Health and Wellness : Cooking to maintain good health

dunwiddat

Sep 17, 2012
Many blacks including African Amercans continue to suffer from Non Commincable Disease (NCD) High blood pressure and heart disease continue to plague many of us.

I believe we need to take charge of our health. The cost of health is increasing day by day.
Slavery has impacted on the way we eat. During slavery black people had to endure the indignity of eating the offal and skin of the pig. As result many suffer as a result.

Today the pharmaceutcal companies, the insurance companies and the doctors seem to be involved so that people continue to believe that health comes in a bottle.

The foods we eat determine how healthy we are.

As a black woman I do not eat fast food. I try to eat food that is cooked and also consume lots of vegetables. I believe drinking water to eliminate the poisons that are trapped in our body.

Being healthy is not determined by pills and medication. We as a people must get back to the things the older generation taught us. We must be willing to simplify the way we eat. Remove the fat that has been a part of the diet of many black people.

I will post some pictures of food that are good for our health and recipes that are enjoyable. Do hope others can send recipes and learn from each other.

dunwiddat

Sep 17, 2012
This is a good informative post, thanks. A very long time ago in a far off place my guardian made sure I ate right and right I did eat. Not happy but right. All the things a boy hated.

Short list:

1. String beans
2. Carrots
3. Asparagus
4. Spinach
5. Okra
6. Celery
7. Corn

Preventive medicine

1. Caster oil
2. Cod liver oil

These two items alone made me contemplate running away and returning home GOD forbid anybody could convince me that I would stay healthy swilling that crap down.

NCD Hypertension is also prevalent among shift work personnel of all races especially on mids. NYC PBA's and unions fought management for full heart related therapy and treatment coverage up to 3/4 disability retirement to no avail. The only Civil Service employees covered for heart related ailments are FDNY through the Heart Bill and they got screwed royally from ailments related to the 9-1-1 WTC disaster. The post 9-1-1 EPA air quality control meter tampering scandal didn't help either.

Unfortunately "Or not" since I am in very good health I am one of the few "Or many" adults who vowed against our better judgement to make up for the years of misery eating good but tasteless food.

The not so short list:

1. Pork chops
2. Bacon
3. Ham
4. Lasagna
5. Rice and beans
6. Spam and beans
7. Nathans hot dogs and beans
8. Frescavena
9. Bubble gum
10. Candy corn
11. Breyers chocolate ice cream
12. Reserved
13. Since I can't cook, in between eating out I hit Checkers for the Baconzilla since it has a high sugar content, McDonalds for the fake McRib when it's in season and Subway for the Meatball sub. Being human means not always making the best choices in affairs of the heart and health. Time will tell. Again, thanks for posting.

Thanks for your comments. If you are from the Caribbean I sure can send you some recipes which are simple but healthy. I have four brothers and I my mother taught all of them to cook and I in turn taught my three sons to cook too. I believe since most black folks have found themselves in higher ecomomic bracket many have found themselves purchasing lots of fast food. Here in Barbados the unhealthy eating habits have gained a foothold and this has contributed tp serious health problems with the Non Communicable diseases being a major concern for health officials.

dunwiddat

Sep 17, 2012
This is a good informative post, thanks. A very long time ago in a far off place my guardian made sure I ate right and right I did eat. Not happy but right. All the things a boy hated.

Short list:

1. String beans
2. Carrots
3. Asparagus
4. Spinach
5. Okra
6. Celery
7. Corn

Preventive medicine

1. Caster oil
2. Cod liver oil

These two items alone made me contemplate running away and returning home GOD forbid anybody could convince me that I would stay healthy swilling that crap down.

NCD Hypertension is also prevalent among shift work personnel of all races especially on mids. NYC PBA's and unions fought management for full heart related therapy and treatment coverage up to 3/4 disability retirement to no avail. The only Civil Service employees covered for heart related ailments are FDNY through the Heart Bill and they got screwed royally from ailments related to the 9-1-1 WTC disaster. The post 9-1-1 EPA air quality control meter tampering scandal didn't help either.

Unfortunately "Or not" since I am in very good health I am one of the few "Or many" adults who vowed against our better judgement to make up for the years of misery eating good but tasteless food.

The not so short list:

1. Pork chops
2. Bacon
3. Ham
4. Lasagna
5. Rice and beans
6. Spam and beans
7. Nathans hot dogs and beans
8. Frescavena
9. Bubble gum
10. Candy corn
11. Breyers chocolate ice cream
12. Reserved
13. Since I can't cook, in between eating out I hit Checkers for the Baconzilla since it has a high sugar content, McDonalds for the fake McRib when it's in season and Subway for the Meatball sub. Being human means not always making the best choices in affairs of the heart and health. Time will tell. Again, thanks for posting.

Thanks for your comments. If you are from the Caribbean I sure can send you some recipes which are simple but healthy. I have four brothers and I my mother taught all of them to cook and I in turn taught my three sons to cook too. I believe since most black folks have found themselves in higher ecomomic bracket many have found themselves purchasing lots of fast food. Here in Barbados the unhealthy eating habits have gained a foothold and this has contributed to serious health problems with the Non Communicable diseases being a major concern for health officials.

dunwiddat

Sep 17, 2012
I have extended family in Philipsburg, Marigot, Saba, Anquilla and Aruba. Of all the islands I love St. Maarten the best, well except for the traffic. Saba scares me. That crazy road round and round to the top.

