Black Spirituality Religion : Christians, why YOUR Testimony????????

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by MizLindaLinda, Dec 10, 2004.

1. MizLindaLinda

MizLindaLinda Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    In Acts 1:8 KJV, it say's,"Ye shall receive power, after the Holy Ghost is come upon you, and ye shall be a witness unto me.....". Me meaning Jesus. However, a lot of Christians think that this means them.
    You receive the power to tell others about Jesus, not about YOU.
    You wouldn't tell the world what you are like, how wonderful you've become, or what a miserable sinner you were. Wouldn't you tell about Jesus instead?What He can do to a life thats empty? (ducking the spititual tomato throwers)
    Most think the power was given so they can tell their experiences, their "testimony".
    A wise man once said,"The Holy Spirit does NOT glorify what you have been through. He brings Jesus to the center. He shows the world what Jesus has gone through to get you to Heaven, not what you have gone through to get there.
    "You shall be a witness TO ME"_ to who JESUS is, what Jesus has done,what JESUS said, what JESUS promised.Not yourself.
    This is one thing I really cant understand, why people are compelled to tell, to witness, their past to someone. The minute we confess our sins according to scripture, their forgotton. Shouldnt we forget them too?In stead of doing that I see Christians bringing up their past sins to use in their "Testimony". Why, if Jesus forgets our sins, do we want to constantly bring them up again?
    If you can help me understand this one, please do.
    As a Christian, I cant imagine putting ME before JESUS, so why do most of you do this? :teach:

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The Non-Believer

You have a very good point. A personal testimony can lead to self praise. When witnessing to the non-believer we must understand something about them. The non-believer operates entirely in the physical world. Therefore they actually think that they are in control of their lives and destiny. This is a natural human trait. They are blind to the ways of the spirit. Because of this it is impossible for them to comprehend any about Jesus. They see it as praise of someone that can not take care of their immediate needs. How can Jesus fix my car? How can Jesus keep my lights on? How can Jesus keep food on my table? These are examples of question the non-believer may have. Scriptures in the Bible are meaningless to these people. They need proof. That proof comes by way of something they can grasp or relate to. For example the Presidency was won not by facts or records but by the person most people could relate to. Though Bush's jobs performance is seriously in question, there was something about him that his voter could relate to. People have choked on food before, have had substance abuse problems before, have a hard time what verbal expression, etc. My point is to give God the praise and glory first and foremost, then show people how your relationship with God has changed you. Non-believers can't relate to an invisible God but they can relate to you. Everything in a persons past has lead them to where to are. As Christians none of us are born and live a blameless life. Some of us have not always been Christians. Use those experiences to minster to the needs of people. Sometime we must meet a person at their level before they will listen. Though a Christian has been delivered for drug addiction, who better to minster to the addict that want's to quit? To be fishers of men you need bait. That bait sometime is our personal testimony.

Peace

Radical Faith

3. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    And might I add that by our testimony (the testifying of what Christ has done in our life to bring us to this place in Him), we have overcome the world. If we forget where God has brought us from as some of us have, we will lose sight of the future we have in Him...which is indeed a glorious one.

Respectfully

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, Sister Joyce! :toast:

We testify in giving praise and thanks for what HE has done and to tell of HIS goodness and mercy.

A testimony is how we don't forget where we came from, where He brought us from and how we go over!

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Very well said, Brother Rad!

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    "Honest critique"...or "bashing"?

...You decide.

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I do believe personal testimony shows for modern day proof of the works of the Father, and how far His salvation has reached from the time the Son walked the earth and was sacrificed for our sins, and many generations following His ascension after His resurrection from the dead.

But it all should go back to glory and praise of the Father, in fear, love, and worship, and honor of the Father and the Son. Be faithful and believing, and His Spirit will be in you. Blessings.