Black Spirituality Religion : Christian Devotionals

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014

Read Lamentations 3:22-26

View the Nov-Dec, 2014 Issue
The Lord said to Jacob, “I am with you now, I will protect you everywhere you go.”

- Genesis 28:15 (CEB)

Recently my wife and I travelled overseas for our first holiday in a decade. Not wanting to take my heavy Bible, I purchased a small New Testament, with Psalms and Proverbs. I also packed my copy of The Upper Room for our visit, fully intending to continue my devotional reading each day.

Although it was a wonderful trip, we had only seven days away; everything seemed rushed. When I met my two brothers for the first time in 32 years and visited my old homes on the other side of the world, I never made the time to read my Bible or the meditations at all. But my intentions had been good!

What a delight it was to return home to Australia and to catch up on two or three daily meditations each day, plunging myself back into the word of God! I became re-inspired. I also realized that God always waits for us to return, no matter how near or far we travel, or for whatever reasons we neglect to spend time with God. Always patient and welcoming, God rejoices in our presence.

Thought for the Day
God is always ready to welcome us back.
Prayer
Dear God, thank you for your constant presence in our lives. Forgive us when we distance ourselves from you. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

http://devotional.upperroom.org/devotionals/2014-12-02

Love Feast or Pity-Party?
By Andrea Herzer

“May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.” 2 Thessalonians 3:5

Have you ever had someone criticize you in such a way that their words felt like arrows leveled straight to your heart? It can hurt deeply. Recently, during a visit with a person I dearly love, a few unkind comments were made towards me. These unseen arrows flew straight out of an angry spirit and hit their mark.

I was wounded, but I carefully examined the harm by rehashing the hurtful comments in my mind. This only began a path toward further discouragement, and soon my wound felt beyond repair. I needed a basic and necessary tool for wound-healing: a clear light to examine it under.I needed God’s Word, “a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path” (Psalm 119:105). Only then could I treat it by applying a healing salve.

The wonderful thing about God’s Word is that it is both a light and a salve. When we apply it to our lives — and our wounds — we receive healing.

When I prayed about the issue, the following scripture came to mind: “May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance” (2 Thessalonians 3:5). I knew I needed this, so I asked for it by saying “Lord, please direct my heart into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.” Instead of allowing my wounded heart to direct my thoughts, I allowed God to direct my heart that my thoughts could follow. I began to meditate on the “wide and long and high and deep” love that God has for me in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 3:18)

Today's Devotions​

the first year the second year the third year the fourth year​

Morning
October 20​

Psalms 84:10-12 10Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. 11For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. 12O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.

Psalm 84 is called "the pearl of the psalms." It is neatly divided into three sections, each ending in "Selah." The first section is about the desire to come near to God. The second section is about the journey to the temple. The third is arriving in the temple of God. The Jews most likely sang this as they journeyed to Jerusalem to participate in the feasts of the LORD.
The psalmist loved to be in the temple. He said that just one day there was better than a thousand anywhere else. The temple is now the body of believers, the body of Christ. Do you so desire genuine fellowship like the psalmist who longed to be in the temple? He wished he was one of the Levites assigned to keep one of the gates of the temple. To him that was better than any pleasure the world could offer. Where do you consider true pleasure to be found? If it is hard for you to relate to the psalmist's desire, perhaps you need to ask the LORD for a clearer revelation of genuine fellowship in the presence of God and the horror of the end of this world's pleasures.
He goes on to say that the LORD God is a sun and shield. The sun is the source of life. It provides the energy from which our planet derives all its energy. God is the source of all strength and life. He shields us from the onslaught of the enemy of our soul. He brings good things into our lives. In fact, every good and perfect gift is from the Father of lights (James 1:17).
The psalm ends declaring the blessedness of the man who trusts in God. Where is your trust placed for the activities that lay before you today? Are you trusting in self to get things done, to provide, to meet your family's needs? If so, you are not going to find the peace in your heart that the psalmist is speaking of. But if you are trusting in the Maker of heaven and earth, you will be blessed.
Remember: No matter what comes your way, in Him there is joy, peace, and true blessing!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back