Black People : Confederate History Month?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Apr 6, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Virigina's Governor has declared that April will be "Confederate History Month".

"Confederate History Month," the first time in 8 years that such a proclamation has been issued in the state.

In the statement, McDonnell says that the Confederate history "should not be forgotten, but instead should be studied, understood and remembered," and that its leaders "fought for their homes and communities and Commonwealth in a time very different than ours today." READ MORE

Donnell's Statement

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Cool.

Let'em have it.

3. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Cool

I hope Sonny Perdue does the same thing.

If he does, "In honor of Confederate History Month, Atlanta will burn itself to the ground."

4. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I concur with the two above.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Likewise here.......and beside why not !

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    From what I gathered from other discussions from black folks on forums, they are opposed to this. They say that to have this has a holiday would be like celebrating what the whole confederacy stood for.

7. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    At least at that time black folks stuck together and took care of themselves.

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    hmmm...

9. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    White folks only want it because they oppose Black History Month. Without us, they would have absolutely nothing to stand on or be angry about or feel guilty about or scapegoat for the problems.... so they love us for that.

A lot of white people really do embrace their confederate history and flag. To be fair, I don't think it's something that should be denied to them because it's apart their history and the history of america.... just like our history is apart of our history and the history of america. I do oppose any flag outside of the US flag and state flag on any federal and local government buildings tho. If they get to do that, then anyone who has a personal flag, a cultural flag, or flag or their country if they are immegrant should be able to fly their flag on local and state buildings.

As a black person, I think that whites embracing their confederate history is embracing racism, slavery, and everything that came from that and still comes from that. So I understand why those other blacks oppose.

But to hear whites tell it, it doesn't necessarily mean that (it could mean that, but not necessarily). White folks are very territorial and patriotic, so they love their country and their state. If their state was apart of the confederate union, then they embrace that part of history. If it was apart of the Union army, they'd embrace that.

Regardless of what side they fought on, to them it was about standing up for you believed in, standing up for your rights (even if it included slavery), honoring and being proud of ancestors who stood and fought for their rights, honoring the legacy of your war heroes and your family name.

We may not condone or accept their embracing of the confederate history, but we should be able to understand those concepts from our own point of view and our own history. Some blacks fought on the confed side.... we may not like that... but aren't they still our family? I'd honor their name and legacy still because that person and their history is apart of my history.

I ain't down with the confeds and never will be.... but if they want a month to celebrate what they think is important to them, oh well. Let 'em have it.

Yeah, this argument can all the way to the deep end... 'well what if the KKK wanted a month celebrate? Why can't they have one of the Confeds get a month?'

OK. Fine with me. Give 'em April. They can celebrate all that crap together since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You think they still wanna come to Mardi Gras?

The irony to that is... Mardi Gras celebrates the ending of slavery in some state or country or other. Celebrate the legacy that condones slavery then celebrate the festival that ended it. They can come to Juneteeth too.

10. medusanegrita

Ratings:
    +565
    Separatist :em3700: