Health and Wellness : Coffee's Mysterious Benefits Mount

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    Coffee's Mysterious Benefits Mount

Greetings Family...Peace In,

Coffee is one of my favorite drinks and has been for quite some time now, and I have shared this information with many people. Although this is not the first favorable report on the health benefits of drinking 3 to 4 cups of coffee a day, it is certainly one worth reading and applying:

Remy Melina
    Staff Writer
    LiveScience.com Remy Melina
    staff Writer
    livescience.com – Tue Jun 22, 5:45 pm ET

From lowered cancer risks to a sharper memory, more studies are showing that coffee is good for you - but why? Regular coffee drinkers have a 39 percent decreased risk of head and neck cancer, according to a new study published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. Those who drank an estimated four or more cups a day had significantly fewer cancers of the mouth and throat than non coffee drinkers, the study found.

"Coffee contains more than a thousand chemicals, some of which have antioxidant and antimutagenic activities," Mia Hashibe, assistant professor of medicine at the University of Utah and the study's lead researcher, told Life's Little Mysteries. "Further research is necessary to identify which ingredients in coffee are responsible for the results we observed in our study."

Your brain on coffee

Coffee may be good for the brain, too. A study earlier this year by neuroscientists at the University of Lisbon showed that drinking coffee can help to prevent the neural degeneration associated with brain disorders and aging. The scientists found that drinking up to four cups of coffee a day over a long period of time actually prevented the deterioration of memory.

Read more here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/coffeesmysteriousbenefitsmount

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Thank you for sharing this information. In a time where it is absolutely crucial that we assemble ourselves healthwise, every bit of information helps. Many foods which are potentially natural and have health benefits are often undermined by genetic engineering, chemical sabotage, and drowning in the 'white demons' of dairy and sugar. I look forward to learning more. Incidentally, here is a documentary on just this topic; it may stress the economic aspect of it, but it's still helpful to know a core continental source of where this drink stems, and may, even inadvertently, drop some health gems about it...we shall see:

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/black-gold/-1uOHVH2QHK4bIKNwyqCIw .

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
  4. Conscious Plat

Conscious Plat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    I don't drink coffee but if this report is accurate then perhaps It's worth drinking a cup or two on a daily basis. However, it seems that reports often contradict themselves. I always heard that the caffeine in coffee was something to steer away from. I will follow your link and read more. Thanks for sharing a lil bit of health info in this thread. I will also include a link which opposes excessive coffee drinking.

http://www.naturalnews.com/012352_caffeine_coffee.html

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I'm not a coffee drinker always thought it had too much caffeine , didn't wanna become
    addictive.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

And thank you for the open mind on this topic, and for the links you provided, they are indeed helpful...Peace In my sister friend, Blaklioness.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Good for you brother $$RICH$$, you are safe @home:)

8. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I drink so much coffee, I should be able to cure cancer and my memory should be able to cut concrete.

The only thing I DON'T LIKE about coffee is the nasty head ace I get if I DON'T DRINK it. That's an addiction.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankfoa and Real Truth!

Queen Prophetess Conscious Plat,

Thanks you for dropping by and leaving your favorable comments. On contradictary links opposing excessive coffee drinking, here is some interesting insight...keep in mind Queen, there is a 5 year difference in time between the conflicting articles; the link in my post is current to the minute(June 22, 2010), whereas the link you submitted is 5 years older(2005). Here is some positive information from the link you submitted, which nevertheless points to the newer findings:

The hidden dangers of caffeine: How coffee causes exhaustion, fatigue and addiction
    Tuesday, October 11, 2005 by: Dani Veracity, citizen journalist

Caffeine is undeniably an effective central nervous system stimulant. It stimulates the brain, increases the secretion of adrenaline (epinephrine), and boosts heart rate. Although relatively safe, long-term use in excess of 250 to 300 mg daily may cause numerous health problems. Caffeine has been known to raise blood-cholesterol levels, deplete B vitamins, irritate the stomach and bladder, exhaust the adrenals, and possibly lead to breast and prostate problems.

Off The Shelf Natural Health How To Use Herbs And Nutrients To Stay Well By Mark Mayell, page 112
    http://www.naturalnews.com/012352_caffeine_coffee.html

Here is information from the same source(NaturalNews) that sets out positive information, three years later(2008), in line with my initial post, and so, we do have a conflict, but from within the same source; also, NaturalNews.com appears to be pushing its products, as opposed to scientific values.

Articles Related to This Article:
    The Positive and Negative Impact of Caffeine on Women's Health
    • Child-centered marketing causing kids to carry unhealthy food habits into adulthood
    • Sodas and energy drinks can supply a surprising caffeine jolt (press release

The Positive and Negative Impact of Caffeine on Women's Health
    Tuesday
    , December 09, 2008 by: Andréanne Hamel, citizen journalist
    See all articles by this author
    Email this author

Because caffeine, in one ingestible form or another, plays such significant social, economic and cultural roles in just about every nation around the world, scientists and researchers have conducted many studies pertaining to health issues, particularly in women because it is women who tend to be more sensitive to it than men and because it takes women longer to detoxify caffeine out of their systems.

Is There Nothing Good to Say About Caffeine?

Of course there is something good to be said about caffeine:

A new research which was conducted in France and Portugal and then published in the "Neurology", the journal of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) revealed amazing results. Over a span of four years, 4,197 aging (65 and older) dementia-free women were tracked in reference to their caffeine consumption and their cognitive capabilities. The conclusion was that, being a psycho-stimulant, caffeine may help safeguard the thinking processes and memory skills in elderly women who are not yet suffering the effects of dementia as it reduces their cognitive decline.

This study also noted that the benefits seem to progressively intensify with age. The intake of caffeine by 65 year old women shows a thirty percent reduction in cognitive decline while the intake of caffeine by 80 year old women shows a seventy percent reduction in cognitive decline.

• A recent study conducted by Dr. Walter Willett and colleagues from the Harvard School of Public Health found that although caffeine unfavorably affects fibrocystic breasts, it has no relevance to any kinds of malignant breast cancers.
    • A study at Harvard University reveals that women who regularly take in caffeine decrease their chance of contracting diabetes by thirty percent.
    • Other studies show the following benefits: reduction of the development of Parkinson's disease; fewer cases of colon cancer, cirrhosis and gallstones; helps with asthma, stops headaches, elevates moods and inhibits the development of dental cavities.

So, enjoy your coffee, tea or soda — just remember moderation! And here's a tip: using an espresso machine pump - driven to brew the coffee you drink - will reduce your overall caffeine consumption compared to drip coffee.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025025_caffeine_women_coffee.html

In conclusion, I hope this clears up the confusion...You can begin drinking some coffee now Queen Conscious:)

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

lol@ Full Speed...drink so much...for me, when that occurs, one cup removes the headache, which is a result of not drinking any that morning(Have you seen the McDonald's coffee commerical - "I haven't had my coffee yet," ROFL...Peace In my friend:)