Black People : Color Meanings & Subtle Racism

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SophiaG, Sep 17, 2010.

1. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while.

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

"White means safety, purity, and cleanliness. As opposed to black, white usually has a positive connotation."

"Black is a mysterious color associated with fear and the unknown (black holes). It usually has a negative connotation (blacklist, black humor, 'black death')."

If you go click on the link it'll also tell you that Black also means: " Black denotes strength and authority; it is considered to be a very formal, elegant, and prestigious color (black tie, black Mercedes). In heraldry, black is the symbol of grief."

Which I find to be quite true.

Does Darkness = Blackness? If so, many a horror story has been centered around night-time. The darkness being a primordial fear of man because he can't see in the dark.

Conversely Light = White, The White Light At the End of the Tunnel in a near death experience. ?

Do you think that Western Civilization's racism is somewhat added onto by the connotations it has given these "colors". I say "colors" because I'm not sure if black is all the colors combined, or if white is. I forget, It's been too long since I've taken art class. -_-

Do you think that the connotation given to these colors somehow "primes" people of different races subconsciously, to view each other differently?

What do you think?

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    See the entire movie "Malcolm X" by Spike Lee,
    and it will answer this and a hundred other questions

3. Bast Bastet

Bast Bastet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +57
    DOMINANT AND RECESSIVE CHARACTERISTICS

DOMINANT TRAITS: brown eyes - farsightedness - normal vision -
    dark hair - non-red hair - curly hair - full head of hair
    widow's peak - dimples - unattached earlobes - freckles - broad lips

RECESSIVE TRAITS: grey, green, hazel, blue eyes - normal vision - nearsightedness -
    night blindness - color blindness - blonde, light, red hair - red hair straight hair
    baldness - normal hairline - no dimples - attached earlobes - no freckles - thin lips

http://www.blinn.edu/socialscience/ldthomas/feldman/handouts/0203hand.htm

4. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I"m sorry, what's your argument in posting this? I'm well aware of how genetics work, just, could you provide an explaination as to why you posted this and/or argument?