Black Christians : Christianity is NOT Religion

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Proverbs31Woman, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    I've always said that I'm not tied to religion, a man made attempt to purify themselves, BUT a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. So often we hear people use religion synonymous with a faith...this is a terrible misnomer.

I ran across an article which has some strong points that would be good for anyone to review. My hope is that it will open up dialogue to explore together. Otherwise, for your reading pleasure!

This is an exceprt that stirred my spirit...

http://www.christinyou.net/pages/Xnotrel.html

Blessings:heart:

2. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    Ah. A virtuous woman ... her price far above rubies.

I, too, draw a distinction between Jesus Christ and religion. Here is an interesting experiment anyone can do. The Net has a number of online search engines for looking up words in some of the versions of the bible. I just did a search in the KJV for the word 'religion' and did not get back one hit in any of the four gospels. I got the same result from a search engine for the RSV.

It would not appear that Jesus was a fan of religion either. At least not of what religion has come to mean in the English language. To find hits for the word 'religion' in the NT, you have to skip past all four gospels and look at accounts of events which occurred after Jesus ascended back to the Father.

Why do you think, as the title of this thread states, Christianity is not religion? It is informative to perform the aforementioned experiment, this time searching for 'christian' or 'christianity'. I just did and got back similar results. Which is to say that neither word appears in any of the four gospels. Again, these words do not show up until after Jesus ascended back to the Father.

Does this not bring to mind what Paul warned about:

Acts 20:28-31 "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears."

Something else to think about.

According to a number of polls, Blacks are among the most religious of Americans. Most of the blacks who responded to these polls indicated some flavor of Christianity as their religion of choice:

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2009/01/30/african-americans-top-us-religious-measures-pew/

If Jesus did not teach religion, yet so many Blacks do identify themselves as religious, specifically Christians, what does that say about which side American Blacks are fighting on in the end time prophecies about MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH?

http://www.christinyou.net/pages/revbabyl.html

3. Proverbs31Woman

Ratings:
    +879
    Greetings brother Istlota and thank you for your response. I appreciate your input and agree, we weren't meant to cleave to man-made traditions and rituals as an effort to cleanse us of iniquity, nothing we do can do that. It is the bloody cross that covers us as we die daily to our flesh and develop a mind of Christ.

Christianity was first introduced by non-Christians of Antioch (Acts 11:26), it was used to mock believers. However, we have taken that name and wear it with honor signifying our lifestyle to represent the Heavenly Father, walking in the spirit in a Christ-like manner.. Now, we also describe ourselves as brothers (Acts 6:3), believers (Acts 5:14), or saints (Acts 9:13)...but to the World, we will always be labeled as Christians.

Yes, it's unfortunate, but there are many religious Christians. However, this was sparked by misguided teachings that became a tradition. My aim is to help folks realize that Jesus came to set us free not bind us to a law we could never adhere to on our own..but all is not lost :)

I'm still thumbing through the article this thread was opened with, so forgive me that I cannot dive into your article right away. It may be fitting to open another thread and post it there, as an additional topic for study and dialogue;)

Peace and Blessings!

4. Proverbs31Woman

Ratings:
    +879
    I just realized I didn't include a response to your reuters link.

This article shared survey results of which used religion to describe the lifestyle of a believer. Here's the problem, the world at large doesn't separate religion from relationship. Had I taken that survey, of which may have been written by an unbeliever, my responses would appear that I too am religious..far from the truth. Incorporating fellowship and prayer in one's life shows Who they honor and worship rather than the focus being to adhere to religious steps for sanctification.

Blessings:)

5. Proverbs31Woman

Ratings:
    +879
    Brother, I appreciate the background you shared and thank you for that..it helps to understand where you are coming from. At this point, I must pause and remind you that study forms are for STUDY. I wouldn't dare go into a Kemet study thread and challenge why they chose that path. If I were a babe in Christ, I would take offense to
    , but with maturity and a love for my people, I have accepted that this path will offer me many bumps in the road. Without knowing my story, your comment is premature, laced with judgement and hints that your beliefs are far from what this study group walks in, however, we are both committed to our faiths:) . So let's just end this particular dialogue respectfully, allowing each other the freedom to study and grow in whatever path we are lead to and respecting that choice.

Peace and blessings:heart:

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Enough said, and well said indeed Proverbs31woman.

Peace In,

7. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356

I agree. Christianity can NEVER be expressed as a religion. Even Jesus told us that in Matthew 23 when he warned us of following religious leaders who lost sight of God's directives. I've learned that this is a lifestyle, mentality, and a thought process. To think of it as less is insulting to God, I believe.

8. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,732
    I am simply blown away by your thoughts and words and thank you so much. This is a learning moment for me. I've been struggling and searching for the right words to try and address the subject of religion and how it can be mis-construed and directed in a negative way against belief in Jesus Christ. I've read your responses too, further on in this thread and I am so enriched by your responses. Wow! Thank you again.

9. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    This is my first time here on this particular board.
    I have said that so many times before that there is a world of difference between CHRISTIANITY AND RELIGION. Religion is about man and Christianity is about Jesus. I find it amusing when Atheists and those who poke fun at Christianity say...I would ban all religion..or when there is a killing by Muslim extremist they say, that is what religion is all about.... are confusing Christianity with religion. Thanks for posting this link.

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS!

I haven't dissected it all yet; but I am loving this article! Here's what spoke to me: