Colon Polyps

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by river, Jun 4, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yesterday I had a colonoscopy. It's a medical procedure where the doctor takes a little camera on the end of a long tube and enters your intestines through...well anyway...he looks at your intestines to check for polyps(growths on the surface). The day before the test you have to go on a liquids only diet then drink this stuff to make you go to the bathroom cuz your colon has to be clean. when you go in for the test they give you an IV then they put you to sleep and when you wake up the doctor is smiling all over you and tells you what the results were. They found two benign polyps in me.

The reason I got it was because I was feeling severe nausea all over my body but especially in the pit of my stomach. My primary physician did blood work and all kinds of test but on paper I looked like the picture of health. Although nausea is not a symptom of polyps it was my body telling me something was going on that needed my attention.

As noted on this web page polyps can be benign (no cancer) or malignant (cancerous). It's good to start getting a regular colonoscopy at age 40-45. Benign polyps can become malignant so you want to have the polyps discovered and removed before you start getting symptoms.
    http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colonpolyps_ez/#what

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Hi river!

Do you have a problem with indigestion?

Severe nausea could be a symptom of GERD as well, did they do they do a scope going thru your mouth?

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    good for you. i had mine done a minute ago.

4. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista Amaat,

No, I haven't experienced reflux. Just the nausea and a feeling like something toxic inside me. Lots of bloating and gas that seemed to go up into my head but not come out. I'd get a swelling feeling in my temples and pressure in my ears like when you are on an airplane.

The feelings have subsided and seemed to have gone away when I stopped eating prepackaged romaine salad mix which I had been eating everyday for months until I discovered it had been recalled. But I'm not sure that had anything to do with it because the lettuce caused ecoli. I did not seem to have the symptoms of ecoli. And nausea is a symptom of a whole lot of things.

Although the colonoscopy went well I am concerned that the communication between me and my primary physician has eroded. It's really sad because she is the first health care provider I thought I could trust since she wasn't in a hurry to drug me up and she would listen. But as all my tests came back normal or negative she seemed to become skeptical about my symptoms. I guess that as a scientist she may have been trying to fit my condition into a paradigm and when she could not she dismissed it as psychosomatic. The doctor who did my colonoscopy wan't like that. He told me to tell him everything so he could form a picture.

Because of my hearing impairment I wasn't clear on the consonants to pronounce the word colonosopy. When I asked my primary to show me how it is pronounced she turned to her nurse and asked "What is she talking about?" Needless to say I resented this quite a bit but said nothing. One of her patients standing nearby told me how the word is pronounced.

A couple weeks ago the nurse took blood from me to test for PTH. After the colonoscopy I called to see what the results for the PTH were so I could plan my vacation but the lady at the desk said "When it is ready we will let you know."

don't call us. We'll call you.

The doctor who did my colonoscopy suggested to me that it was time for me to get another mammogram. But I don't want to ask my primary physician about it. I know that is childish but I don't feel comfortable with her anymore. I don't want a new physician. I want to restore the report that we had before but I don't know how to do it. I don't talk to people who think I'm bugging because the more I try to express my thoughts to them the more skeptical they become. You know like"you shouldn't feel like that or nobody but you would feel like that or if you feel like that then leave. I'm not licking any wounds. I just don't want to talk to her while she has this attitude.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    CAUTION~

If you are diabetic you will want to work very closely with your doctor because the liquids only diet you have to go on to prepare for a colonoscopy can make your blood sugar go down dangerously low.

I was just talking to my aunt Shirley and she had to cancel hers when her sugar got down to 74 but she's going to try it again.

6. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Eating too much fiber can cause the symptoms you stated.

It doesn't sound like Ecoli poisoning..maybe you were allergic to whatever chemicals that is in the prepackage lettuce or you were eating too much of it.

I think you should write a complaint letter regarding this. She sounds very unprofessional. Yourchart should state that you have an hearing impairment, and the your health provider's nurse would have passed on the same information. In any case it sound like very unprofessional behavior!

that's a parathyroid test correct? and it's taken more than 2 weeks?....don't let them intimidate you, it's your body and your health!

[/QUOTE]

Hmm this sounds like a delicate situation, if she has already done two things you did not like, then you might have to let her go, but not without writing a complaint letter.

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Who do I give the letter to? She's a nurse practitioner (the medicaid HMO keeps sending me to nurse practitioner's instead of doctors for my primary health care. The one I was going to before was a horror. I will spare you the details of their unsanitary practices) with her own private practice.

I am really astonished by what you said that my symptoms wee common to too much fiber. Why didn't she recognize this? She took blood from me three or four times, had a sonogram of my stomach and two urine tests but she never asked me what I was eating. Yes, romaine salad mix everyday month after month is probably too much fiber.

I don't know. Maybe if I switch again the third one will be the charm.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i hate my primary physician and i no longer see him. i manage myself now.

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I feel you, brotha.

I always liked the way my body works and heals itself. I don't even have aspirin in my house I can sleep off a headache.

10. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Users found this page by searching for:

1. colon polyp discussion forums