Science and Technology : Cleaner Starts for Windoze

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Apr 15, 2009.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Feb 1, 2005
    StreetNationEarth: Seattle
    +745 / -0
    (phone minutes/dollars are running short so thought i'd <shudder> toss that mess back on so as to use some sort of voice/video/phone app. while prepping, ran across some stuff that might be of use. i found the following stuff on the make xp run faster page at Ask Bob Rankin. lots of other stuff there too.)

Startup Applications List
    If you're frustrated with the time it takes your PC to boot and then it seems to be running slowly you probably have too many programs running at startup - and have come to the right place to identify them. This is the original startup programs (as opposed to processes/tasks) list - one of the most comprehensive and most accurate!

For further information on how to identify and disable startup programs please visit the Startup Content[1] page. For further information on random startup entries please visit the Startup Info[2] page. For the next few months and foreseeable future I'll be verifying many of the Y, U, N & ? entries via virtual machines. If you can verify/identify those entries with a "?" status (especially hardware specific - such as laptops and motherboards) then please E-mail me (address at bottom of the page) or use the new Message Board.

Last update :- 31st March, 2009

Startup Content[1]

Last database update :- 31st March, 2009
    18311 items listed

The intention of these pages is to provide a central resource for PC users and Tech Support staff alike who are concerned about the poor performance of their PCs due to the number of programs that run at system start-up. The following information is provided:

* Background to the problem
    * Techniques that can be used to identify and disable start-up programs from running
    * A comprehensive list of programs that are loaded at start-up
    * A request for additional programs or updated information

DISCLAIMER: It is assumed that users are familiar with the operating system they are using and comfortable with making the suggested changes. I will not be held responsible if changes you make cause a system failure.

Paul Collins
    (aka Pacman)
    Pacman's Portal

Start-Up Info[2]

Last update :- 2nd March, 2009
    18311 items listed.

When most software is installed these days it will often add to the number of programs that run at startup - often including another icon on the System Tray. Many of these are not required for every day PC use and can safely be disabled - examples such as updaters, photo uploaders and printer monitors. Each of these uses part of the system's memory and resources and can lead to a reduction in performance when playing games or editing videos for example.

This page introduces a searchable, comprehensive list of the programs you may find that run when you switch on your PC as typically identified by Windows Defender, MSConfig or the registry "Run" keys - and whether you need them.
  2. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nov 30, 2009
    If you want zippy Doze, all you have to do is
    tweak the h_ll out of it,
    run a version that's at least TEN years old and do so on the latest bloat box,
    and never actually do anything with it.