Black People Politics : Colin Kaepernick Ends National Anthem Kneeling Protest

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Dozens of Americans joined the athlete in the movement fighting racism, discrimination, police brutality and economic inequality.

Colin Kaepernick ended his kneeling protest against police brutality and will stand during the national anthem next season, reports ESPN.

From ESPN:

Kaepernick no longer wants his method of protest to detract from the positive change he believes has been created, sources told ESPN. He also said the amount of national discussion on social inequality — as well as support from other athletes nationwide, including NFL and NBA players — affirmed the message he was trying to deliver.

Read more

https://newsone.com/3685031/san-fra...em-kneeling-protest-against-police-brutality/

Colin Kaepernick Ends National Anthem Kneeling Protest

Colin Kaepernick ended his kneeling protest against police brutality and will stand during the national anthem next season, reports ESPN. From ESPN: Kaepernick no longer wants his method of protest t
    newsone.com

2. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +998
    So what is the issue or question?

3. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +871
    Not to speak for Kaep, but this was probably an attempt to remake his image...given that he was leaving the niners, and knew teams didn't like controversy surrounding incoming players. Obviously, it did not work. Had he rebuilt his stats on the field, it would have played more in his favor. As it is, teams (claim) to see an unproductive QB, who wants attention. At least, that's the excuse for not signing him. It will be interesting, given today's atmosphere surrounding that controversy, to see if he'll be picked up later in the season.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    Baller, you don't believe Kap was being authentic when he kneeled? You think it was all fake?

My question would be, if someone believes so strongly about an injustice that they would risk a lot by kneeling when the national anthem is played, why would you stop kneeling before the issue is resolved and the injustice is dismantled? Drawing attention to an issue and starting people talking about it deserves long-term commitment until the acts of injustice are eradicated. (My opinion.)

5. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +871
    NNQueen, that's not what I said. Yes, I think he was sincere in his protest. I also believe he realized that his career was going to suffer...and wanted to straighten the ship, if you will. When he began the protest, I don't think he thought it was going to effect his career in any negative way; the NFL doesn't have any rules around standing for the anthem. There was no reason for them to get upset because of what he did. However, when it became negative, in the press, he had to think about what that was going to do to his livelihood...especially, after SF.

6. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +998
    You really think that symbolic gestures such as this will free us, or eradicate injustice? Yup, we are collectively brain dead!!!

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    "Brain dead", do you include yourself in that collection of people? I am offended by that. You can disagree, but the insult isn't necessary and won't get us any closer to whatever your perspective is on being "free" or what it takes to eradicate injustice. In MY opinion, symbolic gestures can play a role especially when they lead to direct action. The solution doesn't have to be a "this or that". Why can't we expand the narrative to look at a number of different ways we can reach the same destination and when applied, the end result brings about the change we want?

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    I understand now. Thank you for the clarification, Baller.

Yes, every iconic individual in our civil rights history had to consider the great sacrifice they would make if they fought against injustices. Thankfully, they put justice first. It's not an easy decision to make and I think you're right, Kaep probably didn't think it through, considering all of the possibilities of people's reactions to a kneel. I respect those that push back. I remember Muhammad Ali going to prison because he refused to fight in Vietnam and the young Black athletes at the 1968 Olympics raising fists in the air. All of these incidences, including Kaep, have people talking, debating, resisting, praising, joining. But honestly, I think the battle needs to be taken to the local stores, the consumers markets by not spending money buying things we don't need to live. When the corporations and business owners start feeling the pinch and their wallets get thinner, I think the real conversations and confrontations will take place.

9. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +998
    Nope, I am not brain dead! I should have said many of us are. I did not name any particular individual but if the shoe fits, wear it!!! The bottom line in my mind is there are those among us who are emotionally attached to our oppressors and the American way of death!!!

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,136
    My apologies, I thought that was a personal attack. I don't disagree about there being some among us who are the way you described and there are some who don't believe they are but in reality, are. Are you familiar with the political commentator, Paris Dennard? He supports Trump and to listen to him debate about things Trump does triggers my gag reflex. Some people, Black included, just don't see things the way most of us here do when it comes to justice and injustice or even solutions to injustice. For me, anything a person does to protest against injustice--large or small--shouldn't be judged as useless because in the end, it will be the culmination of our efforts that will make the difference.