Enjoy the weekend.

You too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SwagII Food Discussion : We Cooking Creole Dishes, Share Your Recipe With Me. Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Al D Africa : Smart Gas Cooking Seeks to Break African Cities' Dirty Charcoal Habit All Things Africa 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : This Clever Cooking Trick Will Seriously Upgrade Your Roasted Vegetables Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : How we are all cooking rice incorrectly endangering our health - White Striping on Chicken Breast Black Health and Wellness 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Blanched onions: Chipotle tweaks cooking after E. coli scare Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : The Only 3 Cooking Oils You Need Food Discussion and Recipes 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 5 Cooking Mistakes that Pack on Pounds Black Health and Wellness 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Meat Recipe : Intuitive Cooking for Savory and Wholesum Times Food Discussion and Recipes 0
Kemetstry Black People : WHAT ARE YOU COOKING ON LABOR DAY? Black People Open Forum 23
legit-writer Black People : Fox News Hires Paula Deen for New Cooking Show Black People Open Forum 8
noor100 Health and Wellness : Urgent:Throw These Cooking Oils in the Trash Black Health and Wellness 4
D Black Jokes Humor : Cooking brownies with kids Black Jokes Humor 2
C Black Spirituality Religion : The voodoo theory of women cooking spaghetti for men Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 63
M Black Poetry : Cooking Something Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
P Health & Ital Cooking Black Health and Wellness 1
B Black Poetry : Cooking Miss Marva Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
A Black Spirituality Religion : Does the old testament contain good advice on how to maintain a marriage/relationship? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Queenie Health and Wellness : African men, how do you maintain? Black Health and Wellness 38
MsInterpret Black Parenting : London Couple Creates Black Dolls For Their Daughters To Maintain African Heritage Black Parenting 1
N Black Poetry : MAINTAIN & PROCEED-dedication to a junkie Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
HODEE Health and Wellness : THE BIDEN PLAN TO COMBAT CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) AND PREPARE FOR FUTURE GLOBAL HEALTH Black Health and Wellness 0
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : black mental health Black Health and Wellness 119
Clyde C Coger Jr Phones and Apps : A 2-Year Study of More Than 5,000 People Shows This 1 Activity Destroys Your Emotional and Physical Health Science and Technology 0
SkinTone Black Men : 2020 Mary Jane Health & Wellness festival in Peoria Illinois. Black Men 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Police Shootings of Unarmed Black Americans May Affect Health of Black Infants Black Health and Wellness 0
1 Health and Wellness : Sexual health academic survey (men who have sex with men (18+) Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Dark chocolate is now a health food. Here’s how that happened Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Aging African-Americans are hit with a double-whammy: health and financial troubles African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Millions of Americans Flood Into Mexico for Health Care — the Human Caravan You Haven’t Heard About Black Health and Wellness 0
B Black Education / Schools : Mental Health and Well-Being by Design: Leveraging and Scaling High Impact Solutions to Support Comm Black Education / Schools 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ╟ѕтυdιeѕ in early black enslavement╢Black Health on the Plantation: Owners, Enslaved & Physicians Black People Politics 0
Perfection Black Men : In Context Series: The Health of African American Men Black Men 0
Perfection Health and Wellness : In Context Series: Improving the Mental Health of Black Americans--Mental Health Movement Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : How diet can affect mental health: The likely link between food and the brain Black Health and Wellness 0
Kemetstry Health and Wellness : FEMALE HEALTH PROBLEMS A RESULT OF LACK OF SEX Black Health and Wellness 13
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Oil and gas group says African American ‘genetics’ are to blame for health problems, not pollution Black Health and Wellness 0
chuck Africa : What are your thoughts about the ongoing health crisis in South Sudan? All Things Africa 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : Coconut oil's health benefits are a myth — here's what you should buy instead Food Discussion and Recipes 1
nilevalley Black People : If you were a psychologist could you bravely warn the world about Trump's poor mental health Black People Open Forum 1
Chidike Black People Politics : Ahhh Yes.....Attack The Poor,Health Care,Food,Housing And Create Pseudo Attacks To Start A War Black People Politics 10
jamesfrmphilly Health and Wellness : urine color shows health... Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : 5 Ways Not Getting Enough Sleep Hurts Your Health and Appearance Black Health and Wellness 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Hospitals warn that repealing ObamaCare could spark 'unprecedented public health crisis' Black Health and Wellness 223
Liberty Health and Wellness : Could African-American beauty products pose health risks? Black Health and Wellness 11
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Is the Mental Health System Yet Another Form of Institutional Racism? Black Health and Wellness 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : trump-threat-to womens-health Black People Politics 0
chuck Health and Wellness : What Are Your Viewpoints About Our Peoples Current Day Health And Wellness Truly Being Based On? Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : New study links protein in wheat to the inflammation of chronic health conditions Food Discussion and Recipes 3
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : rapper-dmc-opens-up-about-his-mental-health-struggles Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Chidike Black People : Now That The Addicts Have Changed to White, the "War on Drugs"is Now Called A Health Crisis Black People Open Forum 2