Omowale Jabali : Close, But Not Yet

omowalejabali said:
I was not implying anything and spoke specifically, more than once, concerning Harold Ford, Jr. You are overgeneralizing while I spoke of a specific situation.

"maybe in your neck of the woods but many people have that thinking where i am from."

And where exactly is that? Most people know I used to live in Cali and am now in Texas. Dallas (proper) to be specific. Dallas is now more of a Democratic stronghold than republican. It has a very rich African heritage. Yet, neither in Texas or Cali are there any Black senators, nor any viable Black candidates for statewide elections except a few assembly races.

These are two of the most populous states in the country with large numbers of African American and Latino voters. I suggest that they are fair enough barometers to indicate the readiness of american voters on a national scale.

in your neck of the woods is a colloquial expression used to mean where you live or where you are from ie that's the way things may be where you are or are from-- the user does not have to know where the other person is from

senators are chosen one way and representatives are chosen by district. if you can prove that there is a significant black presence that was able to vote, i will agree with you

where i live has a heavy black and hispanic immigrant population, so many of the people in the neighborhood can't vote, as they are not naturalized and their kids are still too young

how many people are not allowed to vote due to conviction in criminal court?

etc. etc.

it is impossible to say these races were the result of blacks not voting without solid numbers. i have several neighbors who make sure that they vote and any elderly or immobile people in the neighborhood vote as well

i understand where you are coming from in regards to voter apathy, but without solid numbers i cannot blame AAs

philomath said:
in your neck of the woods is a colloquial expression used to mean where you live or where you are from ie that's the way things may be where you are or are from-- the user does not have to know where the other person is from

senators are chosen one way and representatives are chosen by district. if you can prove that there is a significant black presence that was able to vote, i will agree with you

where i live has a heavy black and hispanic immigrant population, so many of the people in the neighborhood can't vote, as they are not naturalized and their kids are still too young

how many people are not allowed to vote due to conviction in criminal court?

etc. etc.

it is impossible to say these races were the result of blacks not voting without solid numbers. i have several neighbors who make sure that they vote and any elderly or immobile people in the neighborhood vote as well

i understand where you are coming from in regards to voter apathy, but without solid numbers i cannot blame AAs

All you are doing is giving me a myriad of excuses why Black and Latinos don't or can't vote. The truth is even among those who can they usually have low voter turn-out.

Even on this site we have those arguing against the practice of voting. We continue to make arguments why we can't participate in the system then complain about white supremacy, many times doing nothing to be pro-active, just more complaining.

In the Harold Ford contest I did not blame anyone. I stated it would be interesting to see what the numeber were and I still maintian this position in many races which were decided by narrow margins.

"how many people are not allowed to vote due to conviction in criminal court?"

I guarantee it is a much smaller number than those who are registered voters but choose not to do so.

I am a black male that grew up in a major, metrololitan area (los angeles) and even with the gang problem MOST black men I know are NOT "felons".

This to me is another cop-out and overgeneralized argument.

i am not overgeneralizing just trying to present another argument. neither was I trying to imply that all black men are felons, but i saw a program a couple years ago where the mentioned if one robert brown was convicted, corrupt polling precincts would automatically throw out all robert brown votes instead of only the felons

using my neighborhood as an example, the whites are the minority of actual residents yet make up a majority of the voters due to many of the others in the community being immigrants

maybe there is a back story to this? is there anyone on this site that is from that area or maybe you need to find a newspaper and see what they say

philomath said:
i am not overgeneralizing just trying to present another argument. neither was I trying to imply that all black men are felons, but i saw a program a couple years ago where the mentioned if one robert brown was convicted, corrupt polling precincts would automatically throw out all robert brown votes instead of only the felons

using my neighborhood as an example, the whites are the minority of actual residents yet make up a majority of the voters due to many of the others in the community being immigrants

maybe there is a back story to this? is there anyone on this site that is from that area or maybe you need to find a newspaper and see what they say

Wow....you have just proven that you have not READ my posts except for a few statements.

MOST people here KNOW that I AM from Los Angeles...lol..!

I also KNOW that California has not had a viable Black candidate for Governor or the Senate largely because BLACK FOLKS DON'T VOTE.

Furthermore, I don't need to find a newspaper...I SUBSCRIBE to the Los Angeles SENTINEL (in fact I need to renew).

I mentioned Cali in the first place becuase it has had Black mayors of two of the countries largest, most populous cities...Los Angeles and San Francisco....and elected Black officials from other population centers such as Pasadena, Compton, San Diego and Oakland.

Blacks have not CONSOLIDATED political gains amidst demographic changes and declining voter participation. Low voter turnout generally is the situation in California. I am willing to bet this explains why Arnold got re-elected by such a large margin, also factoring "Phil Angiledes"??

How sorry can Cali get...??

omowalejabali said:
Wow....you have just proven that you have not READ my posts except for a few statements.

MOST people here KNOW that I AM from Los Angeles...lol..!

I also KNOW that California has not had a viable Black candidate for Governor or the Senate largely because BLACK FOLKS DON'T VOTE.

Furthermore, I don't need to find a newspaper...I SUBSCRIBE to the Los Angeles SENTINEL (in fact I need to renew).

I mentioned Cali in the first place becuase it has had Black mayors of two of the countries largest, most populous cities...Los Angeles and San Francisco....and elected Black officials from other population centers such as Pasadena, Compton, San Diego and Oakland.

Blacks have not CONSOLIDATED political gains amidst demographic changes and declining voter participation. Low voter turnout generally is the situation in California. I am willing to bet this explains why Arnold got re-elected by such a large margin, also factoring "Phil Angiledes"??

How sorry can Cali get...??

i was talking about finding a tenessee newspaper to see if there was more behind the harold ford situation

i am new to this forum so i haven't read every single thread

my main question is how many blacks are there in those cities you mentioned? i understand that california has more hispanics than anything else, is that correct?

it starts small. my family is indirectly involved in politics since they and several other members of their group financially donate to the political campaigns of several politicians

again, how many of the black people you are talking about can vote?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back