Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Confession - I'm So Tired of Fighting with My Natural Hair!

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Destee, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I am sooooo tired of fighting with my natural hair!

It is an absolute fight! It's so long and thick and nappy and unruly and a chore for me!

I have always been way lazy about my hair, doing as little as possible to keep it looking some kinda way decent ... and Lawd Lawd Lawd ... with it being natural, it takes so much more work! It's almost a full time job!

It has a mind of its own! It does what it wants! It acts like it's running thangz ... i mean ... really ... how you gonna run the whole show hair!?!

I have thought of perms many a day here lately!

I've been natural for 5 years (at least), so it aint like i aint tried.

I've not put any heat in my hair all of these years ... not even a blow dryer!

I do want to know what God intended, when giving us this hair. I believe with my whole heart there is a blessing in it, but i aint found it yet!

I'm not saying i'm giving up ... but i'm tired ... my hair has me on the ropes ... :lol:

Okay ... i'm done venting ... thank you ... :love:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Maybe i need to pay someone else to do it. I've never done that since going natural.

When i was permed, i spent money on my hair, getting the perm and stuff.

Maybe i just need help with it ... iono.

Destee

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Chop it off

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    that's certainly an option ... thanks.

Destee

5. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    You ain't the only one, I have been natural for 4 years now, I been doing the scarf thing lately. I was even considering shaving it all off for a minute, then I realized that I just don't have the face for that. Maybe you should do braids or a sew in for a while, just to give you a break, I have been thinking about that for a minute, but I just don't have the money for it. Don't give up, this too shall pass. Sometimes we just get tired of dealing with it, but it's beautiful, and that we can not deny. Take a deep breath and remember how you feel when you wear your hair in a twist out or that big fro.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Thanks Sister ... it's nice to know i'm not alone! Whew! I thot i was the only one! ... :cry:

It's braided most of the time, else i'd have to do something with it every day! I do the scarf thing too on occasion, but that aint sexy ... lol

What's a sew in? Is that adding more hair to mine? I don't need more. Please share more about a sew in, how expensive are they?

I really appreciate the encouragement. I aint hardly finna give up on it, it would be like giving up on my own self, since it's me ... right ... :)

I kinda think of my hair as having characteristics of us as a people, Black Men and Women, 'cause we shole can be difficult sum times ... :lol:

It's kinda how we are, not just difficult, but stubborn, strong, invincible, all of that! Gotta almost kill us (perm us) to get us to behave!

It's like a real live energy living in my hair, that refuses to be tamed ... :lol:

Oh Gosh ... i really can't help but love it ... but whew Lawd ... as i've often said ... we aint an easy people, and this hair of mine aint easy either!

Like you, i can't afford to spend too much on it, but i'm thinking an occasional visit to a salon for the braiding part or something, may help.

Over these past 5 years, i've saved lots of money ... so maybe it's time to spend some money on it ... to give myself a break.

Though part of the joy of being natural has been the saving money part ... but obviously ... everything costs something, even if it aint money ... i'm still paying!

I do love my natural hair, and would be very disappointed to get a perm ... but sometimes ... i be look'n cross the fence, where the grass looks greener.

But i been over there already, spent most of my life over there, and it wasn't all that green ... okay ... i think i am just venting ... :)

Thanks for the encouragement Sister! Love You!

Destee

7. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Ha!

Sister Destee, unfortunately, I can't help you that much either because I am in the same boat as you are with my hair! I don't know what to do! You've said everything I wanted to say but did not know how to put it in words. I've been natural for many years, but unlike you I have blow dried it and it dried my hair out and damaged it some. so, I can say this though, NO! Don't go back to the perm/relaxer! You will destroy everything that you have achieved thus far! Don't destroy all you beautiful new growth hair with those chemicals! I'm saying this to you to help myself too!!

I just don't know what to do. the women in my church give me the negative vibes because I TWIST [not braid], but twist my hair in order to keep it styled, because they have interpreted the Bible in such a way that they may think I am wrong for doing it. but then they come in with their hair all butchered up, straightened like the White woman and have the nerve to look down on me. Right now, I'm too busy to be doing my hair in a nicer style, so I don't know what to do! Like you said, when I do take the time, IT TAKES ME ALL DAY! I'm talking hours and hours. I haven't went back to try the 'knots' style yet, I put in the hair thread, but I'm thinking about that. also like you said, it might be good to pay someone if you have the money, I don't right now. I think some hair salons might be going back to doing styles for natural hair so, it's worth the research. I have seen one lady and I think she had to have went somewhere to het her style, and she's a tv personality and her hair looks so awesome. I think I put it in the hair thread and her name is something like, Vanessa? she does the today show. Anyway, good luck and I will be looking out to see what you come up with cause I'm cryin and wondering. I'm singin your song too! I'm like, I don't know what God has in store for me with this kind of hair, but I trying to do something with it!

8. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    What about 2-strand twists. When my hair was loose (un-loced) I would 2-strand twist my hair 1/month. It would last for 3 weeks and wear a twist out for a week and wash it.

9. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    the joys of being male :)

10. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    thas the ticket right there...plus when u wash it out ur hair will be more manageable...

one love
    khasm