Black People : Christ the Magician, archaeologists say

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    A new discovery. Take it for what is worth....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26972493/from/ET/

By Jennifer Viegas

updated 7:23 a.m. PT, Wed., Oct. 1, 2008
    A team of scientists led by renowned French marine archaeologist Franck Goddio recently announced that they have found a bowl, dating to between the late 2nd century B.C. and the early 1st century A.D., that is engraved with what they believe could be the world's first known reference to Christ.

If the word "Christ" refers to the Biblical Jesus Christ, as is speculated, then the discovery may provide evidence that Christianity and paganism at times intertwined in the ancient world.

The full engraving on the bowl reads, "DIA CHRSTOU O GOISTAIS," which has been interpreted by the excavation team to mean either, "by Christ the magician" or, "the magician by Christ."

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,070
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Blackbird,

Great find Blackbird, great find! However, magic in the Bible is nothing new to the student of the Word of God! When you can throw down a rod, and it turns into a snake(serpent), and you are Egyptian, thats magic. Trust me, there is so much that some don't know about the very book they love to hate, uuummm sort of reminds me of Barack Obama, what say you?

Clyde.................smoking!

3. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Brother Clyde,

I will state the Bible has a alot of magical or miraculous incidents and references to it. As a student of an old school and traditional rootworker, I came to find great value in some of the Biblical passages - although my interpretation and understanding of this book is far more radical than most people, even from those who "hate" the Bible.

In regards to the article referenced, it doesn't necessarily state that the Christ referred to is the Biblical Christ. Some people have speculated a connection, but it is possible that it could elude to a Gnostic Christ. Some people advance the notion that gnosticism existed before the time of formative Christianity as we know it.

I think any treatment of this may beg to ask the question did the appellation "Christ" exist before the one we know as Jesus? Was Christ possibly a term used in a pre-Christian/pre-Jesus environment? Some have said christ is some form of karast (whom origin I have no knowledge of) which is suppose to mean the "Black One." There are many questions to this discovery and the perpherial discussions that may evolve from it.

Anybody able to provide more of a context?

Blackbird

4. tyab14

tyab14 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +78
    Peace bro Blackbird,

I don't know much about this subject but I found these quotes interesting

"The magus might then have used the engraving on the bowl to legitimize his supernatural powers by invoking the name of Christ, the scientists theorize."

"He and his colleagues found the object during an excavation of the underwater ruins of Alexandria's ancient great harbor."

or, "the magician by Christ."

This reminds me of some works I looked at where it talked about Gnosticism (like you said) or Christianity before Christ. Perhaps if the correct interepretation is "magician by Christ" it could refer to a sect (Gnostics) operating under a Christ figure or principle like Osiris or something.

Invoking the name of Christ sounds magickal to me, lol.

When you talk about the name karast it reminds me when I learned that Krishna meant the black one, any connection? Maybe an elevated historical figure once again or just a concept? Thats an interesting find though, especially in old Alexandria which from what I remember was heavy Gnostic territory.

What you think Blackbird?

5. Writspirit

Writspirit Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Is to make myself the best human being I can in th
    Ratings:
    +77
    Christ the Magician

:flame:The word "Christ" was a title not a name. And it is said that Jesus Ben Joseph, which I understand by some, was his last name, was purported to have studied in the Egyptian schools of mystery. Now some say, the name Jesus was quite a common name of that era. Other historians say Jesus was a myth and never a real man but represented a symbol since there were about 13 other avatars born of a virgin, performing miracles, born on December 25th, crucified and reborn, including Horas, the SUN (son) of Isis, from whom the earliest recording of this Christ like being was originated.:flame:

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Peace Bro. Tyab,

It was told by a mentor that Krishna, Karast, and Akasha all issue from the same Yo. I think a greater study of these concepts and any historical connections are at hand. This road may go much deeper than any of us ever suspected.

In Vodou, there is talk about the Three Kings who were the husbands of the 3 Women of Egypt. These three kings - one from Angola, one from Dahomey and the last from Senegal - were bearers of deep "occult secrets" and the 3 Women of Egypt were actually one woman, at different stages of her life, married each of the kings. She is invoked to grant power, wealth and knowledge.

Pardon me if I'm thinking out loud - I'm just trying to filter and flesh some things out.

Blackbird

7. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    True indeed, sister. I used to tell people how Christ was a title and not a name - like President Bush. Bush wasn't the only President, but the one to assume that position and hence title during his age in time.

Blackbird

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,070
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Blackbird,

Your assessment of the find and ramifications thereof is most accurate. Writspirit is correct, Christ is a title, and the name Jesus was very common. I thought it interesting that the article mentioned the degree to which paganism intertwined with Christianity in the ancient world. Some wrongly attempt to separate and isolate the two. Hence interjecting so-called whites into the ancient past, prematurely.

9. tyab14

Ratings:
    +78
    Ok I see, I do remember you telling me about that.

As far as the Christ, I'm wondering if the Gnostics were worshipping, reverancing, or working with an actual elevated historical figure. I remember hearing about Yeshu a magician, but like it was said earlier Christ is a title, so maybe it can refore to a group of people or entities. All in all, I have a feeling that early Christianity or Gnosticism was closer to "African spirituality" as opposed to being a kind of European construct.

Not to get off topic, but this also reminds me of a book by a brother called Africans who wrote the bible that connected some biblical names with national family names.

I may be wrong.

10. tyab14

Ratings:
    +78
    http://watch.pair.com/HRChrist.html

[​IMG]

A brief overview of these teachings cites the Talmud, (treatise Sabbath, folio 104, treatise Sanhedrim, folio 107, and Sota, folio 47) which presents this falsified account of Jesus:
    "...the Toledot Yeshu relates with the most indecent details that Miriam, a hairdresser of Bethlehem,4. affianced to a young man named Jochanan, was seduced by a libertine, Joseph Panther or Pandira, and gave birth to a son whom she named Johosuah or Jeschu. According to the Talmudic authors of the Sota and the Sanhedrim, Jeschu was taken during his boyhood to Egypt, where he was initiated into the secrets doctrines of the priests, and on his return to Palestine gave himself up to the practice of magic. 5. The Toledot Yeshu, however, goes on to say that on reaching manhood, Jeschu learnt the secret of his illegitimacy, on account of which he was driven out of the Synagogue and took refuge for a time in Galilee."

Madame B: "For me, Jesus Christ, that is to say the Man-God of the Christians, copy of the Avatars of all countries, of the Hindu Chrishna as of the Egyptian Horus, was never a historical personage.' Hence the story of His life was merely an allegory founded on the existence of the 'a personage named Jehoshua born at Lud.' But elsewhere she asserted that Jesus may have lived during the Christian era or a century earlier 'as the Sepher Toldoth Jehoshua indicates"

I do remember a brother trying to tell me a long time ago that Yeshua character was an actual person who was taken and his story mixed with mythology, but then I also remember Walter Williams saying "no one to ever walk the earth named Jesus. Who knows!