Black Spirituality Religion : Christians Attack Akan Tradition

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by soulosophy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
  2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    African spirituality is so rich. It is attacks such as this that make it hard for me to see Christianity as just an innocent personal belief system.

3. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    Indeed sis River. Personally, my siblings and I were never really taught or encouraged to study our Afrikan ancestry let alone our spiritual heritage due to the so many colonised minds of today. Even now when I speak to some Ghanaians and Nigerians they say that traditional Afrikan spirituality is evil. And guess what religion they are? Yep, Christians or Catholics.

My siblings and I were made to believe that Afrikan spirituality was nothing but witchcraft and evil worship etc. Even though my parents are from the island of Jamaica we have heard them speak of Obeah many times but we were taught it was evil. After sooooo many years of my life its only been quite recent that I am discovering the truth and rediscovering part of my heritage and I am so blessed and so grateful to come across this knowledge. My whole perspective on life and God has changed tremendously.

I did have a few questions though...
    When a woman is married to a God and becomes a Priestess, I guess then she can no longer ever be married to a mortal man? Also, even though the spirits manifest primarily through women, these spririts must be of male gender? What about the female gender spirits/gods, do they not marry the men of the communities? Very interesting. I have intentions to visit Ghana one day.

Peace, Love, Light...

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Thank you for this post. I am sorry though because I can't answer your questions. But I will suggest looking into Mami Wata.

The reason I thank you is because I have had some drastic changes in my life over the past three years and find myself "drifting" and virtually homeless. I have gotten support from a few family members but that is also part of the problem. The distance that exists between them. The alienation. Of which I have become part.

On my last trip to Texas I went to retireve some items from storage before I lose them not being able to pay any longer for the space. One book in particular I got was The African Heritage of the Akan. I was posting on this site one night, and the next day the book mysteriously disappeared. Vanished. I have been somewhat depressed ever since.

I have also been dealing with close family connected to a church in Atlanta. Its a Black Christian Nationalist Church. Shrine of the Black madonna. But do you see my avatar?

Last night I went through some of my things and found some notes from when I first moved from California to Texas. It was eye opening. At the time I was moving towards study of kemetic, Akan and Yoruba spirituality. I combine some if this with the study of astrology/astronomy, etc.

What I found in my notes, just last night, had to do with information I found in the Akan book related to the day of my birth. But I had interpreted it from an Ife perspective. Basically, it involves a relationship to Esu-Elegba.

Whether its Esu, Eshu or (y)Eshu(a)...this is the energy I have been guided by the last three years, and their is also a feminine "counterpart" to this.

So when you ask "do they not marry the men of the communities?" I can only guess and say, I think so!

Peace.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Nsala malecum,

Indeed, men marry the spirits. In Haitian Vodou, it is common to find a man married to, primarily, Freda and Dantor.

My wife is Ghanaian and once we went to her parent's church and the pastor there made me throw away my elekes, saying he was destroying my pact I made with the blood of the lamb. I went along because the elekes I was was wearing at the time were not consecrated or fed.

Blackbird

6. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    Thanks for your response Brother omowalejabali and Brother Blackbird,

What is the difference between spirits and deities? Or are they one and the same? Seeing as the English language does not convey the true definitions or meanings of the rich Afrikan language, how does one take when such terms are used as "marrying gods"? Can anyone give more clarifications or meanings on how such terms are related to marriage in terms of masculine and feminine energy or forces that operate in the self and the universe?

Peace...

7. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Personally, I don't like the word "deities", simply because it - in my mind - conveys a position of subservience. Your Ori (your Head) is the deity. The expression of marrying the spirits evolves from the African concept of contraction and expansion and has makes perfect sense in the permeability of gender roles in African society. If you need more, I can provide it for you.

Blackbird

8. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    I would appreciate if you would provide more info on this please my Brother...

Thanking you in advance :)

Peace...!

9. DARKSIDE MAGICK

DARKSIDE MAGICK Well-Known Member MEMBER

SORCERER
    Ratings:
    +674
    CHAOS

I AGREE ALSO BRO. BLACKBIRD ON THE WORD "DIETIES", LATELY I JUST SAY ENTITIES SO WHEN I MAKE PACT WITH SOME OF THEM THEY KNOW WHAT UP. I'M MARRIED TO ERZULIE DANTOR, BUT SHE MAY FILE FOR DIVORCE SINCE I DONT FOLLOW ORDERS REAL WELL LOL LOL

10. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Bruh,

Not Dantor? She is something else. You know Freda is waiting on the wings since she gets jealousy if you're married to Dantor. They have not signaled their desire to marry me. The commitment is too high. I'm treading lightly because although I love both of them, especially Freda with her high maintenance self, I don't want to even hint at a proposal.

Also I prefer to call them entities as well.

Blackbird