Black People : Closing the Racial Divide

NNQueen said:
Happy...one comment you made that I thought addressed one of my questions was that you don't think that a person has to give up their "blackness" while in an interracial relationship. I'm going to be fair and also apply that theory to a white person as well. The two public people that come immediately to my mind as an example of this are the former senator and now deposed Strom Thurmond and Thomas Jefferson. I don't know that much about Barkley other than his career as an athlete so I'll have to take your word that he's a strong advocate for the Black community while married to a white woman. Personally, I just can't figure out how to separate the two mindsets. Hopefuly by the end of this discussion I'll have figured it out.

Queenie :spinstar:

Okay, so is this kind of relationship an inferior/superior type relationship? Do you think that when Blacks are in such a relationship that they feel themselves inferior and to be in such a relationship means that they are less inferior?
I think that We know that there are some who think just like that. I don't know if that answers the question or not. It doesn't for me; because then one only have to say; so there is not really real love b/t Blacks and Whites?

I know that on both sides of the spectrum when you have Blacks who claim some affiliation with the Black community; that Blacks and Whites criticize these persons for being married or whatever to Whites. So, I guess that society also thinks that the two mindsets cannot be separated.

Maybe this is why many AA's in these types of relationships go crazy...maybe this is why so many of them lose their souls.

I think that race is an important issue. By no means should we pretend like racism is in the past. Just because we don't have chains and shackles on doesn't make us free. I don't think there will ever be a society where race doesn't play an important part when it comes to black people or white people. We need to realize that complaining about "whitey" and then walking around like ignorant fools isn't helping. It makes us look like hypocrits. We are just as bad if we constantly do things to make ourselves look like we're less than other races.

As far as relationships, I have to say that you have to choose whomever makes you happy. It's true that black people have suffered at the hands of white people and the history is there to back that up. Does that mean that all white people are racist? Does that mean that all white people have to take responsibility for their ancestors acts even though they might be sick to their stomachs to know that these things took place? There are and have been white people that have marched along side black people for equality. If so, don't some white people (that have suffered at the hands of black people) have a right to be racist? If a black person commits a crime against a white person, do all white people have the right to hate all black people? I believe that you can have a strong interracial marriage no matter what's stacked against you. I myself see all of the problems that we as black people have because of white people. I also see the problems that we put on ourselves. Being with someone that is not black wouldn't blind me in the least. She doesn't change me. A mate is not going to be able to relate to you on all levels, but as long as she respects where you are coming from, I think that's they key. Dating a black man or black woman doesn't mean they give a "you know what" about African American culture or the problems that we face as black people. All it means is that you have the same skin tone, and no respect to go along with it. There are too many black people preaching "black this and black that" and doing it while they are screwing their so called "brothas and sistas" left and right. Doing all that while wearing a Malcolm X shirt and an African medallion. If I have someone of a different race that is grounded and honestly and genuinely cares about me and respects my views on life without having to completely understand them first hand, what else is needed? Skin tone is not a factor unless you choose to make it the number one priority over honesty, loyalty and love.

kente417mojo said:
I think that race is an important issue. By no means should we pretend like racism is in the past. Just because we don't have chains and shackles on doesn't make us free. I don't think there will ever be a society where race doesn't play an important part when it comes to black people or white people. We need to realize that complaining about "whitey" and then walking around like ignorant fools isn't helping. It makes us look like hypocrits. We are just as bad if we constantly do things to make ourselves look like we're less than other races.

As far as relationships, I have to say that you have to choose whomever makes you happy. It's true that black people have suffered at the hands of white people and the history is there to back that up. Does that mean that all white people are racist? Does that mean that all white people have to take responsibility for their ancestors acts even though they might be sick to their stomachs to know that these things took place? There are and have been white people that have marched along side black people for equality. If so, don't some white people (that have suffered at the hands of black people) have a right to be racist? If a black person commits a crime against a white person, do all white people have the right to hate all black people? I believe that you can have a strong interracial marriage no matter what's stacked against you. I myself see all of the problems that we as black people have because of white people. I also see the problems that we put on ourselves. Being with someone that is not black wouldn't blind me in the least. She doesn't change me. A mate is not going to be able to relate to you on all levels, but as long as she respects where you are coming from, I think that's they key. Dating a black man or black woman doesn't mean they give a "you know what" about African American culture or the problems that we face as black people. All it means is that you have the same skin tone, and no respect to go along with it. There are too many black people preaching "black this and black that" and doing it while they are screwing their so called "brothas and sistas" left and right. Doing all that while wearing a Malcolm X shirt and an African medallion. If I have someone of a different race that is grounded and honestly and genuinely cares about me and respects my views on life without having to completely understand them first hand, what else is needed? Skin tone is not a factor unless you choose to make it the number one priority over honesty, loyalty and love.

Here we go again! Yet another example of a misguided individual posting naive comments advocating 'color-blindness', 'rainbow community', 'integration', et al. Look Kente, I am in no way attacking you personally, but you must understand that this color-blind attitude of yours is extremely dangerous for Black people, and has been so for a VERY long time. It is indicative of the way Black people have always been trusting and accepting of others, and why we are such a conquered people. Blacks as a group are waaaay too nice to those who don't look like, or have the same interests as them. This is how countless conquerors were able to have their way with Black Africans, and still do today. Yet still, individuals such as yourself (and countless others) refuse to learn from history. I mean, Blacks have been enslaved, raped, lynched, burnt, castrated, colonized, outraged and disrespected in every way imaginable. Yet you ask "Does that mean that all white people are racist?" I don't know, but I do know that they should not be trusted by us. Anybody or group who is willing to do all the above mentioned things to you, should not be trusted by you, EVER! If you don't understand your history, then you'll always repeat today, the mistakes which you made yesterday. As the saying goes; "Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me."

Just because I don't have the same views as you doesn't make me naive or misguided in any way. To state such a thing is a personal attack on me, so don't give me that line "I am in no way attacking you personally". You and others can sit here and hate every other race on the face of the Earth if you want to, but that's not going to change anything. Whites in the past have done their part to oppress us, but if you are using that as an excuse to hate every white person then that's ignorance. That's fine to hate white racist of the past and present, but to put every white person into one basket and label them is no better than what white people have been doing to us. That makes you no better than those racist. I'm not saying anything about a rainbow community, so don't insult me with you're dry humor. Just because I choose to look at things from all sides instead of just the "black side" doesn't make me misguided or naive. Where does all your hate for the white race get you? Nowhere. Furthermore I don't think you personally know anyone that has enslaved, raped, lynched, burnt, castrated or colonized any black people so don't act like you have the right to look down on anyone because of their color. You talk about repeating the same mistakes. Well, it was terrible the way whites were racist towards us, and in turn you're going to roll around in the mudd with them and stoop to their level by being a racist towards people you don't even know personally. No one has to interact with other races if they don't want to. That's fine if you only want to know one part of the human race. Ignorance is your right. But lets not act like you're above everyone else because you choose to. It's funny the way some black people act as if we were the only ones mistreated throughout history. Believe me, I know what's going on in the world. Choosing to know other races is no weakness. Sitting in your corner hating everyone because they are not the same color as you is. And since when are we suppose to look down on people because they don't look like us or have he same interest as us? We are suppose to distance ourselves from ones who aren't carbon copies of ourselves. Sounds ignorant to me. Talk about not wanting to grow as a individual.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back