Code of the Streets

Coach707

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 30, 2006
I am reading, "The Autobiography of Malcom X" which is a very interesting and thought provoking book. Anyway, one of the thoughts in the book that struck a nerve was their "code of the streets" in those days which in my opinion is similar to what we have today. Back in the 40s and 50s they called criminals "rackets."

The quote from the book reads, "It is the law of the rackets that every criminal expects to get caught. He tries to slave off the inevitable for as long as he can."

This got me thinking. Keep in mind that this was in a time where blacks could not make living because of discrimination and racial hatred. As I read this book I begin to understand how and why blacks HAD to "hustle" in those days, but with all the opportunities these days, is it a need or a choice? Whatever the reason, do you think that criminals today expect to get caught? Is that apart of the street code of ethics?

I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to the "thug" life, but as many of you know rappers are advertising "STOP SNITCHING" all over the radio and television. Im assuming that this the code of the streets. Do the two correlate?

Thoughts comments?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back