CLIFFORD BROWN *LEGENDARY JAZZ TRUMPETER

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by Isaiah, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Here's a man who didn't take up his instrument until he was 15, and yet died a jazz legend at the tender age of 26 in an automobile accident... His playing on any number of songs is indisputable brilliant, like that of a potential genius who died far too young...

What I remember upon hearing him for the very first time(Gertrude's' Bounce)was myself asking, "who the hell is this guy???!" That was my first response to John Coltrane's music, as well...

I dig a few trumpeters, like Diz, Donald Byrd, Eric Dolphy, Roy Eldridge, but this young man makes me wonder if he would not have emerged as much a giant as any of them had he survived that car crash... he has been dead now for almost 50 years, and yet when one hears his sound, it is still as fresh as anything made today... That is how far ahead of the pack he was. The following webpage has pix and sound files of his work, as well as a book recently written on his life... Give ear to the sound files because they're a small treat...

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/clifford/

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I see you’re on it again brother Isaiah…Clifford made his mark in time. The brother was phenomenal. He is in there with the other greats, no doubt about it…

By the way, I think you blinked …lol…when you were putting together your list of trumpet players, for you got Eric Dolphy listed (?????)… he played alto sax, but was usually accompanied by another great phenomenon and Jazz underdog, trumpeter Booker Little.

Peace

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Ay yi yi!LOL! Yep, you right Big Sun, major slip of the fanga tips, huh???(Smile!)

Actually, I was attempting to steer clear of mentioning any of them, and when I did, I started wanting to mention a few to complete the thought, and...can't have your brain in two places at one time...(smile!) That's called lack of concentration on my part... Thanks for the correction...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42