Brother AACOOLDRE : Circumcision

Discussion in 'AACOOLDRE' started by AACOOLDRE, Oct 22, 2004.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    The priest of Ka/Spirit are the oldest known being documented performing circumcision in Egypt 2200BC. When Paul said he wanted to go back to circumcision of heart in the spirit (Romans 2:29) did he have the Egyptians on his mind?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother AACOOLDRE ... we were just talking about this topic in chat last night, and to think this thread has been here for years! Wow. Such a Blessing!

Can you tell me (us) more?

Why were they done? Were they done to both male and female? Is the procedure the same today, as then?

Thanks a Bunch!

:heart:

Destee

3. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    circumcision is an ancient african tradition; that dates back to kemet, kush and likely earlier.

male circumcision was accompanied by female excision, removing the clitoral hood not the entire clitoris.

the practice was symbolic of the infant/child embracing their sexuality; the remaining feminine element (foreskin) was removed from the male; and the masculine element was removed from the female.

in conversations with ogotemmeli, a dogon priest (ogotemmeli) reveals a creation story where the creator, amma, is attempting to take the earth as his wife and engage in intercourse; her clitoris, as a male force, opposes amma and disrupts the union; causing the incorrect birth of ogo. afterwards amma excises his wife at that point and then normal dual births (the nommo) take place.

i would need to research when the process degraded from the clitoral hood to the entire clitoris.

4. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    very true

i have not found out my self why the pratice has changed myself. However here is an example of what u speak.I am not sure of the validaty of what they speak so i am just using as a reference for reliefs of circumsion being found all over afruqa.

www.circlist.com/rites/egypt.html

5. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I’m just curious; I wonder if circumcision were not already an accepted medical practice in modern western culture would we be upholding it’s sacred ceremonial virtues? I ask this because, many of our people, regardless of their African centered thinking, or how strongly they are embracing the accoutrements of African culture, seem to only embrace aspects of African culture and spirituality that are not too socially invasive, or will overly challenge their socio-culture comfort zones or normality. I’m not saying this is necessarily disingenuous, but they seem to pick and choose what to uphold as an important cultural practice needed to be reconstituted for our spiritual and psycho-cultural wholeness, as they seem to shy away from some other practices that are way outside of their present cultural conditioning.

For I know many African-centered folks in the Diaspora who believe that circumcision is a necessary undertaking as it relates to the medical, spiritual, or metaphysical well-being of the male-child and to the initiated adult Black male, but I have rarely heard anyone seeking to reestablish female circumcision, even if it's solely the excising or incising of the clitoral hood.

Peace

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Female circumcision has recieved such bad press the past decade, i don't think Africans in diaspora will be receptive of the pracitice.

7. Sun Ship

Ratings:
    +39
    Well I more than agree. In light of your truthful revelation I’ll allude back to my last post, I don’t believe Black men in the Diaspora could have brought themselves to the point of undergoing even male circumcision as a renewed cultural rite if it hadn’t already been a part of modern medicine in the west and also culturally accepted in America. For male circumcision did not survive the slave trade as an African cultural practice.

Peace

8. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

female circumcision was originaly practiced to enhanced the female sexual response, then somehow it got perverted through the ages and the result is what we have now.

However, there are ethnic groups in Africa who still practice the original version; that is, the removal of the clitoral hood....and the women are all to happy for it!...lol

9. Sun Ship

Ratings:
    +39
    Watch out now!…LOL

Sister I think it’s important that the true nature of female circumcision is correctly explained to the world. I hope there is a new generation of African women who will speak, “truth to power”. For it is not just about if one agrees with the practice or not personally, but it is about making a proper assessment of African culture based upon truth and not half-truths, lies, propaganda, and demonization.

As of now, it this just one of many African cultural practices that’s being used to further demonize Africans and Africa in general. All forms of this ancient practice are presently lumped together with the more distorted practice of female circumcision called, as you know, genital mutilation.

This is the same thing that has been done with what is referred to as polygyny (as we discussed in another thread). African marital traditions that allow two women to be married to one man, are now being lumped together with the more patriarchal forms of so-called polgynist marriage, as practiced by some Moslems and Mormons; and even amongst these communities the most misogynistic and repressive patriarchs or traditions are always highlighted to help further demonize all forms of so-called polygyny in general.

Peace