Black People : College gender gap widens: 57% are women

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Oct 22, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-10-19-male-college-cover_x.htm

2. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I want to highlight this particular passage in the article:

I remember debating with some black women who were celebrating/bragging that more black women are enrolled in college than black men, that these numbers were simply a reflection of a larger societal trend....my observation was discounted. That black women were becoming more prosperous than black men (earning more degrees and getting better jobs) has also been touted in news articles like the infamous Newsweek Magazine's, "From Schools to Jobs, Black Women Are Rising Faster Than Black Men". This article outright suggested that black women naturally had more ambition than black men, and that the black male had a problem. In response I again pointed out that this pattern (black women going to college in greater numbers and obtaining better jobs) was simply a reflection of a greater societal trend. Again my observation fell on deaf ears. However this article finally touches on the observation that I made years ago: That women of all races are enrolling in colleges in greater numbers and obtaining more degrees than men of all races (unfortunately it takes a white man to speak before people listen). I personally am glad that this fact has finally been admitted, because it means the black men can finally stopped being demonized and stereotyped (at least on this issue), and we can look at the root causes of this trend. Is the modern education system geared more towards girls than boys? Does modern industry favor women more than men? Let's discuss.......

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Is it that men aren't going to college or they aren't going to four-year colleges? What is the data on trade schools, for example?

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The latest stats calculated Associates, Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees.

5. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    For whites I think they still favor men... for blacks they favor women because of racism against black men.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think so as well, which is why I caution us about celebrating these trends.

7. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Okay... but a certificate or diploma from a trade school still requires study and work. This is an area of education the article isn't even considering because I guess society says that's for blue-collar fields:oops: .

But anyway... I'm pretty sure if you looked at a school like Lincoln Tech it would have a high percentage of male enrollment.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Maybe so; however, I'm pretty sure that Lincoln Tech issues degrees.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I remember that article and remember debating it with female family members. i was like you know i see a lot of black males when i drive past the colleges.

I think modern industry is easier for females. The male ego is strong in many men, that ego wont let you become a corporate robot. At least as they preceive. while women imo dont have a problem submitting and smiling. Im not not saying one way is right or wrong its just the dna the nature of the beast.Most guys have a born drive to do their own thing with out hearing no ones mouth, i wonder if this is linked to the steady rise in divorce as well?. Men can get bored easily, where imo women are naturally in persuit of stability.

Im curious to see the trends on ,entrepreneurs i thinlk the latter is on the rise for males.

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I think the reason the gap is widening, is because many women are not going for the cinderella, happily ever after story. Many women are finding themselves in a hard place, when the sole income is their's alone to bare. Therefore women are flocking to higher Education as a means of higher income.

Maybe some men aren't feeling the drastic need to empower their minds with Higher education, because some aren't in the homes watching the children starve, going without a warm coat for the winter, and/or stressing over meeting the rent/utilities due date.

However, this still doesn't explain the reasons why young males growing up in single homes are not taking advantage of this opportunity, being that they experience the hardship of a single parents income.

What is the overall statics of increase for Black men and women furthering their education? Has the rate
    increased for Blacks? But then again, isn't there a static for women outnumbering men?