Black People : Congressional Black Causus

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Indigo Blues, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Indigo Blues

Indigo Blues Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +164
    Can someone please explain to me the purpose for the CBC. The Who's, The What's and The Why's of the Congressional Black Causus. Why do we need them? What have the CBC done for blackfolks that was/is a major accomplishment? How are they making a diffence for our people? What kind of voice do they hold on Capital Hill? or are they just another group of Bourgie KneeGrows pretending like they care?

Are they meeting any of their VISION, MISSION and GOALS shown down below?

Vision/Mission/Goals of the Congressional Black Causus

CBCF Vision
    We envision a world in which the black community is free of all disparities and able to contribute fully to advancing the common good.

CBCF Mission
    Our mission is to advance the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy and educating the public.

CBCF Will Achieve Its Mission By:
    • Facilitating the exchange of ideas and information to address critical issues affecting our communities.

• Developing strategic research and historical resources for the public.

• Providing leadership development and scholarship opportunities.

• Developing effective programs and research to address social, economic and health disparities.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    if you don't know maybe it's best if you just leave it alone…….

3. Indigo Blues

Indigo Blues Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +164
    Why, James? Why should I leave it alone?

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Great thread and very good questions my sister friend, Indigo Blues,

Here's some insight, as felt by a group of us, about their inactivity toward having political impact in areas where our people are concerned, check it out:

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/page-4#post-684207

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/page-7#post-693156

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/page-9#post-695929

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/page-9#post-696189

Peace In,

5. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    I dont think they have done any more or any less than any other Washington think tank. Only difference is they got paid big money to do so. They were probably more relevant back in the 90's.

I do applaud the CBC's recent efforts to come out in the streets, the urban areas and address the jobs issue. Its about time some one got specific and addressed urban unemployment, at the very least...shined a light on it.

6. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Sista,IMO there are there just to exist. I've been hearing about them for decades, and they've been useless since the 80's. They got their nerve to point the finger at Obama, but forget how conservatives­ made them roll over, and help Reagan defeat the min.wage increase in 81. Their train of though was, that blacks would not be hired if the minimum wage went up. Now they call Obama weak, this should show how weak minded they are. They are all talk, and no action.

Look down on the lower left of the article.

http://books.google.com/books?id=L8nDKoa0eBQC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=the congressional black caucus helped Reagan defeated the minimum wage in 1981&source=bl&ots=qiSpbkO3ZB&sig=HpW7-akRSex8K0zRGcXp0aeJIxg&hl=en&ei=qiJUTuGAPYHt0gGZx5mKBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA

Peace!

7. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    @Enki....I agree to a point.
    They need to ease up with that "Obama" mess. But I would give props to Cong.John Conyers, a founding member. He was a leading voice, a watchdog and did help pass some vital legislation.
    Outside of Conyers, John Lewis and Maxine Waters, I cant name another single member.

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Thanks brutha for pointing this fact out. I think it's good because it shows how we all think at times. We only see the part that we don't agree with, and not the good that has been accomplished. So what we end up doing is "throwing the baby out with the bath water". We(including me) has to remember,or should learn that there are 41 blacks that make up this body. A majority vote is 218, you can't get that without these 41 blacks. Now many bills have been passed that benefit blacks,this would not have happened if they weren't involved.

But they are falling pray to the same system of gov. that they want Obama to circumvent,and he can't. Bills they pass are held up in the Senate, but the CBC isn't in the Senate. So bills they passed is in the hands of someone else,and there is nothing they can do about it. Maybe they should remember this when they want Obama to do things that is not within his purview.

Peace brutha!

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......To add, Conyers keeps H.R. 41, Discussion on Reparations, in front of Congress, yearly.

Peace In,