Black Education / Schools : College graduates see their debt burden increase.

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by panafrica, Mar 29, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ay/collegegraduatesseetheirdebtburdenincrease

I encourage all new and continuing college students to look for as many scholarships that they can. Student loans should be a last choice, not your first option!

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    They also need to consider community colleges which are a lot cheaper and more generous in offering scholarships. I got a full-ride scholarship from the community college I went to.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That is true Karmashines, I went to a community college as well. I always encourage young people to consider community college before they go to a university.

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace,

It is very ridiculous what they charge for "Higher Education" here in America when most of the outside world let's the "future of their Nations" go to school for free.

It's unfortunate, but as u said Community College is an alternative. Most of my friends are still paying & they are over 30 years of age & don't even work in their field of study........

:thinking: :confused: :thinking: :confused:

peace

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That is absolutely true brother Info-moetry. I'm one of those over 30 (barely) people still paying off loans...I'm speaking from experience! Young ladies & gentlemen, don't be like me! LOL!

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    It's sad how college is an overrated rip-off in this country. You do all that studying, pay all that money, and when you get out nobody wants to hire you because you don't have experience.

I think young people not seeking a highly specialized career (such as medicine or law), do better going to a community college or trade school that concentrates on honing in on a marketable skill. I know for myself, even though I have a degree if it weren't for my transcription/typing abilities, I wouldn't be employable at all! These were skills that weren't even obtained through my academic pursuits.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    its funny that every so often you hear reports in mass media saying students will be out of debt in three years. or that the rate of incom is so and so percent higher fro college grads than non ect. i wonder if these reports are done at the universities taxing the masses. :grouphug:

Not only would i advice kids to look for community college. i would also advise them to know what they want, and maby take one or two classes to learn that skill. like my self ive never been big on degrees and corporate amerikkka but i will most likely be taking a course in the fall simply to learn more about film making, usage of film euipment ect.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Good advice brother Therious...I would now advise the same thing!

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Very true...couldn't agree more.