Health and Wellness : Cooking to maintain good health

dunwiddat

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 17, 2012
Many blacks including African Amercans continue to suffer from Non Commincable Disease (NCD) High blood pressure and heart disease continue to plague many of us.

I believe we need to take charge of our health. The cost of health is increasing day by day.
Slavery has impacted on the way we eat. During slavery black people had to endure the indignity of eating the offal and skin of the pig. As result many suffer as a result.

Today the pharmaceutcal companies, the insurance companies and the doctors seem to be involved so that people continue to believe that health comes in a bottle.

The foods we eat determine how healthy we are.

As a black woman I do not eat fast food. I try to eat food that is cooked and also consume lots of vegetables. I believe drinking water to eliminate the poisons that are trapped in our body.

Being healthy is not determined by pills and medication. We as a people must get back to the things the older generation taught us. We must be willing to simplify the way we eat. Remove the fat that has been a part of the diet of many black people.

I will post some pictures of food that are good for our health and recipes that are enjoyable. Do hope others can send recipes and learn from each other.

This is a good informative post, thanks. A very long time ago in a far off place my guardian made sure I ate right and right I did eat. Not happy but right. All the things a boy hated.

Short list:

1. String beans
2. Carrots
3. Asparagus
4. Spinach
5. Okra
6. Celery
7. Corn

Preventive medicine

1. Caster oil
2. Cod liver oil

These two items alone made me contemplate running away and returning home GOD forbid anybody could convince me that I would stay healthy swilling that crap down.

NCD Hypertension is also prevalent among shift work personnel of all races especially on mids. NYC PBA's and unions fought management for full heart related therapy and treatment coverage up to 3/4 disability retirement to no avail. The only Civil Service employees covered for heart related ailments are FDNY through the Heart Bill and they got screwed royally from ailments related to the 9-1-1 WTC disaster. The post 9-1-1 EPA air quality control meter tampering scandal didn't help either.

Unfortunately "Or not" since I am in very good health I am one of the few "Or many" adults who vowed against our better judgement to make up for the years of misery eating good but tasteless food.

The not so short list:

1. Pork chops
2. Bacon
3. Ham
4. Lasagna
5. Rice and beans
6. Spam and beans
7. Nathans hot dogs and beans
8. Frescavena
9. Bubble gum
10. Candy corn
11. Breyers chocolate ice cream
12. Reserved
13. Since I can't cook, in between eating out I hit Checkers for the Baconzilla since it has a high sugar content, McDonalds for the fake McRib when it's in season and Subway for the Meatball sub. Being human means not always making the best choices in affairs of the heart and health. Time will tell. Again, thanks for posting.

Thanks for your comments. If you are from the Caribbean I sure can send you some recipes which are simple but healthy. I have four brothers and I my mother taught all of them to cook and I in turn taught my three sons to cook too. I believe since most black folks have found themselves in higher ecomomic bracket many have found themselves purchasing lots of fast food. Here in Barbados the unhealthy eating habits have gained a foothold and this has contributed tp serious health problems with the Non Communicable diseases being a major concern for health officials.

This is a good informative post, thanks. A very long time ago in a far off place my guardian made sure I ate right and right I did eat. Not happy but right. All the things a boy hated.

Short list:

1. String beans
2. Carrots
3. Asparagus
4. Spinach
5. Okra
6. Celery
7. Corn

Preventive medicine

1. Caster oil
2. Cod liver oil

These two items alone made me contemplate running away and returning home GOD forbid anybody could convince me that I would stay healthy swilling that crap down.

NCD Hypertension is also prevalent among shift work personnel of all races especially on mids. NYC PBA's and unions fought management for full heart related therapy and treatment coverage up to 3/4 disability retirement to no avail. The only Civil Service employees covered for heart related ailments are FDNY through the Heart Bill and they got screwed royally from ailments related to the 9-1-1 WTC disaster. The post 9-1-1 EPA air quality control meter tampering scandal didn't help either.

Unfortunately "Or not" since I am in very good health I am one of the few "Or many" adults who vowed against our better judgement to make up for the years of misery eating good but tasteless food.

The not so short list:

1. Pork chops
2. Bacon
3. Ham
4. Lasagna
5. Rice and beans
6. Spam and beans
7. Nathans hot dogs and beans
8. Frescavena
9. Bubble gum
10. Candy corn
11. Breyers chocolate ice cream
12. Reserved
13. Since I can't cook, in between eating out I hit Checkers for the Baconzilla since it has a high sugar content, McDonalds for the fake McRib when it's in season and Subway for the Meatball sub. Being human means not always making the best choices in affairs of the heart and health. Time will tell. Again, thanks for posting.

Thanks for your comments. If you are from the Caribbean I sure can send you some recipes which are simple but healthy. I have four brothers and I my mother taught all of them to cook and I in turn taught my three sons to cook too. I believe since most black folks have found themselves in higher ecomomic bracket many have found themselves purchasing lots of fast food. Here in Barbados the unhealthy eating habits have gained a foothold and this has contributed to serious health problems with the Non Communicable diseases being a major concern for health officials.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back