Black People Politics : Cornel West on Obama

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by wetac0s, Nov 15, 2011.

1. wetac0s

wetac0s Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +272
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornel_West

2. wetac0s

wetac0s Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +272
    FYI, Cornel West is a professor at Princeton University. He was formerly teaching at Harvard but was fired due to a dispute with the president of Harvard.

3. eword

eword Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    It is interesting, that smart people like professor West have just woken up, to what many have known for a long time. What did he expect?
    America is not a republic, it is an empire, just like the Roman or British empires in the past. Empires have never been and will never be about the common good. All empires are about controlling other people, their land and resources, and exploiting them. Empires are built and sustained by keeping other people down and without. The American Empire is not about freedom, because the American Empire doesn't allow anyone to be free of the American Empire. Under the cover of freedom, the empire frees other people of their right to determine their own political and economic destiny. The goal is to control every vital resource and real estate, and by extension control everything and everyone.
    Obama is doing exactly, what those who really hired him expect of him. Even though, Obama was elected by the people, it was the super rich and the big corporations, who selected him, funded him and publicized him. The super rich and big corporations, did not put their money on Obama for nothing.
    Until the system changes, collapses or some third party gains significant support, we will have same old, same old.

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    All the more imperative for Black Nationalism, and to start living as a nation within an nation and make at least 85% of our trillion dollar spending power go back into the community, to feed cloth, house, and employ ourselves, and create our own utilities gas electric and cable and phone services.

and then start making major investments in the Motherland!

5. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Actually it was Obama's economic vampire; Larry Summers, that had rigged crap to get the brother fired.

6. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    While I agree with Wests assesment of Obama...here the pot is calling the kettle black (see my avatar lol) For all his time spent in the Ivory towers of Princeton and Harvard and pushing his books, what has he ever done for the people, besides talk? Ask him why he has never taught at an HBCU and more over why he is married to a white woman? I would love to hear his response. I think he has great potential but where is it directed? What is he really motivated by?

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Uhm the man is an intellectual and as intellectuals in past Black history, that is what intellectuals do;
    C L R James,
    Leon Hansberry,
    James Baldwin,
    Maulana Ron Kaenga,
    H Rap Brown,
    Angela Davis ,
    Chinue' Achebe,
    Franz Fanon;(other then doing psychiatry),
    Dr John Henrik Clarke,
    Dr Francis Cress Welsing,
    Dr Neely Fuller,
    Dr Marimba Ani,
    Sonia Sanchez,
    Harry Belafonte
    Dr Naiim Akbar

all of these folks had/have personal lives we may not agree with or follow ourselves but the intellectual analysis they present, in reference to the hell Black folks were/are catching at the time ;
    that promotes folks to actual community,
    political and economic action cannot be discounted.

8. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    I am shocked at West too. Obama is a politician, it's obvious now that some people thought he was a civil right's activist/human rights activist. Surprise!:rolleyes:

:eek: I thought his wife was Ethiopian?
    I am not mad at him for teaching at Harvard/Princeton. They need to hear about white supremacy and their white privileges, blk people already know that.

9. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    well.. whats new? Many people have a problem with the President. The only reason this story is being played up is because they are both black.. and the Divide and conquer machine never misses an opportunity to sensationalize any disagreement between black folks.. WEB Dubois versus Booker T. Washington.. Spike Lee versus Tyler Perry... Obama versus Cornel West.. Biggie versus Tupac.. Ali verus Frazier.. Junebug versus Pookie.. where are the white equivalents of these conflicts? And why are they never played-up to the same degree..? please please.. recognize game where game is being played.. Cornel's views on Obama are not out of sync with the philosophies present in his books.. He is an excellent framer of issues.. Race Matters had a tremendous impact on the way I see and articulate these things that confront us.. And I would argue that Cornel has done more for us through his writing than Obama has done through his Presidency.. but I wouldn't want that unneccesary comparison to take away from the fact that both of these African men have done what they could do for black people.. neither has the power to undo what has been done to us through white racism and all its brutality, murder and oppression.. but both of them have operated within the channel they believed could do some good.. and while neither of them have my blind faith or agreement.. they both have my respect..

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    :toast::toast::toast: