City brothers die 'more abundantly'

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by dustyelbow, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    ‘Excess’ Mortality Higher for Blacks in Urban Versus Rural Areas

Description
    Harlem in New York City and Pitt County, N.C., are both poor parts of the country, but the African-American male population of Pitt County has half the excess mortality rate of Harlem. The difference may be that Harlem residents have less access to good health care and less social support than do the rural inhabitants of Pitt County, a new study suggests.

Harlem in New York City and Pitt County, N.C., are both poor parts of the country, but the African-American male population of Pitt County has half the excess mortality rate of Harlem. The difference may be that Harlem residents have less access to good health care and less social support than do the rural inhabitants of Pitt County, a new study suggests.

“I did not expect these results. If you told me earlier that rural people would have had better health care, I would not have believed it,” said lead study author Dr. Arline Geronimus.

“Excess mortality” is the number of deaths per 100,000 African-Americans over and above the death rate for whites nationwide.

The study, published in the August issue of the Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, evaluated data from separate surveys on risk factors associated with excess mortality. Responses came from 963 African-American adults in Harlem and 1,773 of their Pitt County peers.

At the time of the surveys, Pitt County had a poverty rate of 36 percent compared with a poverty rate of 43 percent in Harlem. Nationally, the poverty rate among whites is 7 percent.

In 1990, there were 504 excess deaths for African-American men and 224 for women in Pitt County. Excess deaths among African-Americans in Harlem reached 1,296 for men and 534 for women. Yet, health conditions such as hypertension and obesity, which lead to excess mortality, were more common in Pitt County than Harlem.

The most likely reason for the difference appears to be access to health care, with 84 percent of Pitt County respondents and 73 percent of Harlem respondents reporting they had a usual source of health care. The only health behavior that could explain some of the difference in mortality was that Harlem residents were more likely to smoke.

Most previous studies have pointed to a deficiency in care in rural areas, said Geronimus, a professor at the School of Public Health and Research, University of Michigan.

Social connections also appear to play a role. Pitt County residents reported having more social connection; 74 percent said they usually had someone to talk to about personal matters compared with 41 percent of Harlem residents. This may mean that public policies should promote social connections and avoid undermining them, Geronimus said.

“The findings reinforce those of other studies, which suggest that a multipronged approach is needed to eliminate health disparities,” said Brian Smedley, Ph.D., research director of the Opportunity Agenda, a communications research and policy organization in Washington.
    +------------------------------------------------------------------+

And very little is being DONE since this have become VIEWED as COMMON and NATURAL by GREATER SOCIETY and POPULAR ARTFORM that REINFORCE IT.

Oh well.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    The economic powers in Amerikkka are not going to promote social connections unless they have found a way to make money off of it--and I mean MAD BANK.

Our social disconnection is what has left us independant from each other but dependant on things that are bought, sold and taxed. This disconnection is so important in our consumer driven economy. They're not going to reverse that just for the health of Black people. I bet my bottom dollar they wouldn't even do it for the health of white people.

3. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Agreed with us not getting a CHECK UP but ECONOMIC FORCES do it with all the time with IMAGES for white people which GREATER SOAKS UP AS REALITY. I see white people FALLING BY THE WAYSIDE ALL THE TIME but there is somebody READY to BRING them BACK. Remember the SLAVE OWNER and their FAMILY losing his PLANTATION and some of us READY to GIVE them a SPECIAL PLACE to RECOVER. I dont see NOTHING WRONG with THIS. It's a LESSON for ME. EVERYONE receives their JUST REWARD at the END. For MANY of US, we are LEFT TO DIE.

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    RIVER

YOU MAKE A VERY VERY VERY GOOD POINT

THE BANK DOESN'T CARE ABOUT COLOR AND WHITE PEOPLE ARE FINDING THAT OUT EVERYDAY

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    so true .....i agree this why we have to pick each other up before we die off or forgotten about.