Omowale Jabali : Close, But Not Yet

philomath said:
i was talking about finding a tenessee newspaper to see if there was more behind the harold ford situation

i am new to this forum so i haven't read every single thread

my main question is how many blacks are there in those cities you mentioned? i understand that california has more hispanics than anything else, is that correct?

it starts small. my family is indirectly involved in politics since they and several other members of their group financially donate to the political campaigns of several politicians

again, how many of the black people you are talking about can vote?

my point to you is that if whites are a minority in cities such as los angeles but have more registered voters or a higher voter turnout then what is your argument?

my entire argument is based on a knowledge that in certain areas black and minority voters have lower VOTER TURNOUT...

"again, how many of the black people you are talking about can vote?"

significant numbers to make a difference who either remain unregistered or who have lost faith in the system who opt out.

personally, I can not blame those who don't vote, that have the right, but at the same time if there is a mechanism that they don't utilize they don't have the right to criticize those who do exercise that right or responsibility.

the lack of political representation in cities such as los angeles is not only due to ma lack of voter participation among Blacks but also the failure or inability of elected Black officials to unite in coalition building with others and/or ireesponsible decisions when they do, such as in supporting james hahn who turened on the black community and later tried to come back for support while basing his second mayoral campaign on the conservative democratic vote in the valley.

for year, his father kenneth hahn held down a supervisorial position largely due to the Black vote. It is this same Black vote which got james hahn elected and when he turned on the black community that vote shifted to antonio villaraigosa.

If Maxine Waters or Diane Watson did not work in the interest of the Black community and voters shifted to other candidates their latino or white constituents would also shift along with the black vote.

Rick Perry, Arnold and George Bush would not be in the positions they are in today without the Black vote. And they know it....

Philomath,

welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

O, Philomath is making a good point. The number of registered voters is important to understanding the complete picture of the voting behavior by our people. If they aren't registered to vote, then they aren't counted anyway. At least, they aren't counted in the election process.

On another note, you said that...
California has not had a viable Black candidate for Governor or the Senate largely because BLACK FOLKS DON'T VOTE.

Are you saying that viable Black candidates for Governor don't exist because the candidate knows that Black folks won't vote for them?

On A Side Note: In my humble opinion, I believe that we should prepare one or more Black candidates to run for every office in the city, state and federal government in every city and state.

What do ya'll think?

:D

ok thansk for clarifying because where i am from it's different. now that i know you are talking about l.a. politics i can see where you are coming from, but your origiinal post mentions ford, from tennessee

in regards to ford, he was painted as being liberal, ie prochoice, anti guns, etc. in contrast to his opponent although he actually believes the opposite.

i saw this on another site http://www.news2wkrn.com/vv/2006/10/post_27.html

Ford is not a typical black politician. He is conservative. He doesn't get in a tizzy about the Confederate flag. He is a very aracial politician. His family, on the other hand, is not.

They are corrupt and they play the race card. Whites do not like either and this could serve to increase Junior's image as just another black politician. Jake Ford, Harold's brother, is exploiting race in order to defeat his opponent. If Harold Ford, Jr. doesn't repudiate this politics, he will find himself in trouble.

omowalejabali said:
my point to you is that if whites are a minority in cities such as los angeles but have more registered voters or a higher voter turnout then what is your argument?

my entire argument is based on a knowledge that in certain areas black and minority voters have lower VOTER TURNOUT...

"again, how many of the black people you are talking about can vote?"

significant numbers to make a difference who either remain unregistered or who have lost faith in the system who opt out.

personally, I can not blame those who don't vote, that have the right, but at the same time if there is a mechanism that they don't utilize they don't have the right to criticize those who do exercise that right or responsibility.

the lack of political representation in cities such as los angeles is not only due to ma lack of voter participation among Blacks but also the failure or inability of elected Black officials to unite in coalition building with others and/or ireesponsible decisions when they do, such as in supporting james hahn who turened on the black community and later tried to come back for support while basing his second mayoral campaign on the conservative democratic vote in the valley.

for year, his father kenneth hahn held down a supervisorial position largely due to the Black vote. It is this same Black vote which got james hahn elected and when he turned on the black community that vote shifted to antonio villaraigosa.

If Maxine Waters or Diane Watson did not work in the interest of the Black community and voters shifted to other candidates their latino or white constituents would also shift along with the black vote.

Rick Perry, Arnold and George Bush would not be in the positions they are in today without the Black vote. And they know it....

Very good point. I believe that any Black candidate should be out and about building "coalitions"...as O puts it :D...and getting their name out there. Be seen making a difference. Don't just up and run for office.

UM

PEOPLE IT'S CALLED DE(MOC)RACY

AND I DON'T CARE THE BANK STILL OWNS YOUR AXX TRUST ME ON THAT

THAT'S WHAT BEING AN AMERICAN IS TRULY ABOUT

I'M DON'T YOU SEE THE FORECLOSURE MARKET

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back