Black People Politics : Cornel West Upset With President Obama

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, Aug 5, 2010.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    By Boyce Watkins, PhD on Aug 5th 2010 12:14PM

Dr. Cornel West apparently has a bone to pick with President Barack Obama. Over time, the good Dr. West has become increasingly vocal in his critique of Obama, and even went as far as to say that Obama treated him "like a cub scout" when he allegedly refused to address West's concerns about the administration's behavior:

"Well, I'll tell you, I had not talked to my dear brother since the Martin Luther King gathering in South Carolina, and very briefly Super Tuesday. But he did come and make a beeline to me after his speech on I think it was Thursday morning in Washington, D.C. I hadn't seen him for two and a half weeks, and he made a beeline to me, though, brother, and he was deeply upset. He talked to me like I was a cub scout, and he was a pack master. You know what I mean?

I said, well, my mother and father raised me right. I respect my dear brother, but I don't like to be demeaned and humiliated in that way, and I didn't get a chance to respond to him. And I hope maybe at some time we can. But it was very, it was a very ugly kind of moment, it seems to me, and that disturbs me because then it raises the question for me: Does he have a double standard for black critics as opposed to white critics?"

http://www.bvblackspin.com/2010/08/05/cornel-west-seems-angry-with-president-obama/

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I find it extremely ironic that the name of this site is "Black Spin" because the author of this article , Mr. Watkins, has certainly put his own "spin" on what he thinks about the relationship between Dr. Cornel West and Pres. Obama.

My People, don't accept any 2nd-hand information "whole cloth" just because you saw/heard/or read it somewhere, no matter who said it. This entire article is Mr. Watkins' "interpretation" of what he thinks are the reasons for any "rift" between Dr. West and Pres. Obama.

Mr. Watkins cherry-picked one part of Dr. West's statement and constructed this entire article around it.

Now, yes, it is evident that Dr. West is not "happy" with Pres. Obama; but Mr. Watkins, so conveniently, left out what else Dr. West said about Pres. Obama:

Here is more of what Mr. Watkins had to say:

Well now, as for Pres. Obama and his alleged bias toward 'Harvard Grads,' Mr. Watkins fails to mention that Dr. West is also a Harvard Grad (class of '73). So, this charge of alleged "collegiate nepotism" is faulty.

Mr. Watkins also fails to mention the rather healthy salary of Dr. West for his professorship at Princeton University (another Ivy League institution and where Dr. West received his PhD); the healthy proceeds from the many published books of Dr. West; and the healthy compensations for speaking engagements of Dr. West. So, adding up all those dollars, I feel confident in saying that Dr. West is also in the "millionaire" range, himself.

Now, no, I don't personally know where Dr. West lives; but when it comes to "elite" real estate, IF Dr. West does not also "vacation" on or actually own a home on Martha's Vineyard or Cape Cod or The Hamptons, then he, at least, is a welcomed guest in any of those locations because of his synonymous socio-economic class.

Moreover, I can't imagine that the "Black folks who went to Harvard or who have millions in the bank' were the people who needed the Health Care Reform Bill. :cool:

So, please, My People, don't just believe the words of Mr. Watkins. LISTEN to the interview YOURSELF to hear what Dr. West said of Pres. Obama:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128933353

And, again, I find it so ironically appropriate that Mr. Watkins writes for a publication called "Black SPIN."

Indeed, with THIS as an example of his writing, one could certainly get dizzy.

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    So I don't want my critiques to be in any way confused with the right-wing critiques

Folks will do that to a brother for simply posting facts about the president.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Have you posted a critique in this thread?

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Cornel West's opinion of President Obama remains inconsistent so whatever spin these journatlists make are nothing more than hype depending on how they can affect ratings, readership or listenership.

West will make statements seemingly supportive of Obama in cone context then get in another context (Such as with Tavis and Co.) and take a totally opposite stance.

The major difference between the two is that at least Obama had some direct community organizing experience before his political career while West remains with one foot in the ivory towers and the other somewhere in the entertainment establishment either in film, journalism, or hip hop (when he's not promoting his latest book).

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    bro give it a break and the entire Destee family knows how I was hounded and called consevative, reublican, and other derogatory crap for 2 months for posting facts about Obama,

check the archives

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    My previous statement was sarcasm. The thread was barely started and you quicly make the issue about yourself which takes away from the topic.

So you give it a break. Everything is not about you and the energy you put in to stay on top of the leaderboard.

You say you have been hounded and called names but its all in your approach and how you come off but you seem too blind to see that in constantly exhorting others and attempting to ram your own opinions down folks throats and never hearing any voice other than your own.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    you asked me a question and I responded,

and with the list of Ru Paul type personal assualts you have made on my posts in the past 5 months,

it starts to get pathetic

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Reading the article on (of all places Black voices) it confirmed my earlier thinking with the following.

"Cornel West, being a great friend of Tavis, has been positioned within a camp of individuals who might be disappointed with Barack Obama no matter what he does. I don't believe West dislikes Obama as much as Smiley does. West's criticism lies far more with divisions in ideology than with personal differences."

I am not yet convinced that ideological differences outweigh the personal.

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Whatever Dr. West's motives may be (sincere or ulterior), I just didn't want folks to take this article as "gospel."

Oh, for sure. It's propaganda, thru-and-thru.

I'm sure there's a lot of "water under the bridge" that we don't know (and will never know) about amongst Obama, West, and Tavis.

However, I didn't want folks to get it twisted. This article painted Cornel West as some "champion for po' people" in a different "CLASS" from those "Harvard Grads" and Black people who "vacation on Martha's Vineyard" and who "hob-nob" with Pres. Obama.

Now, I don't have a problem with Dr. West; and if he "walks the talk," then okay.

But, again, don't get it twisted...Cornel aint no broke brotha. He gets PAID.

Surely, if he travels on business for the University, then Princeton picks up the tab.

And, TRUST, if Cornel wanted to "vacation on Martha's Vineyard" or anywhere else in the world, he can and ON HIS OWN DIME.