Black People : Coonery & Buffoonery: A Soul Plane Review

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, May 28, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    As I'm sure many of us know Soul Plane comes out in theatres today. There has been a lot of controvery about the negative stereotypes portrayed in the film. Spike Lee called the movie coonery & Buffoonery. Karen Hunter of the NY Daily News devoted an editorial to it (another demeaning comedy):

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/story/197520p-170570c.html

It is high time we started boycotting this crap!!
    :flamet:

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Very good article and I totally agree. I will not be seeing "Soul Plane" or anyother movie like it ever again. I haven't watched these types of movies for a little while now once i really thought about the damage that it does to us. It's sad to see so many black people on screen together making the white man laugh at our expense. We think it's "just harmless fun" but we don't realize that with these movies people aren't laughing with us...they are laughing at us and our ignorance. We really should boycott these movies. I get tired of only seeing black people cracking ignorant jokes and singing and dancing all the time. We can do better than that.

3. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Is it just safe to say that this movie is "too black" for many peoples liking?

4. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Enhh :eek:/

I'm gunna go see it and judge for myself.

5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    To me the movie doesn't seem to be "too black". It's "too stereotypical" of what we as black people are portrayed as being. Meaning that all the stereotypes that we complain about, are glorified in this movie for the sake of laughter.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I couldn't have said that any better myself Kente....I also boycott these types of movies. Do you believe that Snoop responded to Spike Lee's criticism by saying that "Do the Right Thing" and "School Daze" also had stereotypes? Man, if there was ever proof that weed kills brain cells.......that comment was the finally proof!!

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    AfroBoricuaRoni, naturally you're free to do what you please but realize that once the production company and movie theatre get your money they could care less what you think about the movie. Sometimes when you hear enough about something not being good for you, you have to know when to leave it alone. Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to judge you nor tell you what to do. I simply wanted to make a nonjudgmental comment to your statement. :look:

Lucky...greetings and welcome!! :wave: It's great to have you join us and we hope you enjoy your stay. Feel free to move around the community and make yourself at home. We have a lot of good features to offer and we hope you take advantage of each one. If you have questions about any aspect of the community, please don't hesitate to ask.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    That's true about them only wanting you money...not your opinion. I mean, sure this movie might have some funny instances, but the overall message is that black people (if given the chance to own an airline) would run it like this. Not the correct way. There would be ignorant pilots, flight attendance and the plane would have rims and hydraulics on it. That's just stupid. I love black movies, but this is the reason why I go to Hollywood video and end up renting movie that probably have a small number of black people in it. Not by choice, but the fact is there isn't much of an option. Every other race has quality movies, with positive messages, but there aren't that many for us. And what do we do, "I got the Hook up", "Baby Boy", "My Baby Daddy" and tons of other straight to video movies starring rappers and black actors posed like gang members. Thank god for Denzel Washington, Forest Whitiker, Sam Jackson, Danny Glover and Will Smith. At least the venture out and do something different.

9. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    kente

I agree brother,

I don't go see movies like this one. If I'm going to invest my money in a film, it's going to be invested in one that don't make us look like clowns. We are much better than that. That's why I don't support these type of films @ all.