Black Entertainment : City of God

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Zulile, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Watch Here

This movie is outstanding.

"City of God," somewhat similar to "Gangs of New York," offers the entertainment of dehumanization and senseless, cheap killing. Coming from Brazil, a country more blatantly racist than the U.S., with the largest population of African descendents outside of Africa, "City of God" contains this animal-like behavior within the slums where the majority of people, if they lived in the United States, would be categorized as Black. It hints that there are racial divisions: a few of the lighter-skinned poor folks call darker ones "*******" and there is a true sense that City of God is a Brazilian version of a South African bantustand. But, except for these instances, Meirelles deals less with his country's paranoid obsession with race, color and classification and more with Black ghetto pathology and self-destruction as a fascinating yarn.

The villain, L'il Ze (Leandro Firmino da Hora), is a very Black, "ugly" man with a broad nose and full lips. Our hero, Rocket, is also very Black with African features and, like L'il Ze, has not had much success with the opposite sex. This failure in the mack-daddy department is a running joke throughout the film and allows the audience to feel both sympathy and pity for Rocket. He chooses to hang with a crowd where he is the only Black person. He loves a White girl who gives him no rhythm but falls for a lighter-skinned Black man who dyes his curly hair blonde. As always here, (and as the long-time hype has gone in Brazil), the way out is to get as White as you can, get with some White folks—because, after all, they have all the houses, wealth and education—and get the hell away from all these shooting, senseless Negroes

2. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Not for the feint of heart - it is a painful movie.

In "City of God", desperation drives children to acts of outrageous violence, crime appears to be the only option in the moral and economic wasteland of the Brazilian favelas.

about the writer:
    Between 1986 and 1996, writer Paolo Lins researched the drug trade within the ironically named Cidade De Dues (City Of God), a 60s housing project where he grew up. The novel, and the fact it was based in, was potent raw material for a film. Screenwriter Bráulio Mantovani, director Fernando Meirelles and co-director Katia Lund have done a remarkable job of bringing this marginalised history and culture of violence to the screen. Meirelles talks of "a movie which was true to the book: filmed from the inside of the favela out."

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i do declair .....it do remind me of Gangs of New York too ....

4. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yes ..I watched this moving when it first came out...it was hard to watch then and it still is after these years...but I couldn't stop.

Thanks Sister Zulile...

5. Kevan

Kevan New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely. City of God is a magnificent film

there's a tv show and a followup movie too both called City of Men

6. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Fantastic movie, I love it.

Saw one recently that reminded me of it, it was called La Tropa De Elite, it is in some ways more brutal and humane. Not so superficial and action like as City of God.

It missed charm, but it lacks up for it in realism.

Reality is ugly some places.

One.

- Ikoro

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I haven't seen this yet , you say it's worth a watch ? with moreso reality to it !

8. carsonh

carsonh Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student, volunteer (not really a "job" i
    Ratings:
    +18
    I watched this movie sometime back w/ some friends. Its one of my favorite movies and just the other day I was saying to myself that I need to find the dvd and watch it again. Thanks for bringing it up Zulie.

9. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

Saw it twice and I absolutely loved it! It is the best so called low budget film I have ever seen.

Astrologer4U