Black Spirituality Religion : Chucky's Most Pertinent Question

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Sep 16, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Brotha's question is very relavant on a board as diverse as ours and should not go unasked or unexplored. So if he does not mind I have taken it upon myself to ask all of you my family:

Why do we worry who to pray to if there is only one God for all men in all our various languages?

Are the different names we have for God merely a difference in language or are we all worshipping a different god?

When someone asked for prayer should you pray to God as you understand him/her or as they understand him/her?

Should you ask someone to pray for you if you're not sure who and how they pray?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    as has been pointed out, the question "could be" a "good" one. it very definitely shouldn't have been tossed in to that post. regardless of what one might feel about another's belief structure, as long as one is not willing to show that other enough respect to honor their request, one will continue to be "part of the problem". "pertinent question", ... sure, ok; someplace else! when and as it came up; most impertinent!

something to keep this distracting argument going. "mine is bigger than your's!" "my daddy can whip your daddy" kind of stuff. continued division of those that are out of the "control" loop.

prolly more different perceptions of a same entity based on where we are/were when we "discovered" the concept.

not real sure if one could do that other than as one understands and is comfortable with?

"the more the merrier". unless one suspects that someone over there is talking to shiva, ku, lucifer, legba or loki. <shrug> i would imagine that what's more important is the energy/power of the prayer coming from the conviction within those being asked. regardless of "who" the prayer is tossed up to, the heartfelt, hopefully, "true" intent is what is hoped to "tickle the ivories" of the "higher power".

3. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    No moreso than continuing to beat that horse in this thread.

I dont' see how you got that perspective from RIVER's statement.

I can agree with this. Spiritual development is just as much anthropological as it is ethereal.

That's the point though; why should a person's comfort zone dictate how they respond to something that by nature is the ultimate Unknown?

What's wrong with these entities? Do you have an intimate knowledge about them? A person could say the same thing about "Jesus".

If that is the case, then what does it matter if I pray to LOKI, if I do so with conviction to help the person being prayed for?

This sounds rather contradictory, based on your immediately preceding statement.

Would you have a problem with me praying to Lucifer on your behalf, as long as my prayer was sincere?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    "no other God before me................"

the Christians done scared every body.
    i remember them saying if i slipped up and prayed to the wrong God, I'd get punished.

if you don't do right God's gonna gitcha!

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Well aren't they praying to the wrong god when they pray to Jesus since that is not his real name?

6. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I have no idea what the belief structure is for the person who requested prayer, hence, I asked the question. There is no disrespect there. The question absolutely should be put in that post since that is where prayer was requested.

Peace

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    Belief Structure Is Irrelevant. All Are Acceptable. Resistance Is Futile.

oh! well, let's try it from the Cultural direction:

the question, at that place and time, which is to say, in the middle of the service, is a social slap in the faith to the prayer requestor and all who would immediately pro-offer their heartfelt prayers. it almost, well, no, it tarnishes, just enough to see and feel, the "service" we are providing to/for each other.

when someone requests a public prayer, nothing is said about a "denominational" prayer. a pulbic request for prayer is a request for an honest prayer, regardless of who you are praying to; that information is not necessary, and detracts from the strength that is requested in a public prayer. pray, faithfully, please, to whomever you pray to when you pray. on behalf of the party requesting the prayer, ask whoemever you do ask to send some good wishes their way.

the question is moot in these circumstances. that's just the way we do these things. and, pretty much, all "true" religions will respond immediately to this without any thought of that nature at all. ("true" as in consistent with itself, not as in "fact")

8. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    teacher to teacher, sam, if it is necessary to repeat a lesson a few times, is one beating a dead horse?

begging your pardon, but i took this as "question one" of the meat of river's post. this was not a statement, sam; she asked a question. i offered an opinion. it may have come across differently than you "expected" or something. but, begging your pardon, .... er .. no ...

i wish i knew what i said, here so that i could be sure of this; it sounds like a fun bit of contemplation!! thanks teach; that's on the back burner. interesting thought!

if it is usually outside of a person's confort zone to react to the unknown, and by definition it generally is. but given that we humans ponder things like this, it is possible to self train to be within closer tolerances of one's "confort zone". essentially, how they would react is completely unknown if .... wait a minute. oh, man - i don't feel like digging back to what i said that prompted this response ...

it very probably should't dictate squat. but because humans are humans, it will. this feels like a microscope that is much too fine!!

what? you don't know who they are? and it really looks li ....see below

do i have to walk all the way back and show you just how badly to picked apart what i was saying??!! oh, gee thanks!! what's up!! i'm like really being misunderstood around here lately? and then explain each one?

LOKI is the "god of mischief". ku is the god of death. legba is a deadly joker. lucifer is the father ... whatever. why would anyone ask one of these "entities" for their "best" on behalf of someone who (whom?) has asked for a public prayer. asking for mischief? asking for death? asking for a death by mischieviousness? do you really believe that there are people ..... oh, them maggots ... well, aside from them; do you really know humans that would wish someone the worst when they ask for a bit of "moral support". oh, dear, did i use the wrong word? are we gonna examine the strict meaning of this word? should i add, now, a strict definition of the context that i used it in this sense? sorry - this deconstruction into individual letters has just so left me wide open, that you have almost managed to convince me that you are legitimitley ... i don't know ... "third degree" stuff. excuse me?? says who?

:nono:

dang! thangs just seem to be bound and determine to .... no, gotta slow dow ... breathe!!!

9. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    let us examine RIVER's statement and explore my perspective.
    distraction of the plebes who have been distracted by "religion" created by those that want the plebes distracted with anything while they "control" the information and resources around them. an time/energy waster over "my god is more righteous than your god" arguments that have no meaning and no answer. futility. pure filler. nice distraction.

but that would be for the "collective", "mainstream", "we". it doesn't matter at all, now does it? all are facets of the some "Great Omni AllNess", if you'll pardon my flippancy. there is only One. and That One does not care about what It is Called, as long as the Calling is "faithful".

10. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    The subject of religion and spirituality will always be an explosive one. I stand in amazement at the ones who manage the courage to keep bringing it up. Religion along with politics in alot of cases are known to be a taboo subject to bring up unless the opinions shared are very similar between the persons involved. Both religion and party affilation(Democrats or Republicans) are something that you are basically born into, people very rarely changed either.

By that being the case you can understand the sensitivity behind all of this, these things have basically been a way for people to define who they are as an individual. I think people often times consider it not only as an attack on themselves but on all the generations that preceded them, even when the interpretation is ever so slight.

Seeing as both of these things are an inheritance.