Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Club Promoter Offers Discounts for Natural Black Hair Over Weaves and Perms

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
Weekend reports that an Atlanta club promoter

The anti-weave and relaxer sentiment does not end there. Over the years, Atlanta club promoter Joey Digital has expressed his utter disdain for the weave and love for natural hair on his blog: www.joeydigital.me. He even has an anti-weave section on his blog that provide links to natural hair blogs and products. Source
who, according to his blog, has "utter disdain" for weaves offered a $10 discount on party tickets to women with natural hair -- and his actions have elicited a backlash. It's no surprise that so many women resent being pitted against one another in what feels like a manufactured feud between those with perms and those without.
While the promoter may have had the best intentions (celebrating natural beauty, supporting women whose looks might not fit those embraced by mainstream -- and even black -- media, etc.), the way he went about it has been widely deemed a misfire. Not only does it lead to more division than uplift, but the promotion also seems nearly impossible to implement.
As Essence's Demetria Lucas points out, the threshold question of who qualifies as "natural" represents an entire debate in itself -- one that likely goes way beyond the expertise of a bouncer. She asks:
And how is natural determined anyway? No perm? Okay, what if, like many women, she's natural beneath her weave? What if she has braids? What if she's natural, but has a blowout or a fresh press? What if she pulls a Solange Knowles and adds coiled faux-hair that looks similar to the texture that grows unaltered from her scalp? Do those ladies get a hookup? Or, er, no?
Unless he has answers to all those questions (and a good argument about why any positive aspects of this promotion aren't outweighed by its divisiveness), we'd suggest that this club-promoting blogger stick to words instead of dollar signs when it comes to expressing his views on the very personal, historically fraught and still complicated questions related to black women and hair.

SOURCE: http://www.theroot.com/buzz/natural-hair-discount-divisive-and-confusing

peace

lol - it's kind of funny to me that they offer discounts to females with real hair, but not to woman who don't drink! Which one is healthier for the woman?

i understand marketing and what he's trying to do, but at the same time its just another stupid idea as with most other clubs.

females free before 11pm.............now you have a club full of women sipping on watered down drinks dancing with each other and by the time the guys are let in they are already soured about their chance at meeting anyone real......if that's what they came for!

I've met many woman who have confirmed this over and over...

peace

lol - it's kind of funny to me that they offer discounts to females with real hair, but not to woman who don't drink! Which one is healthier for the woman?

i understand marketing and what he's trying to do, but at the same time its just another stupid idea as with most other clubs.

females free before 11pm.............now you have a club full of women sipping on watered down drinks dancing with each other and by the time the guys are let in they are already soured about their chance at meeting anyone real......if that's what they came for!

I've met many woman who have confirmed this over and over...

Because not too many people come to the bar and don't drink...And if you offer women who DO drink it will get them sloppy drunk bringing in more men, who will also put add to the profit, to come get them some drunk a-- females.

Nobody comes to the bar to meet "real" people LOL....They come for some alcohol and butt....drunk butt.

Females confirm what?

Those women "confirming" like getting in free before 11 so they need to shut their face...And if the drinks are so "watered down" then they need to drink BEFORE they get to the club and save their self some money and/or come after 11 and have a guy buy them a drink and shut their face....The women are there for some butt too....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back