Black Christians : Christian Discernment

Well, that's why I asked so I wouldn't assume what your intent was.

I responded to your post from a Christian viewpoint. Yes, I thought I detected a bit of a defensive tone in your reply to me in that you were steadfastly separating your beliefs from mine.
So are you saying a christian viewpoint is one where you are hypersensitive to a rejection of your christian belief...anywho...it seems one followed the other here in your statements...christian viewpoint is on guard ready to defend....YES I was and have "separated" my beliefs when it comes to Christianity as is....

However, surely, by now, you and I both know where each of us stand in our respective spiritual beliefs. So, I thought your tone was defensive.
yes..that barrier will stay in place as i work to protect myself from b.s. when i discern it....again...i reason for posting was stated in all the back and forth now....as Brother Clyde would call this..

But, if my "discernment" was off kilter there, I do apologize.

Also, you say you think the title is "misleading. "However, I wasn't intimating that discernment is restricted to Christianity, but the thread is specifying what it is within and to Christianity.
oh you mean for the Christians to talk about the b.s. they discern amongst the non-believers...oh..my bad or be able to talk about stuff using the language of christianity ...you know...the "address"/scripture and verse and the like...

So, how could it be "misleading" when it is posted in a forum set aside for the "Study" of Christianity? Everything I post here pertains to Christianity and its tenets/teachings and "discernment" is one of them.

Denotatively, DISCERN means:

–verb (used with object)
1. to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect; see, recognize, or apprehend: They discerned a sail on the horizon.
2. to distinguish mentally; recognize as distinct or different; discriminate: He is incapable of discerning right from wrong.
–verb (used without object)
3. to distinguish or discriminate.
http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=denotative&search=search

But, again, this thread is speaking to spiritual discernment in Christianity. So, I just don't see how the topic nor my intent can be seen as "misleading."

M.E. said:
is "christian discernment" different than any other type of discernment for you :?:

M.E.
:hearts2:

True, there is a certain "barrier" between any two people who have different spiritual beliefs. So, how can you be working to "protect" yourself from "b.s" or "Christ-insanity" when you voluntarily enter into a discussion about a religion which you no longer adhere to?

And, of course, I'm going to be “on guard” to defend my Christian beliefs in a study forum for Christianity.

So, to answer your question, yes, “Christian Discernment” is different from other types of discernment because it is rooted in CHRIST.

So, what part of “Christian Discernment” did you not understand?

You, then, posted to this topic and I responded from a Christian viewpoint. However, I, even if in error, sensed some "hypersensitivity" from YOU because I replied using the “language of Christianity.”

But, you're the one who came in here, essentially, “waving your banner” after I responded to you recounting your previous spiritual gift evaluations in the Christian church.

Now, this forum was completely EMPTY until I opened it up by posting in here; but many other members, who are NOT Christians, feel compelled to respond to the topics here, as if they are offended by the very presence of this forum and my posting in it.

When I posted a thread on “Healing Testimonies,” PhynxofKmt came in to define her “church” and her healing beliefs/experiences and then you came in to co-sign.
http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58758

However, I choose not to participate in the constant BASHING and BELITTLING many of the members here do against others whose beliefs differ from theirs. For a site which espouses to command, teach, and example “RESPECT,” I really don't see much of it when it comes to differing spiritual beliefs.--I don't go all over the board preaching Christianity. No, I come to the Christian forum to speak on my religious beliefs, but so many others feel they have the right to counter/oppose anything I say here.

It looks to me that many Destee members THRIVE and FEED on, either OVERTLY or COVERTLY, attacking another.

So, speaking of “ENERGY,” I get a vibe from you and some others here which is soaked in negativity and separation.

As for “ENERGY,” I sense resentment and anger from you.

Now, that's what I "sense." But, as a Christian, I am taught to PRAY and seek "UNDERSTANDING" so that I can spiritually "DISCERN" if what I sense is right or wrong and if, perhaps, I am being "hypersensitive."

Christian Discernment 101

If anything is certain for Christians today, it's that we find ourselves living among people who do not share our deepest convictions and values. If we are to be faithful as Christians in such a pluralistic setting, we need to develop the skill of discernment. We need to have the ability to respond winsomely to those who see things very differently than we do, instead of merely reacting to the ideas, values, and behavior of the non-Christians around us....

http://www.christianitytoday.com/biblestudies/movies/articles/050105a.html

True, there is a certain "barrier" between any two people who have different spiritual beliefs. So, how can you be working to "protect" yourself from "b.s" or "Christ-insanity" when you voluntarily enter into a discussion about a religion which you no longer adhere to?

And, of course, I'm going to be “on guard” to defend my Christian beliefs in a study forum for Christianity.

So, to answer your question, yes, “Christian Discernment” is different from other types of discernment because it is rooted in CHRIST.

So, what part of “Christian Discernment” did you not understand?

You, then, posted to this topic and I responded from a Christian viewpoint. However, I, even if in error, sensed some "hypersensitivity" from YOU because I replied using the “language of Christianity.”

But, you're the one who came in here, essentially, “waving your banner” after I responded to you recounting your previous spiritual gift evaluations in the Christian church.

Now, this forum was completely EMPTY until I opened it up by posting in here; but many other members, who are NOT Christians, feel compelled to respond to the topics here, as if they are offended by the very presence of this forum and my posting in it.

