Code of the Streets

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Coach707, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I am reading, "The Autobiography of Malcom X" which is a very interesting and thought provoking book. Anyway, one of the thoughts in the book that struck a nerve was their "code of the streets" in those days which in my opinion is similar to what we have today. Back in the 40s and 50s they called criminals "rackets."

The quote from the book reads, "It is the law of the rackets that every criminal expects to get caught. He tries to slave off the inevitable for as long as he can."

This got me thinking. Keep in mind that this was in a time where blacks could not make living because of discrimination and racial hatred. As I read this book I begin to understand how and why blacks HAD to "hustle" in those days, but with all the opportunities these days, is it a need or a choice? Whatever the reason, do you think that criminals today expect to get caught? Is that apart of the street code of ethics?

I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to the "thug" life, but as many of you know rappers are advertising "STOP SNITCHING" all over the radio and television. Im assuming that this the code of the streets. Do the two correlate?

Thoughts comments?

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    code of the streets...

no criminal ever thinks that he or she will get caught[i call it the arrogance of the criminal mind]but bein slick ain't the same as bein smart,as for the t shirts with[stop snitchin]i think that the rappers are just trying to promote a clothing line.

3. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    No there are people who live by that "Stop Snitchin" crap. Of course they promote themselves through that, but it is in our communities.

4. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    code of the streets...

in simple terms[stop snithin]means mind your buisiness,and it can get serious if you don't.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    their are things in life you mess with and some you don't touch
    knowing when to speak up , to tell and when to hush up
    someting it can be a life or death thing......Using your judgement.

6. sxyblkndn_in_kc

sxyblkndn_in_kc Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    it is attitudes like stop snitching that keep murders from being solved...........

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The black criminals doesn't think about getting caught because his can't see that far into the future. For them they is only one result; Death. You will either die as a victum of a crime or die from the consequences of your actions. Either way early death is inevitable. The birth of a thug starts with the frustrations of poverty and the perception of being powerless the change your their circumstances. This causes a young black man to weigh his options. Many times the fastest way to success is to employee a highly desired marketable skill. For the young man who can't play ball, can't sing, can't rap, can't act or simply can't entertain in his psyche there are very few options left. This is when the young man devises a plan to hustle for a living. Whether it be pimping, pushing, robbing, conning or a combination of crimes, this will be the only long term planning they do. After they have acheived their plan and are successfully running their hustle the only planning is that of short term goals. Eliminating competition, expansion of territory, expansion of criminal activity, avoiding getting caught, amassing money, etc are short terms goals that the thug mind thinks of as far as maintaining their criminal livelihood. Hustlers don't see retirement, health care, old age, residual income or investing. Most hustler have a "live for now" attitude. Also if they feel they can't escape the streets then they will rule them. This all stems back to identity crisis. If ones identifies themselves in a certain category with limited options then their expectations are limited in turn making their future limited. Therefore many urban youth feel their only lot in life if they desire success is to be a criminal or an entertainer.

Peace....