Black Relationships : Condoms are only effective in preventing certain STDs

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by panafrica, Aug 18, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    There are some pretty common and nasty STDs like Herpes & Genital Warts, as well as minor ones like Craps & Scabies that condoms are not effective in preventing. How do people protect themselves in a generation where the only power than have to prevent certain infections is the choice they make in sexual partners?

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    It would be optimal to get tested for diseases before you have sex and try to find someone that will be monogamus.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I find it disturbing that this thread has only gotten one response. I am in a monogamous, married relationship, so I'm not worried about STDs. However I know this is not the case for the majority of people on the website...no one cares about this reality? Is ignorance truly bliss?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    asked and answered.

5. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I know how you feel brotha Pan, I've started threads with serious topics and have gotten little response.

But anyway, Here's my 2 cents, STD's are spreading like wild fire among adolescents and teenagers, and it sometimes it seems like the message is not getting thru to our youth.

I'm doing my to let our youth know the dangers out there, but parents need to step up a little more.

6. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I've got some relatives not as old as me that has caught some STDs 2 and 3 times already. It's becoming a problem, one day it might be a right of, or part of the ceremony for the passage into adulthood. If it already isn't.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Parents definately have to step it up more. When I hear about STD stats (syphillis, and other diseases on the rise), and encounter the number of youth who have STDs, I got worried for them.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That is downright scary brother Deepvoice. Actually I find many of your observations of the behavior of today's youth to be disturbing. However, I'm glad that you tell us your observations. They are important to learning where our young people's heads are at. There is much work to be done.

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Well even with older people in their 20s and 30s and up, this is an issue. I don’t know if this has already been discussed on this board, but let’s say you meet someone and the reality of having sex is right around the corner, what is the best way to get a man to get tested without “issues?” Now, I’m the type of woman who meets issues head on, but some women don’t ask or insist on any kind of testing because they want to avoid issues and don’t want to risk losing the man.
    And how about a typical man? Will he turn down sex if he hasn’t seen the woman’s test results?

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I believe this has been discussed before; however, there is no "best" way to address this issue. The only way to address someone's status for STDs is to outright ask for them to be tested...go together. This is an issue of personal protection! If someone takes offense, they don't care enough about your safety (or their safety) to be trusted. I wouldn't give them a second thought.