Black People : Christopher Reeve's Widow Dies at Age 44

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Tantrum, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Man this deep
    Much Love 2 All
    The woman going through this

NEW YORK -
    Dana Reeve, who fought for better treatments and possible cures for paralysis through the Christopher Reeve Foundation, named for her late actor-husband, has died. She was 44.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    [-93756]

Reeve died Monday of lung cancer at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Center, said Sean Dougherty, a spokesman for the foundation.

"We are extremely saddened by the death of Dana Reeve, whose grace and courage under the most difficult of circumstances was a source of comfort and inspiration to all of us," Kathy Lewis, president and CEO of the foundation, said in a statement.

Reeve won worldwide admiration for her support of her husband, the one-time Hollywood "Superman" turned activist for spinal cord research after a horse-riding accident in 1996.

She served as chairwoman of the Christopher Reeve Foundation and founded the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center.

Christopher Reeve died in 2004. In August, Dana Reeve announced she had been diagnosed with lung cancer. She said she had never smoked.

She said in November that said she was able to keep her spirits up because she "had a great model. ... I was married to a man who never gave up."

Reeve lived in Westchester County, near New York, with the couple's teenage son, Will. She has appeared on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages and on the TV shows "Law & Order," "Oz," and "All My Children."

"Dana will always be remembered for her passion, strength and ceaseless courage that became her hallmark," Lewis said. "Along with her husband, Christopher, she faced adversity with grace and determination, bringing hope to millions around the world."

She is survived by her father, Dr. Charles Morosini; sisters Deborah Morosini and Adrienne Morosini Heilman; two stepchildren, Matthew and Alexandra; and her son.

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Having a disabled brother, I have sympathy for Christopher Reeve's situation despite obvious racial and class differences. That would be tough for anyone to have to go through.

It's interesting the wife died so soon after her husband, though dying of a broken heart is not uncommon.

3. Tantrum

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought the same thing
    It doesnt matter about race
    When it concerns something so deep

4. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I am trying to find some sympathy within me but guess what? I just cant find it!!

I will rather sympathize with the thousands of AIDS orphans in Africa or those dying of famine, than join in sympathy for a bunch of kids who will be taken care of by white America.

5. pfa1451usa

pfa1451usa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Much sadder...

...to see the passing of Kirby Puckett...always wondered about his weight...class act, incredible ballplayer...

6. Tantrum

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Its crazy the racism on here
    No matter what she has done
    For woman that have cancer
    All the donations for woman of all colors
    Yall cant look past that
    We have some sad individuals on here
    This truely shows people and racism is serious

7. pfa1451usa

Ratings:
    +1
    Racism?

“Racism” a very provocative and nasty word indeed. Co-opted by the right–wing talk show circuit and Republican Party and now applied to everyone, even Black-Americans

May I be so shallow as to assume or presume we are talking about the same word?

Definition of racism: "the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races."

When I was considerably younger it meant one in a position of power or authority who denied those of another ethnic group the opportunity to participate, i.e. dictating their income, credit opportunities, housing patterns, voting rights, etc..

What Black-American has ever possessed such power? Please give some examples. Just because white-America uses the word so cavalierly does not mean we should buy into the premise.

When Black-Americans rule the roost, deny others those same rights, I’ll withhold the “politically correct” terminology of acknowledging us of having the sheer capacity to exhibit “Racism”.

8. Tantrum

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12

I know what it is
    I wont get into a debate
    Like everone else like to do
    Thats just not me
    Its a shame that people
    On here hate white people so much
    That a woman that has died of cancer
    Donated money to help woman of all color dies
    Yet people on here display racism
    PERIOD
    Thats what it is

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19

I agree blacks can't be racist, but they can be prejudiced. Should prejudiced feelings be encouraged? Keep in mind, I consider acknowleding the reality of racism and doing something about (an action that is necessary by the way), separate and apart from disliking someone because God/Nature gave them a different set of physical characteristics. I also think you can have sympathy for another PERSON'S suffering without diminishing anything from the suffering of your own race.

I have compassion for his situation because I see a person suffering. I also have compassion for people of my own race who are suffering.

10. pfa1451usa

Ratings:
    +1
    Dana Reeve

I have neither prejudice nor malice toward Mrs. Reeves...simply noted the passing of Kirby Pucket...