CONSPIRACIES OF SILENCE:BLACK TULSA BOMBING....

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Isaiah, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Conspiracies of Silence
    The Political, Economic and Sociological Correlates of the Tulsa
    Drama Triangle and Massacre of 1921
    by James R. Allen, M.D.

On the morning of May 30, 1921, Sara Page, a white elevator operator in Tulsa, Oklahoma, screamed, and a black man, **** Rowland, ran out of the downtown store where she worked. He was soon arrested and taken to the Tulsa County Jail. The next day, the editors of the local white newspaper, The Tribune, published an editorial and front-page article about the event entitled, "To Lynch Negro Tonight."

To protect Rowland, a group of black men marched to the courthouse. Outgunned when a white mob showed up, they retreated into Greenwood, a black area outside the white city. The Tulsa police then deputized a number of men from the lynch mob, reportedly including members of the Ku Klux Klan. These men went out, killed, and set fire to the very homes and businesses they had been deputized to defend.

By June 1 when the Oklahoma National Guard arrived, about 1200 buildings, including 23 churches, had been burned, bombed, or looted, and as many as 300 people had been shot, burned alive, or dragged behind cars.(2) And so, a great drama triangle of persecutors, rescuers, and victims was played out in Tulsa. Some of those who posed as rescuers, however, were really wolves in sheep's clothing.

Karpman (4) made a significant contribution to understanding human problems, when he described the reciprocal roles of victims, persecutors, and rescuers. Switches in these roles and their related existential positions make for great drama, high emotion, surges of stress hormones-and much unhappiness. However, with the notable exceptions of Jacobs'(5) work on the Holocaust and the abuses of power, the correlates of the resulting drama triangle have not been well elucidated. It is our hope that this history of a few days at the end of May 1921, will add to this literature.

Built on oil fortunes and the Atlantic-Pacific Railroad, Tulsa had grown rapidly between 1910 and 1920. The Greenwood area grew up because blacks were forbidden by law to live or own businesses in the white city and were expected to be out of town by sunset. However, by 1921,the Greenwood area had grown to include 191 businesses and about 15,000 people, including lawyers, doctors and dentists, a movie theatre, hotel and newspaper.

Perhaps 10,000 whites crossed the railway tracks that separated Greenwood from the white city. Most of the 35 square blocks of Greenwood were destroyed, including the wealthy business district known nationally as "the Black Wall Street," and about 6,000 men, women, and children were marched at gunpoint to internment. (3) Survivors reported white families standing with their children around the borders of the area, watching the killing and burning in much the same way they would have watched a lynching. Then, all records of the event disappeared, and most civil discussion of it stopped. (6) It was as if the "riot," as it was termed, had never occurred.

CLICK THE WEB PAGE, THERE'S MORE - A LOT MORE!

http://www.ideajournal.com/articles.php?id=2

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Big Ups for posting this!

Great post, Brother I
    One of the most under-reported atrocities of this country's history. One of the reasons I believe its vital that we know these stories and that our children know them is to ensure they never happen again. One of the things I learned from once living in a very heavily jewish neighborhood is that all their children knew not only the story of the 'holocaust', but even more, they knew dozens of stories about the 'pograms' in europe going back a couple of hundred years! They also knew the story of how modern day israel came to be, etc. This section is one way of addressing this hole in our soul. Much thanks!

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Great Post about Black Wall Street Brother I, there is a video about it too.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    of topic but on topic.......dear Isaiah

do you think you can stop attacking Indya and defying Destee so that we can keep the flow of information coming?
    you have to decide which is more important in the long run, to get off some cheap shots attacking somebody or to continue making a contribution so that unschooled young people can learn?

i don't even like Indya but she has broken NO rules and so she can stay.
    do you want to be banned while she is still here? who will refute her statements then?

i had to intercede to keep you from being banned last week.
    i can't do that but so many times.

if you're so smart why can't you control yourself?
    think about it.

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I second that.

Too many good posters are getting banned for getting too heated in debates. And though these most recent situations have been temporary bans, it's still not worth the risk as far as I'm concerned.

Isaiah is a good poster with interesting viewpoints. I don't want to see him banned either.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    they will not be temporary the next time, i think.
    i do not want to lose a valuable resource over some silliness.

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

Black Wall Street............................great post, this info is truly needed & should be put in the face of any blacks who say we can't work together when it comes to setting up businesses and being self-sufficient....

Peace

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Remember Black Wall Street and the Greenwood Ancestors.

The aftermath of events is eerily similar to conditions in post-hurricane Katrina NOLA.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, my beloved brother, they are very similar to recent events... As a matter of fact, I want to present some information regarding the African Ecuadorians and the African Colombians who live off the Pacific Coast of those countries, and are being threatened with deracination from their lands so developers can come in, and build beachfront propertiess... Additionally, the Garifuna of Honduras, also live on lands by the sea, and are being threatened with removal from their lands for the same purposel... And down in the Sea Islands of South Carolina and Georgia, where my folks are from, all kinds of investors come in, offering pittances for the land, and our people are moving away... On American Beach, in Fernandina, Florida, that process is about totally complete...

So, my brother, by hook or crook, the paralells are there all over the world, and African people must get hip to the tricks... We are moved around like little chess pieces on a chess board, and we don't seem to be very cognizant of it...But one day we will have no place to live, no place to stay, and then what will we do??? We've got to get together now, and do some serious brainstorming on how to stop this onslaught...

Peace1
    Isaiah

10. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +601
    An Easy Start?

An easy starting point is the fact that we still view ourselves as the colour Black in conjunction with the people of African ethnicity in the USA, the rest of the Diaspora and Africa are aspiring to be the only ethnicity on the Planet to collectively advance without our own elite’s guidance and support; with many of us expecting our lower echelons with their limited education and experience to deduce or intuit a reasonable way forward, whereas all the other ethnicities utilise their most brilliant intelligentsia for this strategically vital function?

Even our leaders back in the 50’s and 60’s didn’t realise that language in particular is the operating system for the brain like Windows XP or NT is for computers, thus making it very difficult for peoples of African ethnicity in the USA and the rest of the Diaspora to sidestep European influence because their language is literally our mother tongue.

An easy example of this concept at work is the fact that we collectively and individually insist on using the word Black, which is a colour when what we are actually describing, is our African ethnicity. The Asians don’t describe themselves as Yellow [Chinese, Japanese, Korean] or Brown [Indian, Pakistan, Arab] Americans.

Black apart from being consistently inaccurate [there are hundreds of millions of brown/black skinned Indians who are not of African ethnicity] is also consistently used within European cultures as a disparaging term, i.e. Black Day, The Black Death, Black Magic, Blackmail [which is in fact illegal and such as serious and contemptable offence as to assure a jail term], Blackout etc whereas no one says African Day, Africanmail, Africanout, which is why I am promoting and projecting the fact that African is preferable to Black [and should be used consistently instead of Black] on every level.