a Make event early last month. It's another talk about the nature of making/tinkering culture, but it really goes into detail about the coming conflict between the restrictive goals of corporate and governing bodies. ​

2. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    That's what their new masters always have them tell the old masters.

3. ComUnity Uplifter

ComUnity Uplifter Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +38
    So in regards to what was said in the video, is it that we just need to figure out everything that our devices are hiding from us and learn how to stop it, or do we just need to learn how to configure our own devices with what we want, (sort of how you can customize your linux distro?). Just wondering if I was getting the right message from the video

4. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
    This was powerful. I haven't gotten the chance to read this guy's books (he's a Sci Fi novelist), but after this I might have to pick one up.

5. ComUnity Uplifter

ComUnity Uplifter Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +38
    I didn't even realize that he was the same guy. I read his book "Little Brother" I really liked it

6. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    It was a joke, but did you watch the talk or skim a transcript?

7. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    To me it was a call to support organizations that fight bad tech policy, consumer rights threats, intellectual property problems, or privacy threats. It also included a message of trying to open up as much computing as possible. It also seemed like a reminder that the maker/hacker spirit could be directed at addressing a lot of these issues.

You already seemed familiar with one of his books, and you may like his other talks and writing that expand on this pretty short keynote.

8. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    These are the scenarios that seem to be the worst cases to confront. I agree completely that nobody probably knows everything that goes on from the entire software stack down to the electrons. So many things that are supposedly open source rely on black boxes and binary blobs like the baseband in smartphones. There's not much out there in terms of open hardware for complete devices either.

I just assume if I am against an adversary with the resources of a nation state, or something that approaches it, I have lost already. All the tools that are supposed to be able to mitigate such threats won't seem to matter much when operational and endpoint security remain so vulnerable/accessible.

[​IMG]

9. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399

You might already know this resource, but groklaw does a pretty good job of covering things like this.