Black People : Cigarette Smoking

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Jun 12, 2013.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Do you smoke? If so, why do you enjoy it? Have you ever smoked? If so, what made you quit? Have you been in a relationship with someone who did? Would you get involved in a relationship with someone who does, why or why not?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    :SuN020: no, no, no, and no no no….it's nasty and it stinks. unhealthy too

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

No, I don't smoke. I've never smoked. And yes, I've been in a relationship with a smoker. I don't really care for the habit or the smell.

4. Honey1201

Honey1201 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    No I do not smoke but I use to. I enjoyed it because it relaxed me. Its strange because I only smoked when I was driving to and from work (i worked 30 min away), after my children went to bed I would smoke outside, and as strange as it sounds after the gym lol. I would try to not let my children see me smoke and felt embarrased if other peoples children would see me smoke while I was in the car..crazy. That has been about over 5 years ago. My then husband continued to smoke but that didn't bother me. Yes I would get involved with a smoker again.

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    No to all accept, I dated a smoker once. Clauwd hab mercy she was foine! I was young and dumb then. lol

6. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I use to smoke, but gave it up a long time ago. Not because I fell for all the cancer, 2nd hand smoke, bad for your help propaganda, but just because I got tired of it.
    As for now though, my wife smokes, and it bothers me none. I am not tempted, nor am I concerned about her health because again, I don't jump into the hype. I know too many people who have smoked their whole lives, and have yet to experience any ill effects.

7. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    Well - I loves all things liquor. *laugh*
    But...no, I don't smoke. I don't have an addictive personality. EVERCLEAR is about the hardest substance that I've ever had in my system. It's like gasoline. It's banned in some parts of the country.
    ...but not in Texas! *laugh*

Anyway --
    we're all adults but I'd encourage smokers to make lifestyle changes. If you can't quit? Get those electronic cigarettes. Modify your smoking. Exercise to combat stress levels.

It must be understand that cig smoke doesn't just damage the lungs.
    ...cig smoke constricts the blood vessels as well...which increases bp (blood pressure).
    If you've got 'pre-existing cardiovascular issues like, say, HTN (hypertension)? Cigarettes can thoroughly exacerbate your condition. 'Vasoconstriction' (the constriction of the vessels) lasts for up to an hour from the time you smoked your last cig.
    ALSO...tobacco smoke does cause 'vasospasms'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasospasm <-- I dislike using wiki but I couldn't find a better source.

Additionally, all peripheral/cardiovascular disorders aren't 'atherosclerotic' in nature...I guess you could say?
    Meaning: Some disorders have little to do with the accumlation of fatty deposits turned to plaque in your artery walls. Typical of most occlusions ... b/c of high cholesteral and a poor diet.
    Thromboangiitis Obliterans,** for one.

This is a periph/cardiovasc disorder that only occurs in smokers (and certain ethnic groups).

**FYI...just to help folks understand the link without the jargon:
    There is a pathologic change in the arteries.
    The vessels are constricted...which prevents the O2 from being delivered to the tissue (hypoxia) ...which affects circulation leading to decreased 'perfusion' of blood (intermittent claudication)... and pain/aching/burning/cramping/fatigue (ischemia)...and numbness and cold sensitivity/temp differences to the area...which leads to tissue death (gangrene, necrosis)

8. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    It's not propaganda and it's not hype.

It's for everyone to do as they like and live how they want, of course.
    ...but some things are simply bad for the body. I have coworkers who smoke and they're nurses, docs. NPs and EMT's.
    The difference would be that they don't downplay the 'risk'. They understand what could happen. They simply choose to smoke, anyway.
    Same way that I choose to eat pork. I know fully well that it's not good for me.
    ...but I do what I will in, spite of it.

All in all, it hardly matters how many folks 'we know' that smoked forever and a day and never exp'd an issue. That's really not the point of medical research....

9. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    can you elaborate how you got "tired" of it? i've never heard of a person getting tired of smoking. I've heard of people being 'forced' to quit due to a life threatening illness of some sort (heart attack, breast cancer), and hell even health scares don't deter people from such a habit. But yeah, inquiring minds want to know.

10. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

man.. that's some 1940's logic for real. Lung Cancer is hype? ha.. it's wild how far the mind goes to rationalize. You know good and well that cigarettes are bad for you.