Black People : Choose One

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by anAfrican, May 20, 2005.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    I like to play with words and acronyms; great mental exercise! Try these on:

No Identity GRanted
    No Identity GRanted to Africans
    No Identity Granted to Africans

I look on the term "African American" as just carrying this even further. To me this says loud and proud that ""i" am NOT an African, nor am "i" an American". Taking two quite strong identities and hybridizing them into something that just flat isn't anything. No wonder everybody gets bent when bush starts talking about "best interests of americans": he ain't talking about japanese americans nor mexican americans nor african americans nor latino americans .... and when was the last time anybody heard anybody referred to as a norwegian american or a swedish american or a german american? sure, they are used, but not in print, not in the news. those folks are all just "americans".

<shrug> "6 million ways to die; choose one."

2. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Personally, I don't call myself an African American or an African.

I call myself an AfroAmerican...as Malcolm X did.

I can't get angry with George Bush or any other white man born in this nation just because they exert and align thier identity to the land in which they were born.

The land originally belong to the Natives before whites stole it so I have just as much right to call myself an American and represent my nation as he does.