Black People : Confederate Currency: The Color of Money...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Feb 3, 2001
    +114 / -0
    Confederate Currency:

The Color of Money investigates the importance of slavery in the economy of the South. Artist John W. Jones has researched and documented over 126 images of slavery that were depicted on Confederate and Southern States money. The juxtaposition of the framed Confederate Currencies with the acrylic paintings inspired by the slave images on the currencies makes a very powerful statement on the contribution of enslaved Africans to the American economy. In these paintings, as John says, “history informs art, which in turn artfully reveals more history”.
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Feb 9, 2001
    Brother Aqil, thank you for sharing the information on the art exhibit, "The Color of Money". What a powerful and very telling piece. The artist has brought more information to light about the history of America and its inherently oppressive nature. In his final statement, the brother wrote,

"My hope is that the exhibition Confederate Currency: The Color of Money will inspire discussions on the legacy of slavery and somehow help to remove the shame African Americans feel and remove the guilt whites feel when slavery is discussed."

I think this piece will inspire discussions about slavery, just like so many other factual stories that the oppressor tried to bury as they re-wrote the history books and the truth eventually came to light. However, I question the validity of the artist's belief that African Americans feel shame for having come from a lineage of slaves and certainly I don't lose any sleep hoping that whites stop feeling guilty when slavery is discussed, particularly when Blacks continue to be dealt the poison that was created by their ancestors. Not having done any research but feeling somewhat confident in my opinion, I would hardly say that shame is what modern day African Americans are feeling.

Other than that, I am thankful for what the brother has done and support what he continues to do.

So let the dialogue continue . . .

Peace! :spinstar:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black people on confederate money

2. confederate currency: the color of money

3. color of money- Confederate money

4. black people on confederate currency