Black People : College or University a Necessity?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by I-khan, Feb 1, 2006.

1. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    Some older people I know have attended a college or university but work for other people and are sometimes fired from their job then replaced by someone who did not attend a certain university. I know that college is not for everyone, it is all about preference,but is it really a necessity? Considering how many of you are grown I would like to know your input.

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    To be honest, college just shows that you are groomed and capable of learning. It's a growing experience! I attened college but not for what I should have went for, which was creative writing. As black/african americans we always have to have that paper behind our word. We have to work twice as hard and learn twice as hard for them to even acknowledge as a potential employer. I honestly think that you don't have to go to college but you do need to continue to grow and learn to benefit from life!
    I know older cats who never even graduated from highschool and they have their own business and a house,car and steady income!
    It's about what you want to acheive! I think everyone should try college once and if you don't thinks it's for you fine, but please have a plan for your own success!:kiss2:

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I think the important thing college teaches you is how to drill deep in a subject area, how to go well below the surface. If you can do that w/o college, and you're highly talented and focused, college might not be the best use of the time. The vast majority of black folk though need the credentials to get a foot in the door for opportunities.....you need to be really special and lucky and well-connected to make things happen without credentials.

The other thing is most colleges put you into a life-long AND POWERFUL network of alumns. Even alumns of schools that are on the same level of your school become allies down the road.

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    To Each His/Her Own.......

I would have to say, in my instance, that a higher education is a moreso a back-up plan. The career field I am persuing does require some certification, but when it's all said and done, I will run my own business, you know, (a way of not getting knee-deep into the system)

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    .......Nonetheless, it did and does take a valuable EDUCATION for that to happen.

CD

6. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have to attest with Sister Spicey on this one. To Each his or her own when it comes to college. Moreover, I feel the only real need for it is to experience an advanced sense of learning (Depending upon your instiution) and also for creditability purposes. For example if you want to be a lawyer, it would do good of course to go to Law School and before that get your undergrad degree, because that profession requires it. So it is a matter of career choice. I myself go to college because I like higher learning I am receving a Degree in Technology Management, but I really just like school so I cannot say that it is a necessity for me, I just really enjoy engaging in Academic conversation and Academic Writing.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I don't know about college being a necessity, but it is needed if you are to rise above the hum-drum of blue-collar life.... That's coming from a blue-collar guy who, though I've attended college, I never completed college...

It is NOT, I repeat, NOT necessary to go to college to make a lot of money... As an electrician, I made lots of money, and guys who are laborers will, on average, make more money in their life times than say, a teacher or a police officer, though college is required for these positions these days... Guys who do construction jobs may work only 6-8 months out of a year in the Northeast and MidWest, and still make more money than folks working year round who possess a college degree... A carpenter in the union in NYC makes $60 dollars an hour, and an electrician about $40 bucks an hour, so these guys are making near $500.00 a day, and aint never seen the inside of a college unless they were building and wiring it...

I guess it boils down to what you are going to college for... You going to school to do science and technology, or one of the professions, like law and medicine.... Yes, sir ree, you NEED college and then some - and you will not have to worry about the laborer making more money(smile!) But I encourage all African people to go and get a college education... In order for us to build a nation or nations, we must be superior in every way, and that includes knowledge, as well as, practical wisdom and understanding... We,, as African people, really don't have much of a choice but to get as great an education as we can...

Peace!
    isaiah

8. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    The odds of all Americans in completing college is close to 50% actually 54%. Even if you decide which side to be on it will take more than 4 years to complete a "bachelors" degree. That's a real shame.

The most academically educated per capita in America is continental Africans.

The group that graduate college the highest is Asian and Asian Americans and its above the average for all Americans about 10 to 12 % higher.

Blacks and Hispanics graduate at lower levels than all Americans.

Most blacks that go to college do it to get jobs and social standing. That's it.

Only a very small minority translate their college degree into accumulating money and/or accumulating knowledge.

Either way, even if you graduate college their is still plenty of work to do which is UNAVOIDABLE.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Dusty, I agree... That's why I put those options out there for those who want to make different career choices... You can still make a wonderful living, and help build a nation... Nations need laborers more than it needs lawyers...that's why there are more of them... As we speak, in the city of New Orleans, the call is for laborers, not doctors, teachers, and lawyers, and their college degrees...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Greetings All,

Beware Blackbird is in his militant Black stage

School or college, is it a necessity? Hmmm... That's a really tough question. A few others gave superb answers and I can only piggyback. It depends on you, your interests, your aptitude and your goals. I guess. I will tell a story, now.

I dropped out of high school, enrolled in Job Corps and received my G.E.D. I wanted to attend school because mainly it was put in my head to do so since I could remember. Job Corps had a program called Accelerated Career Training (ACT) which provided college opportunities for those interested. I was selected to take part. I attended Southern University-Shreveport, a two year school with a major in Biology/Pre-Med and eventually transferred to the main campus, Southern University-Baton Rouge.

But guess what? I had become active in the community, organizing beautification projects and study groups. I engaged in my own independent study, immersing myself in all things cultural. People assumed I had a degree in anthropology, social work, sociology or something like that because I was knowledgable and was generating fresh innovative ideas to community development, cultural preservation and social issues. Doors were somewhat opened for me with various community partners. I had no degree whatsoever. I switched majors eventually and went the liberal arts track as opposed to science.

Based on my own experiences and relative insight, I believe if we, as those with the relevant resources, would begin channeling our efforts to build/establish those businesses and institutions, maintain those arenas of growth, the overall distance between choosing college or not would lessen. If we would have those places of opportunity for our people and develop the skills to recognize individuals with natural talent and aptitude from within our midst, the ever colonizing yoke of westernized rote higher education would not have the window to invade our consciousness and world at the extent it does.

to be continued...

Blackbird