When I posted a thread on “Healing Testimonies,” PhynxofKmt came in to define her “church” and her healing beliefs/experiences and then you came in to co-sign.
http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58758

However, I choose not to participate in the constant BASHING and BELITTLING many of the members here do against others whose beliefs differ from theirs. For a site which espouses to command, teach, and example “RESPECT,” I really don't see much of it when it comes to differing spiritual beliefs.--I don't go all over the board preaching Christianity. No, I come to the Christian forum to speak on my religious beliefs, but so many others feel they have the right to counter/oppose anything I say here.

It looks to me that many Destee members THRIVE and FEED on, either OVERTLY or COVERTLY, attacking another.

So, speaking of “ENERGY,” I get a vibe from you and some others here which is soaked in negativity and separation.

As for “ENERGY,” I sense resentment and anger from you.

Now, that's what I "sense." But, as a Christian, I am taught to PRAY and seek "UNDERSTANDING" so that I can spiritually "DISCERN" if what I sense is right or wrong and if, perhaps, I am being "hypersensitive."

#1. One does not have to believe in christianity to post in this forum.
#2. I am not "resentful" nor "angry".
#3. "christian discernment" is nothing different then any other type of discernment. While I did not read the definition of "discernment" that you presented, I did note that "christian" was not the first word.
#4. As I overstand things here, all forums are open to anyone wishing to respond BASED ON THEIR KNOWLEDGE BASE.
#5. "Respect" does not equal co-signing of whatever I SEE. I co-sign that which I have come to know and which someone else presents.
#6. I forget that christians can only really discourse with other christians...my bad. and christians..."real christians" do not bash nor belittle others...only non--christians get to do that.
#7. There seems to be a rigidity about your desire to have a dialogue with others who are not christian in the christian sub-forum. And a need to control what other's say in the "christian sub-forum".
#8. you asked a question, I answered. I do not recall bashing nor challenging you so I'm not sure where the need to "defend" came from. I made sure to clarify my separate belief of where "god" resides for me. nothing more nothing less.
#9. Destee members are like ere'body else remember...that "microcosm" of the broader society. Many have argued and supporting evidence provided that "Christians" behave in extremely hypocritical manners. Their thinking and behaving rarely match. They have a propensity for lying in fact. They probably need to lie to continue to cover up the fact that the religion itself is; as taught in the bible, is a pack of lies. So you may not want to say..."Destee members...." do thus and such when in fact....ALL AFREEKAN DESCENDANTS behave in this fashion and many are working to correct that. WE have been programmed to do so...behave in that fashion. It too years of programming and will likely take some years to de-program and re-program.

#10. I will not attempt to speak for others here yet I can say for myself...being enslaved in amerikkka represents the "negativity" that I am "soaked" in. amerikkka and it's b.s. teachings, practices and beliefs.

M.E.
:hearts2:

True, I APOLOGIZE.

I was not aware, until now, that each of the sub-forums under the umbrella of “Black/African Study of Spiritual Belief Systems” was not actually meant for study by the adherents of these beliefs but by everyone.

I was not aware that each of these belief sub-forums were intended for a Destee.com community PROJECT.

So, again, I apologize for thinking that the Christianity sub-forum was a place for Christians to discuss and study Christianity. Likewise, I thought the other sub-forums were also designated for Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and African Traditional for the same reason.

09-15-2006

A few proposed the other night in chat that it might be a powerful idea if we, as a group, select texts surrounding a particular belief system, and study them for a month (or three depending on the topic), discuss them here from our own black/african perspectives, with the goal of identifying truths or wisdom contained therein. We could rotate through whatever system or text we deem to have any value for the spirituality of black people.
We could make this a multi-year on-going effort, and should enough momentum gather, we could task some of the great minds here to compile our conclusions into a living document that serves as a framework for spirituality. This means we're having the audacity to create something new forged out of the power of our own collaboration and spiritual focus. What do you think? http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44438

09-18-2006
Kemetkind top 5 systems
1.Traditional African 2. Islam 3. Judaic 4. Christianity 5. Buddhism

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44438&page=2

However, I do find it interesting that this proposal is 2 ½ years old but that NO ONE, until my first post here, paid any attention to the Christianity sub-forum.

(Perhaps, ya'll just haven't had time to get around to it....until NOW, I guess. OR Perhaps, you all had already EXHAUSTED your studies on the other religions and it was just CONICIDENTAL that the Christianity “study” time-slot was also the same time I first posted here.)

But, I do find it interesting that this forum was completely EMPTY until I made the first post here, and I find it equally interesting that, SUDDENLY, the Christianity sub-forum became so fascinating and appealing and thought-provoking to other posters who don't adhere to this religion.

I also find it interesting that the other sub-forums don't appear to have received anywhere near the activity and ATTENTION the Christianity sub-forum has gotten since I started posting in here.

However, again, I APOLOGIZE.

So, I stand corrected, and, in the future, I will govern MYSELF accordingly as YOU and the rest of the Destee “family” render your opinions and viewpoints on Christianity in your collective “STUDY” of “Spiritual Belief Systems.”

And I look forward to YOUR thoughts and feelings on Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and African Traditional as well.

Perhaps, when this collective "STUDY" is ever completed, the Destee community can have it published so that it can be a teaching tool throughout the Diaspora.

But, in the meantime, it looks like yall gotta lot work to do on Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and African Traditional as well.

lol

Many have argued and supporting evidence provided that "Christians" behave in extremely hypocritical manners. Their thinking and behaving rarely match.

:?:

yea like cussin', name calling and "b" slappin' lol

-----------------------------------------
i

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back