Black Women : Clairvoyance, do you believe?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Thandiwe, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    do you ubelive in premonitions, clairvoyance, psychic abilities.

many of our elder belive in these things, claim to have these powers?

i have at least three relatives who are said to have had this abilities.

i too used to have dreams, usually bad dreams, about people i know. a few days later i would have a sense of deja vu because the events that happened would be similar to my dreams.

if you have these "powers" how do you determine which are just dreams and which are visions?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I do believe that some folk have the ability to "see" things. I'm not one of them. I rarely even dream, let alone "dream dreams." I'm also kinda scared to take part in such carrying ons, readings, fortunes, etc. The way I figure it, I've got enough to deal with handling the stuff that has made itself present and known in my life ... let alone trying to reach out to the stuff that God has not allowed itself to be manifest to me. Nope. I'm satisfied waiting till God brings it into my view.

There is bible scripture that upholds the fact that there are such people amongst us. If no mistake, in the old testament, God forbade everyone to have any dealings with them (for the purpose of "seeing" their future), yet there was one who was in battle, and needed to know what the end was gonna be ... or something like this ... anyway, he did what God had said not to do, and went to one of these folk ... the news was bad ... he and all his sons would be losing their life in battle. Of course this is not word-for-word ...

There may be scripture that granted permission again, allowing these folk to be sought out ... I don't know ... but for me ... I got enough to deal with looking at the issues that are smack dab in the middle of the table ...

Thandiwe ... I would think, with my very limited ability to do so, that if one was blessed to have such "powers" they would also be blessed to discern that power. Again, I don't know ... just think'n ... :)

Great Topic

:heart:

Destee

3. herlove

herlove Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    you are strengthen in all gifts given and yes he does give the spirit of discernment ....... try the spirit by the spirt ..... this advice is in reference to God given gifts ..... not fortune telling and psychics. we all are clairvoyant in the area of human behavior, we able to judge by other expression or mannerisms when something is wrong or even if they're happy it basically just being attentive to the enviroment around you and all that inhabits it..... the stronger your awarness is the more in touch you are with gift given

4. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    Destee, i've read that we all dream every night. however, you must awaken during the dream in order to remember it. the why many of us can remember when we have bad dreams, we wake up panicked.

in religion, don't they call people prophets or is this different?

Herlove, are you saying they we actually use these "gifts" everyday without awareness. and yes, we have all been able to sense trouble, know when somethings aren't right, particularly we our children.

i've also heard it said they we all hve the gifts, but children are even more open. we, as adults, dismiss these things and may think of them as coincidences.

Herlove, then do you always been in the power of (mann, i can think of the term right now) but the ability to move things with one's mind.

and i also believe that these things, gifts are not to be used for evil or bad purposes.

5. Kitana

Kitana Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Thandiwe

I think in the majority we are conditioned not to believe in psychic ability, clairvoyancy, esp or lucid dreaming....many people consider this to be not real, a hoax or a con job.....

but if we look back over nearly all ancient civilisations, nearly all of them possessed some type of magic, or special ability and practiced it on a daily basis....

personally I do believe that certain people have this ability...I also believe, as you said earlier, that we can dream and then a few days later get a strong sense of dejavu, when something happens in our life to mirror our dreams....we dream during periods of R.E.M or active sleep, which can occur approx. every 90 to 100 minutes, if you happen to be woken or wake during this period, then you will remember your dream...

I have also read somewhere that a lot of people may possess psychic ability but do not know how to channel it properly to make it work....but these same people usually have feelings about things prior to their happening....

I guess like so many things if you want to open your mind to the possibility that they exist, then you will believe that they can and do happen....

as for your comment about children being more open, maybe that's as you say, children accept things without question, adults do not and therefore are more dismissive of an idea...

K

6. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    you're just full of information, aren't you Kitana? I like that!!!

7. Kitana

Kitana Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Thandiwe

I just have a deep abiding passion to read anything and everything and I love to learn and try to understand things I have limited or no knowledge of....;)

K

8. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    and open to the possibilities, i see. ;) :)

9. wildflower7

wildflower7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

motherhood
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay, I'm only coming with my own opinion, beliefs, and experiences.... We are spiritual beings, that's how God created us, that's how He communes with us. In Eden, Adam and Eve used 100% of their brain power so they had full capacity of all God designed for us. After sin and over time, man only uses about 5% of brain capacity, so we don't user the full capacity God designed for us. That said, we don't have the full use of our spiritual connections but God still communes with us that way.

I do believe that people have dreams and premonitions. I've had dreams about death that have come true. I know of people who dream of births and deaths and pregnancies, etc. As far as psychics and people that talk to the dead, I don't believe that's a God given gift (i know i'm gonna get flack for that). In the Bible it says that the "dead know nothing," so how can someone talk to a person that has died? I'm sure that demons can effectively impersonate folk that used to be alive.

The Bible reference Destee referred to is in 1Samuel 28. In 1 Samuel 15 and 16, God rejected Saul because Saul rejected Him. In chapter 28, Saul sought God's guidance about a battle and when God didn't answer, he sought a soothesayer (psychic) which God was against. I don't think that has changed. I don't think He wants us to look to palm readers and psychics and channelers, astrologers, numerologists, etc. Psychics and the like that call themselves Christians or following God mystify me.

Real prophets receive visions, dreams, and guidance from God. Their messages can be tested by prayer and the Bible for authenticity.

That's my take on the question you put out there. -7:spinstar:

10. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    wildflower, i can respect your opinion. that's all i'm asking here. :)

however, do you believe that our ancestors communicate with us. afterall, life isn't supposed to end after death. if you believe there is a heaven then they would still be alive, correct.

here's an example: my grandmother died some years ago. i was bother because i didn't get a chance to say goodbye to her. i was also the only grandchild to not have married and/or have children. shortly after her death, she came to me. i awoken from my sleep when i felt a presence in the room. i felt the weight of another on my bed, though i was laying alone. she told me, everything would be okay. she didn't actually speak as we do, out loud, but i felt what she was saying.

here's another example. my mom lives in a very old building. when we first moved in the building i would get flashes of a presence. i'd feel like someone was there. at firt i thought it was just me. but then jokingly i brought it up one day in a conversation. my sister, too, felt it. we never saw a person or anything, but i would be like seeing someone go past you from the corner of your eyes.

i don't know all the expertise on the subject but our ancestors were believed to rely and count on their deceased relatives for guidance.