Black People : Cornel West Speaks Out for Chicken

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by AHMOSE, Jul 19, 2005.

1. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Renowned author, activist, and social thinker Dr. Cornel West, whose many influential works include the groundbreaking 1993 book Race Matters, has sent a letter to KFC parent company Yum! Brands CEO David Novak, asking that KFC adopt the basic animal-welfare improvements recommended by PETA and eliminate such practices as scalding chickens to death in defeathering tanks and breeding and drugging birds so that their leg bones break under their own weight.

Dr. West writes in his letter, “As a person who is concerned about all injustices, I am asking you to direct KFC’s suppliers to stop breeding and drugging animals so that they collapse under their own weight or die from heart failure and to phase in humane gas killing, a method of slaughter that protects birds from broken bones and wings, electric shocks, and even drowning in scalding-hot tanks of water.”

Now teaching at Princeton University, Dr. West is no stranger to social struggle. He left the faculty of Harvard University in protest after Harvard President Larry Summers publicly criticized his writing about social and racial issues, he was involved with the Million-Man March in Washington, and he is an active voice in hip-hop political-action summits and national conferences to end street violence.

Read more http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/west.asp

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Go Dr. West!

CD

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

I truly appreciate this good brother Cornel West as he is a just thinker.........

I applaud everything he does for he takes all things into condideration b4 he speaks........this letter tells me that he has the health of US/black people on his mind & knows that some of us still frequent KFC, not knowing why it is no longer called Kentucky Fried Chicken.........

None of us should eat at KFC anyway, if we stop giving them our money they will stop feeding us death.........

A-salaamu-A-Laikum

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I don't now where he's going by taking on KFC and joing forces with PETA....

But brutha West is what I call a real "intellectual".

A black genius if I ever saw one.

Even down to his wacky afro and sloppy dress, the brutha is pure genius.

I rank him right up there with the degreed intellectuals like WEB Dubois.

It's good to see a black man with that much education who's still so well grounded with common people and can relate to all of us.

That's who we need.

Enough of the Walter Fauntroy III's of the intellectual community, we need more men like this who make education interesting.

5. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    With all the problems that black people face why are people worried about the plight of chickens? It seems some of us dont have our priorities straight

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree completely, this rates at the bottom of our priorities!

7. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Fighting for animal rights is stupid when there are so many humans suffering. This is not to say that I advocate animal abuse, but I agree with Pan and the other viewpoints here... we need to set our priorities straight. When all of our problems are taken care of, then we can worry about the animals.

8. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Though I see the points being made, still a thinking Black man doesn’t have to be monolithic in his thoughts and advocacy, or pigeon-holed around the usual approach to social issues …one of the problems with our leadership is that they are not dealing with the actual causes of many of our issues and like to pimp the “band-aid side” of our wounds with placebos and sedatives, not cures and solutions. Our leaders are not dealing with the root of our issues pertaining to food, health, energy and housing…issues that directly affect the Black community.

A “people perish because of their lack of knowledge”…Black folks are some of the most uninformed people there is.

We should know what we are eating…the hormones and antibiotics that are put in these unhealthy chickens. The genetic manipulation or the uncleanliness of these birds as they go to market and prepared for human consumption. This directly affects our health which is directly associated with our overall well-being. Some in our community feel that our young women are over-developing at earlier ages because of the abusive steroid use of the chicken industry…let alone obesity and other illnesses that come from eating deep fried commercial chicken in Hydrogenated and once again probably genetically modified oils.

We eat this cheap main meal by the bucket fulls!

When food is produced and prepared to get you full at the cheapest price than you better watch out! Kentucky Fried Chicken ain’t Big Mama’s house on Sunday after church…which brings up the old story of how many believed The Colonel stole his “original famous recipe” from a Black woman… the man looks like a Southern plantation owner for god sakes!

…So I applaud Brother Cornell West for bringing the Chicken industry to Black folks attention, regardless of his approach or purpose.

This is a billion dollar business that is slowly killing our people.

9. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hotep,

Excellent points Brother Sun Ship. My purpose for creating this thread was to bring to the for front the issue of impurities in our food. The amounts of toxins that are now consumed by cows also make milk unsafe for human consumption. Milk was designed for baby cows. Humans produce their own milk, which is designed for babies. Once you are no longer a baby you must get your protein from another source. There is so much herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and the like being pumped into plants I don’t know if anything is safe to eat that you haven’t grown yourself. Its time that we take heed to how we are being poised by these fast food companies! How you ever stopped to think what makes people crave a burger from McDonald’s? Short answer some chemical that is enhancing your dependency or need for it. These are the same principles that can be attributed to crack.

Ase’

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    For those here that in the 70's sat in front of the TV early Saturday mornings what a bowl of cereal watching cartoons, on ABC between show there was a educational segment called School House Rock. One of the segments features a little character called Time-for-Timer. In of his little songs he used the lyric "You are what you swallow". I believe this is one of the goals of animal advocasy. If we helping animals we are helping ourselves, especially animals we eat. We are eating billions of pounds of steroid filled, stressed and diseased animals. What affect do you think that has on us? There is no doubt that the animal will die or that they are being breed for consumption. The question is what condition is that animal in before it is killed and processed. If you eat meat wouldn't you want to eat natural, organic and healthy animals?The treatment of breed for consumption animals should be high on own list of concerns if we eat meat. Some of us may not encounter racism everyday but we do eat everyday.

Peace........

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cornel west animal welfare