Phones and Apps : Considering Cellphone Usage

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Apr 2, 2011.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Cellphone radiation may alter your brain. Let's talk.

Circuits: There are a number of things that cellphone users can do to reduce the potential impacts of radiation on their brains.

By KATE MURPHY

The New York Times

In a culture where people cradle their cellphones next to their heads with the same constancy and affection that toddlers hold their security blankets, it was unsettling last month when a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association indicated doing so could alter brain activity.

... But today's ubiquitous smartphones emit even more radiation as they transmit more, and more complex, data.

You can get an idea of the relative amounts of radiation various cellphone models emit by looking at their SAR, or Specific Absorption Rate (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/sar.html). This number indicates how much radiation is absorbed by the body when using the handset at maximum power. A cellphone cannot be sold in the United States unless a FCC-approved laboratory says its SAR is below 1.6 watts per kilogram. In Europe, the maximum is 2 watts per kilogram.

The SAR number is not displayed when you compare cellphones at your local wireless store, and trying to find it in the fine print of your user manual is an exercise in frustration. The FCC maintains that SAR values "do not provide sufficient information" to reliably compare cellphone radiation emissions because certain phones might rarely operate at maximum power. Still, the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit organization, has a comprehensive list of the SAR values for most cellphones available from major carriers on its website (http://www.ewg.org/cellphoneradiation/Get-a-Safer-Phone). (For instance, the Apple iPhone 4 is listed at 1.17 watts per kilogram, the Motorola Droid at 1.5 and the LG Quantum at 0.35.)

But more important than looking for a low-SAR phone is how you use it. Many cellphones emit the most radiation when they initially establish contact with the cell tower, when they make their "digital handshake." So to reduce exposure it's best to wait until after your call has been connected to put your cellphone next to your ear.

During the ensuing conversation, it's advisable to tilt the phone away from your ear when you are talking and only bring it in close to your ear when you are listening. That bit of teeter-totter works because the emission of radiation is "significantly less when a cellphone is receiving signals than when it is transmitting," said Lin Zhong, assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering at Rice University in Houston.

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I'm probably one of the few young folks who don't use cell phones....I have one, but I don't like to use it. It's pretty much there for in case of emergencies.

But I'm generally not a phone person anyways.

It does however, drive me a lil crazy when I'm out with friends and they are all texting when we're supposed to hanging out and conversing with one another.

3. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    No doubt, Ms...
    I heard years ago that when men carry it on their belts, the phones emit radiation into the pelvic area, causing impotence. I stopped that. Early.

I gave up the smart phone. I just got a basic one. Dont need to walk around with a fully functional computer in my pocket. I dont run a business, and I aint that important. But now they are considered fashion accessories.

The texting thing is epidemic. I see grandmas texting like crazy, (well, considering today's grandma is like 38years old) trying to stay hip....

Great post.

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    People could just use headsets and save some wrist strain. The SAR on bluetooth headsets is pretty low, and wired ones are shielded enough.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    :SuN018:i am the last person in philly who do not have a cell phone........

6. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    I love my phone (iphone), but I do try to keep in mind safer user habits. This is a good reminder to all. Thanks.

7. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    Good post. Informative! To add, there is an alarming rise of youth with cell phones..I'm talking 8-10 year olds..it's moreso regarded as a fashion accessory/toy:oops: