Congo : Congo crisis is world's deadliest: survey

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
The Congo conflict is the deadliest humanitarian crisis of the last 60 years but the world is still not doing enough to save lives, according to a survey on Friday.

Its authors pleaded urgently for more aid and tougher security in the wake of a war estimated to have killed nearly four million people, mainly through hunger and disease.

"Congo is the deadliest crisis anywhere in the world over the past 60 years," said Richard Brennan, health director of the New York-based International Rescue Committee that counted the human cost of the conflict.

"Ignorance about its scale and impact is almost universal and international engagement remains completely out of proportion to humanitarian need," Brennan said after the survey findings were published in the Lancet medical journal.

The U.N.'s 17,000-strong Congo peacekeeping force -- its biggest in the world -- is trying to establish order across Africa's third largest country in the wake of the war which began in 1998 and officially ended in 2003.

Bands of gunmen still intimidate civilians in large areas, particularly in the east whose mineral riches are believed to have fueled a conflict that at one point drew in six foreign armies and was dubbed Africa's first world war.

Brennan said improved security is vital to lower the death toll and argued that aid must be dramatically increased.

The survey showed that the death toll in the Congo conflict so far was higher than the numbers killed in Bosnia, Rwanda, Kosovo and Darfur.

After surveying 19,500 households across the former Belgian colony, the survey calculated that the mortality rate was 40 percent higher than that of Sub-Saharan Africa, with more than 1,200 people dying every day.

Up to 20 percent of children are malnourished. Most deaths, especially in children, occur from easily preventable illnesses.

"National and international efforts to address the crisis remain grossly inadequate," the survey concluded, arguing that more, better trained peacekeeping troops were speedily needed.

The survey authors' outrage was echoed by Evelyn Depoortere of the Paris-based aid agency Epicentre who said "Rich donor nations are miserably failing the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo."

"Every few months the mortality equivalent of two southeast Asian tsunamis ploughs through its territory," Depoortere said in a commentary to accompany the survey findings.

"We can no longer claim ignorance about this and other wars' profound and protracted effect on human health," she said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060106/wl_nm/congo_conflict_dc&printer=1;_ylt=AgKwpcIE28VW2h1KhSDGpQVn.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
'Thousands' dying in DR Congo war

Conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo is killing 38,000 people each month, says the Lancet medical journal. Most of the deaths are not caused by violence but by malnutrition and preventable diseases after the collapse of health services, the study said.

Since the war began in 1998, some 4m people have died, making it the world's most deadly war since 1945, it said.

A peace deal has ended most of the fighting but armed gangs continue to roam the east, killing and looting.

"Congo is the deadliest crisis anywhere in the world over the past 60 years," said Richard Brennan, health director of the New York-based International Rescue Committee and the study's lead author.

"Ignorance about its scale and impact is almost universal and international engagement remains completely out of proportion to humanitarian need,"

Some 17,000 United Nations peacekeepers are in DR Congo, to restore peace and organise elections due by the end of June 2006.

Looting

Researchers visited nearly 20,000 households across the country over a three-month period in 2004, recording births and deaths over the previous 18 months.

They then compared their results with data from neighbouring countries and before the war began and are confident that their results are accurate.

Children were worst affected by the increased mortality rate, often from easily preventable and treatable diseases like malaria and diarrhoea, the study found.

In some parts, death rates were double the pre-war level, while the mortality rate in the city of Kisangani dropped by 80% after fighting there stopped in 2002.

At its height, at least seven foreign armies were involved in the war.

Many fighters - both foreign and Congolese - have been accused of looting DR Congo's vast natural mineral resources during the war.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4586832.stm

Tantrum

Oct 26, 2005
Windy City
Occupation
Pos Technical Support
Jesus 38,000 a month
Mostly all from malnutritution
Its crazy how good we have it
We throw away good food
We take for granted how good
Our lives really are-We as a Country
Have so many resources that I never understand
We can spend millions on wasted government projects
Yet we cant even help a country that is in need
Sometimes I dont understand the country in which we live in
This was an enlightment Brother Pan Thank You

militant

Jun 21, 2005
Tantrum said:
Jesus 38,000 a month
Mostly all from malnutritution
Its crazy how good we have it
We throw away good food
We take for granted how good
Our lives really are-We as a Country
Have so many resources
that I never understand
We can spend millions on wasted government projects
Yet we cant even help a country that is in need
Sometimes I dont understand the country in which we live in
This was an enlightment Brother Pan Thank You
Now Let me give you real enlightenment, my brother. Congo is sitting on the richest land with natural resources on the planet. But your country will not let them live in Peace. You are living your "good" life because of fraudulently and criminally obtained mineral resources from countries like Congo!! Thats why the people with the actual resources die of malnutrition. Or do you think the steel, oil, natural gas, gold, diamonds that have become part and parcel of the decadent American life came from heaven? No. There are people being exploited for you. I am waiting for the day Americans will say "Hey Africa is messed up, so lets leave there minerals and oil for them".

I am sorry to ask, but this is a black consciousness site, right?

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
militant said:
Now Let me give you real enlightenment, my brother. Congo is sitting on the richest land with natural resources on the planet. But your country will not let them live in Peace. You are living your "good" life because of fraudulently and criminally obtained mineral resources from countries like Congo!! Thats why the people with the actual resources die of malnutrition. Or do you think the steel, oil, natural gas, gold, diamonds that have become part and parcel of the decadent American life came from heaven? No. There are people being exploited for you. I am waiting for the day Americans will say "Hey Africa is messed up, so lets leave there minerals and oil for them".
I am sorry to ask, but this is a black consciousness site, right?
This is a site for teaching (learning) and building brother Militant, which brother Tantrum is doing. Very few make the connections between the resources and comforts available in the US, and how many people in other countries were exploited to obtain them. It is up to those who know, to make others aware of this reality.

militant

Jun 21, 2005
panafrica said:
This is a site for teaching (learning) and building brother Militant, which brother Tantrum is doing. Very few make the connections between the resources and comforts available in the US, and how many people in other countries were exploited to obtain them. It is up to those who know, to make others aware of this reality.
Thanks. What I find unbelievable is how people take it for granted.
Allow me to post something that will shock you even more. It should be a thread on its own, but I will just post a snippet for you. I just hope its not true as some people claim.
U.S. shortlists five to succeed Obasanjo
By Chinedu Offor, Correspondent, Washington
Washington has picked five Nigerians it believes could take over from President Olusegun Obasanjo even with Abuja giving mixed signals on the third term scheme.

The five have been investigated and cleared by the American authorities.
They are a former world bank official, a South East governor who has had running battles with Obasanjo – and is among a small group of governors resisting an extension of his rule.

They include a retired military officer from the Middle Belt, an outspoken former speaker of the House of Representatives and a serving minister who recently accused Senators of corruption.

State Department officials said they got involved because one of the reasons the supporters of Obasanjo gave for their call for an extension of his tenure is the lack of credible alternative to his leadership.
"This list is our humble contribution to the search for the next leaders of a vital ally like Nigeria", the officials said.
http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jan/4/625.html
I hope that the above news is some New Year joke and not a violation of another nation's internal affairs.

youngblackceo

Jun 19, 2004
Richmond,Va
Great posts militant, it is amazing how things have been turned upside down. What is called third world are impoverish countries in the world are actually countries with enormous wealth but yet the people in those countries are poor. What's going on here people why is that Africa which is one of the wealthiest continents on this earth. Why are it's people perceived as being poor and underdeveloped? This is and amazing situation and the funny thing is Africans in america will look at the situiation and assume that it has nothing to do with them. We have been throughly mis-educated because the same circumstances apply to us as well as our Africans brothers and sisters in the mother continent. In fact if you look at the situation for the African all over this world you will see the same game being played on us and yet we still can't see the connection. We are sitting in this country today feeding every other race while our children starve. We talk about unemployment in our communities but do we ever sit back and think how many jobs we create for other people just based on how we spend money? What's going on in Africa is no different from what's going on all over of this world when it comes to Africans and we must be able to see that connection.

The African man and woman in america has not recognize yet that we are a nation of people in a country full of other nations of people. Samething in Africa despite all of the superficial differences Africans our a part of one nation and until we recognize this. Other nations who are developed and recognizes themselves as one nation with the same interest will continue to come in and exploit the resources of Africa for themselves.
The same tired bourgeoise leaders in Africa that has continued to lead the countries in Africa straight to hell. Are no different from the tired leadership that we are so accustomed to here in america.

I have said this before black people. As long as we are dominated by another people we will continue to act in ways that are against our best interest. That's what domination is all about people it is not about the dominator being fair our nice to the dominanted people. And by the way that is basically all our so called leaders are asking from whites. When you look at how we interact with whites politically, socially and economically that's all we seem to want from them. These people who have basically bumrushed our country and have used all types of violent methods to control the resources of our country. Yet we as a people get excited and all warm and fuzzy on the inside when a representative from any western country, especially in the usa talks of Africa as if we should be happy they are or will extend charities to Africa.
To me that is a joke you got this cat from U2 running aroung here talking about ending poverty in Africa. This is the same neo-colonial game that these people have been playing on us forever. Africans are poor because of how we've been made to think and what we've been made to believe. So just getting europeans countries to give us aid will not change a damthing for the African and they know it. If they really wanted to end poverty in Africa they would redistribute the wealth and deal with the difference in the power structure between the european and the African but they are not going to do this regardless of any moral obligations you may think they owe us.

militant

Jun 21, 2005
Very Excellent, youngblackceo. You summed it all up perfectly. I couldnt have said it better!! And with the fall of USA we have the rise of China as the new colonialist of Africa.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
militant said:
And with the fall of USA we have the rise of China as the new colonialist of Africa.
The enemy of my enemy isn't my friend. African needs to realize this before it is too late.

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
panafrica said:
African needs to realize this before it is too late.
for "African", read "WE"!

or, i suppose, american born/bred Africans can just keep "looking over there" every time somebody calls you an "African". i am getting so disgusted by that little piece of brainwashing that i find it really hard, too much of the time, to listen to, read of, or hear from "you"!

sorry, but that is my pain and i guess it doesn't have to mean anything to you. to some extent, there are some that have grown up and realized that we are all Africans, regardless of what country we live in. and sometimes there is some awareness that if anything "is to be done for Africa", Africa/WE will have to do it!

oh, but don't mind me; go on back to the game or american idol or the sitcoms or the new cd ..... (oops! `scuse; back to lurking!)

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.
It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.