Black Spirituality Religion : Church Bans Children to “Protect” Pastor Registered as Sex Offender

Monday, December 14, 2009 Archives

Former high-profile preacher admits to fathering child
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (ABP) -- A former pastor once touted by Southern Baptist leaders as America's next great black preacher has admitted to fathering the child of a woman who claims he raped her during a counseling session in 2004.

1_medium_gilyard.png

Before falling from grace, Darrell Gilyard was touted by Southern Baptist leaders as America's next great black preacher.
Darrell Gilyard, who is currently serving a three-year prison sentence for molesting a different girl in his church and sending lewd text messages to yet another, signed a consent judgment to resolve a paternity suit the woman filed against him, the Florida Times-Union reported Dec. 11. The admission came after a court-ordered paternity test. Gilyard was not charged with rape.

Gilyard, former pastor of Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Fla., pleaded guilty May 21 to molesting a 15-year-old girl and sending lewd text messages to another. He was arrested Jan. 14, 2008, on charges of lewd and lascivious conduct after a church member told police she found inappropriate text messages from Gilyard on her daughter's cell phone. Another girl recorded alleged sexual conduct with Gilyard in her diary.

Gilyard resigned Jan. 4, 2008, after 15 years as pastor of Shiloh Metropolitan, a 7,000-member predominantly African-American congregation. As a young minister in the 1980s, he was mentored by prominent Southern Baptist Convention leaders including Paige Patterson and Jerry Vines and promoted on Jerry Falwell's Old Time Gospel Hour.
http://abpnews.com/archives/item/46...eacher-admits-to-fathering-child#.U1ph7JUU_IU

Probation terms altered to permit sex offender pastor to minister to children
A Baptist church that made news two years ago for allowing a registered sex offender to preach is now free to allow children in worship services.

Friday, April 25, 2014

y Bob Allen
A judge in Florida has changed probation terms for a preacher who is a registered sex offender to allow the former Southern Baptist pastor to minister to children in his church.

darrelll-gilyard.jpg

Darrell Gilyard
Darrell Gilyard, 52, began preaching at Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church in Jacksonville, Fla., shortly after his release from prison in December 2011 for sex crimes against two minor girls at his previous church. It made international news when the church barred children from worship, because Gilyard’s probation prohibited him from having contact with minors.
Recently, according to Jacksonville television station WJXT, a judge agreed to modify the probation so Gilyard can "minister to children under the age of 18 as long as the children are supervised by an adult other than the defendant."

Gilyard pleaded guilty in 2009 to lewd or lascivious conduct and molestation involving two girls younger than 16. His 2007 resignation after 15 years as pastor of Jacksonville’s Shiloh Metropolitan Baptist Church, a 7,000-member predominantly African-American congregation, marked the fifth pastorate he lost due to allegations of sexual misconduct...

http://abpnews.com/ministry/people/item/28621-sex-offender-pastor-can-minister-to-children
http://www.news4jax.com/New-probation-guidelines-for-sex-offender-pastor/25560234

This was/is my very point brutha SJ. All they had to do was apply the word religion and he was treated differently. I know a young brutha few years ago who was 19 at the time had consensual sex with a 16 year old. She was 15 at the time so she lied to save her rump and the brutha went to jail, and got slapped with that sex offender title.

Peace!

This was/is my very point brutha SJ. All they had to do was apply the word religion and he was treated differently. I know a young brutha few years ago who was 19 at the time had consensual sex with a 16 year old. She was 15 at the time so she lied to save her rump and the brutha went to jail, and got slapped with that sex offender title.

Peace!

Someone told me..."Who for a shepherd would not want to eat one of his sheep":eek::( not sure if the person heard a pastor make the statement. But with this kind of thinking no wonder we are seeing behaviour like this. Not only is the sexual molestation going on among pastors and young girls but between pastors and young boys. I believe there are perverts who see churches as an easy target to indulge in their perverted and immoral lifestyle. They creep in under the guise of being nice, but their motive is impure...They are a wolf in sheep's clothing. Congregations in many of the churches have the pastors on a pedestal. They place their faith in him and as far as they are concerned he can do no wrong. Sexual molestation usually happens among those whom we trust, pastors, family and friends. We as parents must be vigilant and TRUST NOONE. I have two granddaughters 7 and 10 and woe to anyone who will try a stunt like that...Their fathers I know for sure would spend time in jail for any creep who would seek to harm them. Our children must be protected and we as adults must not hide these perverts after they have done irreparable damage to our children.
When a child has lost their innocence it cannot be replaced....We must shield our children from these individuals.

I have two granddaughters 7 and 10 and woe to anyone who will try a stunt like that...Their fathers I know for sure would spend time in jail for any creep who would seek to harm them.

Thanks for your honest post sista.

Every since I read that story, I've been wondering a few things.

1) Did the parents put religion before their child by agreeing to this deal.
2) I wonder if these people that are saying, "give him a second chance" would feel the same way if it happened to their child.
3) Are they really going to enforce this no contact deal that they made? And what steps did they take to make sure the pastor can't get one of them alone.

Peace!

Thanks for your honest post sista.

Every since I read that story, I've been wondering a few things.

1) Did the parents put religion before their child by agreeing to this deal. :(I believe so)
2) I wonder if these people that are saying, "give him a second chance" would feel the same way if it happened to their child. (Doubt very much)
3) Are they really going to enforce this no contact deal that they made? And what steps did they take to make sure the pastor can't get one of them alone. (These are crazy parents..)

Peace!

They are some women who know that their daughters are being molested by fathers and stepfathers and because of economic reasons say nothing and remain with these creep. So I guess for some unknown reason these people just allow this to go on.

Years ago a woman was married had an only child for her husband a girl. One day the girl went to bathe in the bathroom, as she entered her bedroom, the mother saw the father pushed the door slightly peeping at his daughter...the mother was in the kitchen but he could not see her. He left to go on an errand whilst he was gone, the mother packed her clothes and those of her daughter and never came back. She argued that IF he looked at her in a naked state, and she saw that, he probably would interfere with her if for some reason both of them were there when she wasn't. She took no chances... Too many parents are irresponsible and have allowed religion to blind their eyes.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back